daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 7th, 2016, 01:03 AM   #34301
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Florida had these for a while in the late 80s. Pic is from a 1987 travel programme, but I don't know where in Flordia this short mention of "some places in Florida putting up familiar road signs for Europeans" was filmed though.

riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2016, 04:43 PM   #34302
jdb.2

Likes (Received): 263

How many cars could there be in the USA with metric speedometers?
I imagine even less than in the UK, so this looks a solution for a non-existent problem.

Are imported cars with metric speedometers legal to drive in the USA?

Last edited by jdb.2; August 7th, 2016 at 04:49 PM.
jdb.2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2016, 06:14 PM   #34303
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

It is very typical for US cars to have dual-reading speedometers with a secondary km/h scale, probably over 90% of cars are set up in such a way
Import rules for foreign cars are hard but tourists don't have to do anything
Old August 7th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #34304
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I've just talked to a family from South Korea staying here in Ljubljana for a couple of days and man, these people are like from the Moon. Smiling all the time and extremely shy. Daughters were looking down in the floor and almost didn't shake hands with me, lol. I would understand if they were from North Korea.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2016, 08:07 PM   #34305
Kanadzie

go bring them soju then will talk more

Verso liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 01:56 AM   #34306
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb.2 View Post
How many cars could there be in the USA with metric speedometers?
I imagine even less than in the UK, so this looks a solution for a non-existent problem.

Are imported cars with metric speedometers legal to drive in the USA?
Speedometers on new cars in the UK have had to show kilometres since 1984. Apparently un some cars you can switch between kilometres and miles but normally speedometers are dual-reading.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #34307
jdb.2

Likes (Received): 263

Cars with digital dashboard can be switched between km/h and mph, although this setting is not user-accessible on cars I have seen.
jdb.2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 04:44 PM   #34308
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Some areas in Italy have already Street View imagery from June 2016. That's a pretty fast upload.
https://www.google.it/maps/@45.67027...7i13312!8i6656
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Alex_ZR liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 06:31 PM   #34309
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

I was surprised they updated a suburb of Madrid to that same date a few days ago. That was fast.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2016, 02:13 PM   #34310
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Don't come to Huesca in the next few days, we've got mad. Also, this is a no rape zone, but not to the point of signing that at the entrance like Pamplona did.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2016, 08:10 PM   #34311
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Comparison of old and new Google Maps mapping for Denver, Colorado.

old:

new:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol, EasySeven, riiga, Rebasepoiss liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2016, 01:09 AM   #34312
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Greetings from London
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2016, 07:17 AM   #34313
bogdymol
bogdymod

I have also been to UK 2 times in the past 2 weeks... And 25 different times in the past 2 years...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2016, 10:33 AM   #34314
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Greetings from London
I don't believe

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #34315
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I've just talked to a family from South Korea staying here in Ljubljana for a couple of days and man, these people are like from the Moon. Smiling all the time and extremely shy. Daughters were looking down in the floor and almost didn't shake hands with me, lol. I would understand if they were from North Korea.
maybe shaking hands is something with their cultural habbits
last year we had some exhibition of photography from Iran in my city, some culture attaché from Iranian embassy came there, and we have lots of women in our city council. it was little bit funny but also uncomfortable to see him avoiding shaking hands with women (he was taking a bow instead )
Old August 13th, 2016, 02:49 PM   #34316
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
maybe shaking hands is something with their cultural habbits
last year we had some exhibition of photography from Iran in my city, some culture attaché from Iranian embassy came there, and we have lots of women in our city council. it was little bit funny but also uncomfortable to see him avoiding shaking hands with women (he was taking a bow instead )
Shaking hands is seen as a rude thing among certain cultures, certainly it is in the Muslim world.
Some years ago Berlusconi almost created a diplomatic incident when he tried to shake hands with a Muslim woman, ignoring that it wasn't acceptable in her culture.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2016, 04:12 PM   #34317
Kanadzie

But clearly Berlusconi was trying hard to do the acceptable thing for her culture
If he was following Berlusconi-culture he would have been not shaking her hand, but something altogether different
Old August 13th, 2016, 06:37 PM   #34318
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Shaking hands is seen as a rude thing among certain cultures, certainly it is in the Muslim world.
Some years ago Berlusconi almost created a diplomatic incident when he tried to shake hands with a Muslim woman, ignoring that it wasn't acceptable in her culture.
It is obviously rude to shake hands only on intersexual basis. Men's handshake is acceptable there.

Frankly, in this described situation I find Iranian behaviour rude because it was happening in the country where shaking hands with women is normal thing.

Kanadzie, Rebasepoiss liked this post

Last edited by x-type; August 14th, 2016 at 07:25 PM.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 10:04 PM   #34319
bogdymol
bogdymod

My car turned older today...

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Blackraven, Nordic20T liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 10:12 PM   #34320
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

When I bought my first car in 2005, a 1994 Toyota Corolla, it was recommended not to buy a car from the early 1990s with much more than 100,000 kms on it if you wanted a reliable car.

I'm not sure how it is today. I bought a nearly new car in January (show model with only 12,000 kms on it) so I don't have to worry about mileage for a while. But some people say that today's downsized engines don't last very long due to the high load.

If you said 15 years ago that you would buy a large family car with a 1.4 L engine, people would say you're crazy. Even MPV's like Opel Zafira have entry-level engines starting with 1.4 L. A Ford C-Max even starts with a 1.0 L three-cylinder engine.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways