daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2016, 09:00 PM   #33941
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Ridiculous topic, but it reminded me when I went to Bratislava by bus (just young people with a tourist agency). Some guys were drinking a bit too much beer, so we had to stop somewhere along a country road. There was also a railway very close to the road, and just as they started peeing right beside it, a passenger train came from somewhere.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2016, 09:20 PM   #33942
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

I now work half of my workload in an office in Rotterdam with an impressive view, 22nd floor. I've never worked, or lived for that matter, so high up (I lived at 12th floor before years ago but that was it). I have a wide view all the way to Den Haag and, on a clear day, Leiden. It's possible to see Kleinpolderlplein knoopunt partially, and get a sideway view of planes landing and taking off Rotterdam International Airport.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 09:25 PM   #33943
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Time to change the topic and trains are good to start with

Last week I was on my way to business trip and as I did not wanted to spend my whole journey in an overcrowded compartment, I had decided to go to the very last passenger railcar that was old and dirty but empty. I was there alone but I realized the window is so dirty I could not see anything through. Then I found out the railcar is enough old to has a window that can be fully opened (so I can pop my head out). I was looking through the window for the whole journey and in one section of track I found a funny thing: Speed camera by the road at the beginning of built-up area that runs along the railway track. The speed camera caught the train, displayed flashing speed of 120 kph and the caption "SLOW DOWN!!!"

I hope nobody is scared while evaluating the data from the speed camera after having realized that every two hours there is a vehicle that hurtling through the village more than twice faster than speed limit

STREETVIEW

Kanadzie, Attus liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 10:24 PM   #33944
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Time to change the topic and trains are good to start with

Last week I was on my way to business trip and as I did not wanted to spend my whole journey in an overcrowded compartment, I had decided to go to the very last passenger railcar that was old and dirty but empty. I was there alone but I realized the window is so dirty I could not see anything through. Then I found out the railcar is enough old to has a window that can be fully opened (so I can pop my head out). I was looking through the window for the whole journey and in one section of track I found a funny thing: Speed camera by the road at the beginning of built-up area that runs along the railway track. The speed camera caught the train, displayed flashing speed of 120 kph and the caption "SLOW DOWN!!!"

I hope nobody is scared while evaluating the data from the speed camera after having realized that every two hours there is a vehicle that hurtling through the village more than twice faster than speed limit

STREETVIEW
This is a picture from January from the speed camera of local police some 40 kilometers north of Helsinki. The picture raised a discussion about the reliability of the speed camera traps.

ChrisZwolle, Rebasepoiss, riiga liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 10:51 PM   #33945
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19424

I've worked with traffic counting radars (temporary setups). It required very precise mounting and adjusting the angle, otherwise you would get very strange results, especially with vehicle classification, but also speed.

Back then, a rubber tube counter was much more reliable and easy to set up than a radar. They could very precisely record speed up to 180 km/h, whereas rubber tube counters are typically mostly used on low-volume secondary roads (those without permanent counting stations). I never used them on roads with a speed limit over 80 km/h, and even traffic counting on 80 km/h roads was rare, as those roads tend to have permanent counters.

Temporary mobile speed traps tend to be less reliable, this is one reason why several countries use a greater margin or 'tolerance' than with fixed speed cameras. Ideally you would verify the mobile speed trap with a laser gun, to make sure you're not getting incorrect results. Even when the equipment is reliable and accurate, the setup may not be as accurate.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 11:02 AM   #33946
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Yesterday, in the centre of Milan, in front of the famous theater "La Scala", a police car tried to overtake a tram, but another tram came in the opposite direction and it didn't end well:

http://milano.repubblica.it/cronaca/.../1/?ref=fbpr#1
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

g.spinoza liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 02:51 PM   #33947
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Instant karma.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 10:47 PM   #33948
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
You are lucky guys. I replaced the current one less than year ago.
It happened twice this year. Once, the windshield had to be replaced, last time it could be repaired. It happened in early 2014 and early 2015 too and the windshield had to be replaced. Previously, it didn't happen for 15 years (since I have my driving license)! I don't understand why it happened so many times in just 2 years...

I had to pay 150 € for replacing the windshield. The rest was paid by insurance.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 04:51 AM   #33949
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

are all those prices at "reputable" garages ?

In Canada you can typically get Chinese windshield for most cars installed for less than $200 CAD / 125 EUR or so, but you have to say you are paying yourself, or you get "insurance price"...
I had a quote to have the windshield on my Mercedes for like $160 (110 EUR)...
Old May 5th, 2016, 04:57 AM   #33950
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Greetings from somewhere in the Rockies... I'm climbing a 4400 m high mountain in a few day.
And when I promise, I deliver:

Greetings from the top of Mount Elbert
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 07:32 PM   #33951
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Yes. In addition, my windshield has defroster.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 09:28 PM   #33952
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post

In Canada you can typically get Chinese windshield for most cars installed for less than $200 CAD / 125 EUR or so, but you have to say you are paying yourself, or you get "insurance price"...
I had a quote to have the windshield on my Mercedes for like $160 (110 EUR)...
The windscreen is a significant component of the chassis structure in most modern cars. It much more than just a piece of glass. I would never enter a business with a less reputed garage selling windscreens from unknown sources.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #33953
bogdymol
bogdymod

I also had a crack in my windscreen, but since it was on the passenger side I drove with it like that for about an year. After the crack started "moving" to the driver's side, I changed it.

I have a Ford Focus from 2013. It has rain/light sensors, as well as 2 or 3 cameras that check the road and warn me if the speed limit changes, if overtaking is allowed or forbidden or if I leave the lane with signal. It also has heating, so during winter I don't have to scratch the windscreen. Pretty nice features overall, but so many sensors make the windscreen more expensive.

I asked at the official Ford workshop for a price, and they said it was around 800 Euro for an original one. As I did not have insurance for it and the car is already out of warranty, I changed it somewhere else for 325 Euro (it is not the same brand as the original one, but this workshop does only this... changes car's windscreens and windows). The new one is installed since January and everything is ok... just like the original one.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 12:14 AM   #33954
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Greetings from the top of Mount Elbert
This is the highest point of the Rocky Mountains? I had no idea, I just knew about Denali (Mount McKinley) and Mount Whitney.
Old May 7th, 2016, 12:20 AM   #33955
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Rocky Mountains are much smaller in geographic area than most people think they are. They do not extend into Alaska or the westernmost states. Mount Elbert is the highest point of the Rocky Mountains. People often think of the Rocky Mountains as all mountains west of the Great Plains, extending to the Pacific, but in reality they cover a much smaller area along the Continental Divide.

Mount Whitney is located in the Sierra Nevada. It is the highest peak in the lower 48 states (the difference with Mt. Elbert is only 20 meters though).

Old May 7th, 2016, 01:29 AM   #33956
Verso
Islander

And Denali is apparently in the Alaska Range.
Old May 7th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #33957
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Mount Whitney is located in the Sierra Nevada. It is the highest peak in the lower 48 states (the difference with Mt. Elbert is only 20 meters though).
I thought the highest peak in Sierra Nevada was Mulhacén, which is also the highest peak in mainland Spain, standing 74 meters higher than Aneto, the runner-up.

Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

cinxxx liked this post
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 11:43 AM   #33958
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You're so funny
Old May 7th, 2016, 02:23 PM   #33959
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

An interesting feature of the Rockies is how easy it is to climb most of its peaks, compared to other North America's mountain ranges. No massive rock walls or things like that. The mountains are big to the natural eye, very massive, yet looks like erosion did a longer job there.

Which is why these mountains are good for skiing combined with the drier snow that commonly falls there.

I also think many people are completely oblivious to the geographical features of anything between the Rockies and the West Coast except the Southern deserts or the Colorado River canyons. The Great Basin is a big unknown.
Old May 7th, 2016, 10:53 PM   #33960
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Last week we had snow, now we have summer; up to nearly 28 °C today in the Netherlands. Benelux was reportedly the warmest area of Europe, which is not common at all. The normal maximum temperature this time of the year is 16 °C.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist liked this post

Tags
highways, motorways