daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2016, 10:36 PM   #34321
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
My car turned older today...
I expect that my car would reach that mileage in...2024.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2016, 07:03 PM   #34322
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
If you said 15 years ago that you would buy a large family car with a 1.4 L engine, people would say you're crazy. Even MPV's like Opel Zafira have entry-level engines starting with 1.4 L. A Ford C-Max even starts with a 1.0 L three-cylinder engine.
they put it even in Mondeo
but that is ok, technology has gone far enough to hold it reliable (unfortunately, we will hardly have cars making 600.000 km anymore, even Mazda 3 with giant 2,2 diesel - no way).

i find it ok. if modern diesel must have turbo boost, why petrol engines wouldn't have it too? look at Talisman - only 1,6 litres diesel engines are available. 6-7 years ago the bottom was 2,0, so similar trend is with diesels, although we will hardly see 1,0 TDI in Passat
Old August 16th, 2016, 11:08 PM   #34323
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Personally, I'm not convinced about having a three cylinder engine on a compact car (C-segment vehicle).

As for executive mid-size (e.g. D-segment), 2000cc and above is the bare minimum...........and which is why for the Peugeot 508, it's best to go with the GT variant (and its 2.2 liter diesel engine)

winnipeg liked this post
Blackraven está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 11:28 PM   #34324
Festin
Changeable constant

Likes (Received): 1458

Quote:

If you said 15 years ago that you would buy a large family car with a 1.4 L engine, people would say you're crazy. Even MPV's like Opel Zafira have entry-level engines starting with 1.4 L. A Ford C-Max even starts with a 1.0 L three-cylinder engine.
Those cars doesnt last long. A family car with anything less than 2.0 is not recommended if you are thinking long term or buying used one.
But also it depends on how you use it. Are just going to drive kids to school and training in the local area I doubt it is any problem. But are you going on long car trips, no way.
I personally always try to go for the topmodell from the manufactor. I would never buy a V50 from volvo but would try to get the same class from Skoda Octavia instead. But v70 is not a problem since that it is the main car. (Just for example, not sure if v50 are still produced and v70 are going to get replaced by a bigger v90)
Festin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 11:35 PM   #34325
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
When I bought my first car in 2005, a 1994 Toyota Corolla, it was recommended not to buy a car from the early 1990s with much more than 100,000 kms on it if you wanted a reliable car.

I'm not sure how it is today. I bought a nearly new car in January (show model with only 12,000 kms on it) so I don't have to worry about mileage for a while. But some people say that today's downsized engines don't last very long due to the high load.

I am not sure. We were used to have cheaper but new cars in our family. We usually sell them once they reached 140 000 kms or 5-6 years. You can still get enough money back if you had taken care of it.

Now my car is 9 years old and slightly below 200 000 kms. This year, I spent about 2 500 € on repairs. Almost everything got broken and I am still afraid what will be the next one. However the car was still reliable in 2015.

I am to buy Kia Ceed SW in next 3 months, once my trial period is over (want to use leasing service).

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 11:47 PM   #34326
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Personally, I'm not convinced about having a three cylinder engine on a compact car (C-segment vehicle).

As for executive mid-size (e.g. D-segment), 2000cc and above is the bare minimum...........and which is why for the Peugeot 508, it's best to go with the GT variant (and its 2.2 liter diesel engine)
you see, it is out of fashion. outdated i'd say. 508 is already quite old model, and i think it is being sold only with 1,6 and 2,0 HDi diesels (and 1,6 turbo petrol). i bet that new model will be based on 1,6 engines, both petrol and diesel.

or Volvo S/V90. only 2,0 litres (bi)turbo engines, diesel and petrol. 5 years ago such car would demand 6 cylinder engines, at leat 2,5 or 3,0 litres.

i think that Mazda is the only manufacturer who still doesn't have small turbo engines to offer.
Old August 17th, 2016, 06:32 AM   #34327
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
they put it even in Mondeo
but that is ok, technology has gone far enough to hold it reliable (unfortunately, we will hardly have cars making 600.000 km anymore, even Mazda 3 with giant 2,2 diesel - no way).

i find it ok. if modern diesel must have turbo boost, why petrol engines wouldn't have it too? look at Talisman - only 1,6 litres diesel engines are available. 6-7 years ago the bottom was 2,0, so similar trend is with diesels, although we will hardly see 1,0 TDI in Passat
Diesel and petrol... those are quite different pressures, temperatures and rpms.

All those have substantial effect on the motor wear. Not mentioning that all those additional parts are having their own problems.

On the other side, the production quality and quality control are tremendously improved over the years.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 11:22 AM   #34328
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Diesel and petrol... those are quite different pressures, temperatures and rpms.
Of course, but the trends are the same. Could you have imagined 1,6 litres diesel in D-segment 10 years ago? the same as 1,2 petrol.
Old August 17th, 2016, 12:34 PM   #34329
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Even MPV's like Opel Zafira have entry-level engines starting with 1.4 L. A Ford C-Max even starts with a 1.0 L three-cylinder engine.
My previous car was Skoda Yeti with a 1.2 litre engine and a 7-speed DSG gearbox. I was quite amazed how powerful it was. There has been some noise around the durability of that box. Anyway, in my driving style the first 100,000 km were without any problems.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 01:23 PM   #34330
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
i think that Mazda is the only manufacturer who still doesn't have small turbo engines to offer.
My parents have bought a Mazda CX-3, 2.0 L petrol engine, 120 hp, 2 weeks ago. I found it slightly under-powered for a 2.0 L engine, but on the other side it might be more reliable on the long run (they intend to keep the car for many years).

This is the first photo, from when they picked it up from the dealer:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

ChrisZwolle, cinxxx liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 01:29 PM   #34331
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

What are your opinion on (now bankrupt) SAAB cars?
Old August 17th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #34332
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

A nice car if you're over 50

Seriously, most SAAB drivers seem to be gray, middle-aged men.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 01:38 PM   #34333
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

I just hit the 170,000 km mark with 7-years-old 1.4 l diesel Peugeot 207. The engine is seriously too weak for the car (it doesn't reach 70 hp) but I had no major problems. I only changed the cam belt at around 140,000 km...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 02:29 PM   #34334
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

My previous Honda accord reached 350.000 km and another 100.000 could be done easily but new owner was not paying attention to sudden strange noise from the machine. In a few weeks cam broke and destroyed the engine.
I bought current one (2010 model, 2.4 l 200 hp, automatic) with 79.000 km and now has 125.000 km in just a year and a half. Before I was very much against automatic transmission but now I can't live without it. Also I like bigger engines, as they have more torque and are more durable as the don't need very expensive electronics and turbines. It eats a bit more oil than smaller engines but that is easy to handle.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 03:38 PM   #34335
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Funny thread title in Aaroads forum
http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=17301.0
Austria (without kangourous) and Slovenia (never been with the Czechs)
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 08:15 PM   #34336
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

There are some crazy titles out there . One of them was 'a modest proposal' for renumbering every interstate to a split route of the Western I-86. IIRC I-95 in Maine became I-86 followed by 31 directional suffixes. In words of formulanone (edit: not one of the admins as I previously thought), 'What has been SEEN cannot be WNSEEN'.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Last edited by CNGL; August 18th, 2016 at 11:21 AM.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2016, 12:18 AM   #34337
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
A Ford C-Max even starts with a 1.0 L three-cylinder engine.
I drove a Ford Focus with 1.0 L turbo engine last September (125hp). It was quite comfortable to drive and easy to reach 180km/h but my 10 years old 2.0 L diesel turbo Ford Focus was a little bit faster. My new Ford Focus has a 2.0 L gasoline turbo engine though...

It's turning 5 months tomorrow and it has 25,000km. It's currently in a car repair shop because of defect tire sensors.......... They've changed them today but an online test is required. Their internet was damn slow and they couldn't make the test...... Modern techniques....

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2016, 06:17 AM   #34338
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
you see, it is out of fashion. outdated i'd say. 508 is already quite old model, and i think it is being sold only with 1,6 and 2,0 HDi diesels (and 1,6 turbo petrol). i bet that new model will be based on 1,6 engines, both petrol and diesel.
The 508 already had its MMC facelift...........so probably, a Full Model Change would be coming in 2-3 years time.

Now as for your comment, only 1.6 and 2.0 liter displacement engines are being sold in the EU (or any market that requires Euro 5-6).

For markets that only require Euro 2-4, then the 2.2 engine is being sold...........and the Philippines is one of the 'dumping grounds' that Peugeot can use to sell their 508 GT with their existing 2.2 liter diesel.

Quote:
or Volvo S/V90. only 2,0 litres (bi)turbo engines, diesel and petrol. 5 years ago such car would demand 6 cylinder engines, at leat 2,5 or 3,0 litres.
Volvo is now mostly going with the four-banger approach (as they don't have rights with Yamaha to sell the 4.4 liter V8 anymore )

Quote:
Mazda has a put a turbo on their 2.5 liter petrol/gasoline engine for the CX9..........but I don't think it will be sold in Europe afaik.

P.S.
Anyways, my dream car is still the

BMW M5 F10

One day you will be mine
Blackraven está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 10:05 AM   #34339
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Bad earthquake in Central Italy this morning, it destroyed almost completely three little towns (Accumoli, Amatrice, Pescara del Tronto). Some pictures:

13 reported dead in the first hours. Unfortunately, it seems that many more are to come.

Amatrice is known for being the birthplace of famous "amatriciana" sauce for pasta.

EDIT: Transport-wise, it seems that 2 viaducts on SS 4 near Accumoli moved 15 cm. The road is still open to allow operation of search and rescue and hospitalization of those in need. Another bridge near Amatrice, on SS 260, is about to collapse.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 10:23 AM   #34340
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

That's bad. Is there significant damage in the larger cities in the region? Terni, Foligno and Ascoli Piceno are only 30 - 40 kilometers away from the epicenter. Not to mention L'Aquila...
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways