daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2016, 11:26 PM   #34241
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

It's said that it's SAFER and faster to merge late because it happens at one location only. If some cars merge earlier, others later, always cars change the lane and cars have to brake again and again. Drivers have to focus to the front, left, right,... Everywhere. Higher risk of rear-end collision.

If it's only one location and zip ("1 car from left, 1 car from right, 1 car from left, 1 car from right,...") works, it's safer and faster.

Of course, if both lanes are (almost) empty, one can merge everywhere w/o any negative impact.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2016, 01:13 AM   #34242
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Lol, I'm the first to comment today's banner.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 09:48 AM   #34243
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
It's said that it's SAFER and faster to merge late because it happens at one location only. If some cars merge earlier, others later, always cars change the lane and cars have to brake again and again. Drivers have to focus to the front, left, right,... Everywhere. Higher risk of rear-end collision.

If it's only one location and zip ("1 car from left, 1 car from right, 1 car from left, 1 car from right,...") works, it's safer and faster.

Of course, if both lanes are (almost) empty, one can merge everywhere w/o any negative impact.
Merging in one location may be safer, but it's not faster at all.
I can't imagine this process to be faster when all cars concentrate on one point, rather than merging at the first easy possibility.
Think of two rivers joining their course: water molecules won't join the other river all in one spot: they distribute over a wider area.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 09:54 AM   #34244
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

That's a wrong analogy. If you want to compare the 2 then I'd like to see a picture of a river where the last 300 meters or so before a narrower bit there's a dry part of riverbed cause all the water has already 'merged'.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 09:59 AM   #34245
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
That's a wrong analogy. If you want to compare the 2 then I'd like to see a picture of a river where the last 300 meters or so before a narrower bit there's a dry part of riverbed cause all the water has already 'merged'.
If water molecules had will, they would be doing that

I see your point. All I am saying is that, in case of heavy traffic, you are right. But when traffic is light, I think you are not. Putting a sign like that, forcing a behavior that is not the best one in every condition, to my opinion is unnecessarily strict.
Old July 28th, 2016, 11:57 AM   #34246
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Dura lex, sed lex... We can't do anything about this sign but to discuss, as I don't think the local road agency reads SSC...
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #34247
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukraroad View Post
Dura lex, sed lex... We can't do anything about this sign but to discuss, as I don't think the local road agency reads SSC...
I know... it's just for the sake of discussion
Old July 28th, 2016, 10:51 PM   #34248
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I can't imagine this process to be faster when all cars concentrate on one point, rather than merging at the first easy possibility.
Again, if the road is "empty", you're right .

According to my experience, if the jam appears "suddenly", everyone slows down. All vehicles (almost) stop. Afterwards, stop & go till the end of the lane. This is what I'm talking about! Or a very busy road.

There would be an easy opportunity to merge earlier only if a driver is sleeping and doesn't go the same speed like the car ahead. I'm quite sure that the "sleeping variant" is slower than the late merge variant! It's proved that the best traffic flow happens when all vehicles constantly drive (almost) on the same speed.

It's a general issue. If just one car slows down, the next one slightly taps on the brake, the next one sees red lights and brakes et cetera. It's a series of reactions. It's possible that cars at the end of the queue must stop. With late merge, this situation happens only at one location. If early merge, this situation happens anywhere anytime many times. The result is worse.

In addition, I've often seen that cars use every gap in a traffic jam (stop & go). This includes space on the left lane which is filled by cars from the right lane just some hundreds of meters in front of the end of the left lane....

btw: Nevertheless, I like the Italian way of driving although I have only "city experience" from Torino...

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Attus, piotr71 liked this post
Old July 28th, 2016, 11:07 PM   #34249
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
btw: Nevertheless, I like the Italian way of driving although I have only "city experience" from Torino...
When I was in Torino, some guy just drove through red light like nothing happened. And when I was in Budapest in 1996, some guy behind us was honking us because we were waiting at red light.
Old July 28th, 2016, 11:18 PM   #34250
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
When I was in Torino, some guy just drove through red light like nothing happened.
I think I already wrote long ago that I was on a business trip in Torino with a colleague. I had a rental car in Italy and we went back to Germany by plane. I took a rental car at Frankfurt airport and my colleague said after I passed the first traffic lights: "We are back in Germany. Forget the Italian way of driving. The last traffic light was red!"...

Kanadzie liked this post
Old July 28th, 2016, 11:32 PM   #34251
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
When I was in Torino, some guy just drove through red light like nothing happened.
They still do, I can assure you. I was shocked when I moved here.
Old July 29th, 2016, 12:57 AM   #34252
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Budapest, finally:

http://dialnice.info/gallery/image_p...image_id=34255
:-)

Old one:
https://www.google.sk/maps/@48.20004...7i13312!8i6656

Verso liked this post

Last edited by volodaaaa; July 29th, 2016 at 01:02 AM.
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 10:48 AM   #34253
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Hello from Dusseldorf.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 04:11 PM   #34254
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

The fastest route between Lille (France) and Trieste (Italy) goes through 7 different countries (F-B-L-D-A-SLO-I), even if France and Italy are neighbouring countries.
https://www.google.it/maps/dir/Lilla...2!2d45.6495264
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Suburbanist, MichiH liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 04:38 PM   #34255
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Only 5, at this time it skips Belgium and Luxembourg and enters Germany directly from France. However, the shorter route still goes through seven countries.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 04:41 PM   #34256
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Usually it's the one that goes through 7 countries that is quickest by 9 minutes, however there are delays in both Belgium and in Luxembourg that accumulate to 22 minutes of extra travel time which tips the scale in favor of the route with the direct FR-D border.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 05:12 PM   #34257
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
The fastest route between Lille (France) and Trieste (Italy) goes through 7 different countries (F-B-L-D-A-SLO-I), even if France and Italy are neighbouring countries.
https://www.google.it/maps/dir/Lilla...2!2d45.6495264
Not tomorrow.

bogdymol liked this post
Old July 29th, 2016, 06:25 PM   #34258
bogdymol
bogdymod

Karawanken tunnel between Austria and Slovenia will be closed tomorrow due to a visit from Vladimir Putin in Slovenia. Now the question is: will Slovenia be the 2nd Kaliningrad for Russia?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Verso liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 06:45 PM   #34259
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

What does the tunnel have to do with Putin? Why can't it stay open?
Old July 29th, 2016, 06:56 PM   #34260
bogdymol
bogdymod

I haven't understood that either.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways