daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2016, 01:59 AM   #33961
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
An interesting feature of the Rockies is how easy it is to climb most of its peaks, compared to other North America's mountain ranges.
Compared to the Alps, too. Settings altitude and lack of oxygen aside, that climb's difficulty is not even in my top 30.
Some days later I also climbed Quandary Peak (4350 m), but since I got acclimatized I didn't even have problems with oxygen.

I'm sorting a lot of pictures I made on I-70, US 24, US 6 and various Colorado routes... next week they will all be online on their respective threads...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2016, 07:22 PM   #33962
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

A very nice example of recovered Hungarian-Slovak relationships emerged yesterday :-) There is an Ice Hockey fever in Slovakia and the very first game on world championship were played against Hungary. There was a reportage from pub in Nove Zamky in Slovakia (mixed area). Whole pub was decorated by Slovak flags, jerseys and flags except two tables that were decorated by Hungarian flags and jerseys The owner said it was the "sector for guests" Unfortunately no one came. It is much better than it was ten years ago when we were blocking our presidents each other or making barricades on border crossings.

Kanadzie, cinxxx, simondanut, piotr71 liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 08:16 PM   #33963
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
A very nice example of recovered Hungarian-Slovak relationships emerged yesterday :-) There is an Ice Hockey fever in Slovakia and the very first game on world championship were played against Hungary. There was a reportage from pub in Nove Zamky in Slovakia (mixed area). Whole pub was decorated by Slovak flags, jerseys and flags except two tables that were decorated by Hungarian flags and jerseys The owner said it was the "sector for guests" Unfortunately no one came. It is much better than it was ten years ago when we were blocking our presidents each other or making barricades on border crossings.
Or maybe fortunately. Otherwise police intervention may have been required in that pub.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #33964
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

I doubt that in mixed areas where people are used to it.
Usually it's outsiders (from any of the sides) who cause trouble in traditional mixed places.

I visited more than one city in Slovakia with important Hungarian presence and people had no problem switching between languages. I had the impression that some were also switching from one to the other during the same conversation.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 09:42 PM   #33965
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I dunno, I think if you walked into a bar in, say, Montreal during game season with a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey you'd get some reaction from the crowd. But they would speak to you in French or English no problem at all
Old May 12th, 2016, 07:27 PM   #33966
bogdymol
bogdymod

Drag race in Bucharest:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 09:06 PM   #33967
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

I somehow know who won

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 10:25 PM   #33968
bogdymol
bogdymod

It's obvious. The other 2 didn't have any chance.

DanielFigFoz liked this post
Old May 13th, 2016, 01:56 AM   #33969
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

reminds me of a different car
Quote:
A new Russian and an old man lie injured side-by-side in an emergency room:
— How did you get here, old fella?
— I had an old Zaporozhets car, and I put my war-trophy Messerschmitt jet engine in it. While driving on a highway, I saw a Ferrari ahead and tried to overtake it. My speed was too high, I lost control and crashed into a tree. And how did you get here?
— I was driving my Ferrari when I saw a Zaporozhets overtaking me. I thought that my car might have broken down and was actually standing still. So I opened the door and walked out...

piotr71 liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 12:33 PM   #33970
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Coppers hard at work in the Netherlands, returning lost goats.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Attus, Verso liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 08:29 PM   #33971
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

It's been raining for a whole week already and not looking any better in the next days.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 08:39 PM   #33972
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The temperature in the Netherlands dropped from 24°C to 12°C in two hours yesterday. A week-long period of summer weather is replaced by much colder weather, rivaling the temperatures of Christmas.
Old May 15th, 2016, 01:10 PM   #33973
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

We had two consecutive days of hailstorms here in Brescia
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2016, 01:18 PM   #33974
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Crazy bus driver in Indonesia

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2016, 02:30 PM   #33975
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

Greetings from Vilnius airport. We had 2 nice days here. Flying to Tallinn for another 1.5 days
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2016, 02:36 PM   #33976
Verso
Islander

A Hungarian guy caught himself 13 times in the same radar in one day in Sebeborci, NE Slovenia. He had to pay €5,250 and got 55 penalty points.

Also, "sebe-borci" means "self-fighters".
Old May 15th, 2016, 07:09 PM   #33977
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I came across an old photo series of French A320 which I took in 2009.

This is what Google Maps looked like in 2009.
Old May 15th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #33978
bogdymol
bogdymod

I was using viamichelin back then...
Old May 15th, 2016, 10:54 PM   #33979
Verso
Islander

And I was using Map24.
Old May 15th, 2016, 11:24 PM   #33980
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

There was some wedding in a house near my building, some rather very music that last 1 hour. I was told they are Albanian or smth.

Tags
highways, motorways