daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2016, 08:31 PM   #34081
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Can any Germans comment on the E-plus mobile internet? My Dutch cell phone operator (KPN) prefers E-plus, but I found it has incredibly slow internet on my trips through Germany, mostly 'E' (edge) and sometimes H+ (HSPA) but almost never 3G, not to mention 4G. Telekom has much better internet speed, but I have to select it manually.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2016, 03:14 AM   #34082
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

H+ is 3G actually.
Old June 19th, 2016, 10:02 AM   #34083
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Oh, my phone switched from H+ to 3G on the E-plus network a few times. H / H+ is also inconveniently slow for mobile internet. Just sending a location via Whatsapp may take up to a minute with E or H. You can't really visit web pages with E/H, it takes forever the load a single page.
Old June 19th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #34084
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Oh, my phone switched from H+ to 3G on the E-plus network a few times. H / H+ is also inconveniently slow for mobile internet. Just sending a location via Whatsapp may take up to a minute with E or H. You can't really visit web pages with E/H, it takes forever the load a single page.
Well. H+ really is "better" than 3G which indicates the basic 3G WCDMA radio transmission layer. However, the actual bandwidth seen by the terminal device is a function of several things, not only of the radio protocol in use.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 11:19 AM   #34085
TrojaA
ß-Retter

Likes (Received): 341

Well, the E-Plus Network improved a lot in the recent years and is now quiet acceptable since the fusion with O².
However it depends a little bit on the area you're trying to access internet. While in cities you won't have much trouble to get a good connection, the opposite will be true if you stay in the countryside.

So that's not going to be the solution, if you have all the time a slow connection. I guess the problem here is that roaming has no priority within the network and so you get slowed down dramatically. This is and was a well-known problem and different carrier handle roaming traffic different. (Although it's not allowed to discriminate roaming traffic, but how the nodes are balanced is a secret of itself)
I did a quick research and there're other people complaining about this, so it seems to be a thing.
TrojaA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 03:00 PM   #34086
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
interesting, when my phone switches from H+ to normal 3G, then it becomes horribly slow on 3G. on H+ tough it works just fine, but there must be something wrong with it because there cannot be such difference between 3G and H+, and it is extremely rarely on 3G, and if it is, it lasts for few seconds or minute only. it is or H+ or E.
of course, on 4G it flies.
Old June 19th, 2016, 06:00 PM   #34087
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
interesting, when my phone switches from H+ to normal 3G, then it becomes horribly slow on 3G. on H+ tough it works just fine, but there must be something wrong with it because there cannot be such difference between 3G and H+, and it is extremely rarely on 3G, and if it is, it lasts for few seconds or minute only. it is or H+ or E.
of course, on 4G it flies.
Sounds a frequency band issue. Initially, the European 3G services were delivered over the 2100 MHz band only, and 3G capable phones supported that band only. Later, part of the 900 MHz band was moved to from 2G services to 3G ones. If your phone supports 2100 MHz only, and you happen to enter an area where your operator delivers most of its data capacity on HSPA+ over 900 MHz, and less WCDMA capacity over 2100 MHz, the result is what you describe. The phone is not always the bottleneck: Perhaps your subscription does not allow to access all bands.

It is good to understand that the mobile data it's always delivered over a shared bandwidth. Many things have an impact to the actual bandwidth.

Sentilj liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 06:12 PM   #34088
ChrisZwolle
Road user

3G was the norm in the Netherlands, H+ was not uncommon, but 3G was dominant on my previous phones. Nowadays 4G coverage is generally excellent. I found 4G coverage also to be very good in Scandinavia, even in more sparsely populated areas.

The band issue could explain the poor internet speed of E plus in Germany with my phone. Almost everywhere I checked I had only 'E' and some limited 'H' in larger cities. But when I switched to Telekom I had 4G on most locations.
Old June 19th, 2016, 06:34 PM   #34089
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

There is sort of a price war on 4G plans in Netherlands. I just got my subscription plan (for which I pay € 38/month, excluding any phone) bumped from 12GB/month to 20GB/month
Old June 19th, 2016, 06:44 PM   #34090
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

What do you do with 20 GB/month? You can sit on phone all day.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #34091
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You only need that for video really. I have a 750 MB subscription and usually only consume half of that due to the fact I have wifi at home and do not watch video via the mobile data network.

I went on a trip through Scandinavia, staying on campsites. 7 out of 8 campsites offered free wifi, sufficiently fast to watch Youtube.
Old June 19th, 2016, 06:56 PM   #34092
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
What do you do with 20 GB/month? You can sit on phone all day.
I use my phone as a camera with instant upload of full-resolution images to Dropbox, for instance.

I also watch news and video during my 3x/week train commute to other city.
Old June 20th, 2016, 10:09 PM   #34093
Verso
Islander

Today I visited something like the Chatroulette (it was something else) and I stumbled upon someone from Antarctica. Too bad we didn't talk to each other.
Old June 20th, 2016, 10:57 PM   #34094
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Omegle?
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 11:54 PM   #34095
Verso
Islander

No, and it doesn't matter. It was one of those where it says automatically where you're from, and it said "Antarctica ".
Old June 21st, 2016, 01:30 AM   #34096
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

So it is the football season in Europe

So in North America, we have all mounted flags onto our cars
Is this popular in other countries?

At the beginning saw mostly (and a large number!) of people with Croat flags mounted to their cars

Then more German, now more Polish and Italian and Portuguese.

I was in a traffic jam the other day, one man had somehow plastered a German flag across the hood of his Toyota and mounted one of the more typical window-mount German flags to his car. Another driver had mounted a very large German flag on the rear bumper of his Dodge Ram pickup truck. I was briefly shocked noticing some kind of defacement in the middle of the flag (aaaaaa, commie!) but it was actually some kind of football logo. The two drivers got alongside each other and started waving and congratulating each other

Curiously the many Italian flags I've seen were all on German-brand cars
And none of the German flags were on such cars (LOL)
Poles don't seem to care and are driving anything.

I wonder if such things happen in Europe. I am thinking, nobody will dare put a flag because of fear of destruction of the car or getting beat up by hooligans
Old June 21st, 2016, 07:51 AM   #34097
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Mounting a small flag on your car is quite popular in Germany.
Old June 21st, 2016, 08:19 AM   #34098
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

In belgium cars have flags all over..., also horns and side mirror caps.
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:17 AM   #34099
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Never seen such flags in Italy
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:55 AM   #34100
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

After Italy won 1-0 last game, I was driving in Kassel, just one car full of Italian decorations came the opposite way. Driver was honking all the time, one guy was out through the panoramic roof waving Italian flag and shouting
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways