daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2016, 10:29 AM   #34341
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's bad. Is there significant damage in the larger cities in the region? Terni, Foligno and Ascoli Piceno are only 30 - 40 kilometers away from the epicenter. Not to mention L'Aquila...
It seems that destruction is localized to few towns around the Accumoli epicenter. Some damage also at Norcia and Castelluccio di Norcia, but no consequences on larger cities.
It has been reported that it was felt in Rome, Naples, Florence and all the way north up to Rimini.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2016, 02:07 PM   #34342
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It has been reported that it was felt in Rome, Naples, Florence and all the way north up to Rimini.
I didn't feel it, but it was felt in higher buildings in Ljubljana and even Maribor. So terrible.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 10:00 PM   #34343
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

An image of SS 4 Salaria road damaged by the quake. Unfortunately death toll has risen to a dreadful figure of 120.

http://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/201...?ref=HRESS-2#1
Old August 25th, 2016, 03:32 PM   #34344
Verso
Islander

Apparently these old houses in Italy are not suitable for living any more. Is it possible to adjust them for earthquakes or not?
Old August 25th, 2016, 04:07 PM   #34345
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Apparently these old houses in Italy are not suitable for living any more. Is it possible to adjust them for earthquakes or not?
Newspapers are now pointing out the fact that it would need 100 billion euro to adjust these old buildings to be earthquake-proof. A friend of mine, an engineer, told me that in the vast majority of cases you can't patch them up to be compliant with today's requirement and it would be cheaper and safer to tear them down and rebuild them.
Old August 25th, 2016, 04:23 PM   #34346
Verso
Islander

^ I thought so. It would be a pity to just bulldoze all those charming old towns, but living there is becoming Russian roulette.
Old August 25th, 2016, 04:56 PM   #34347
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Hopefully they will rebuild these villages like before but with modern safety standards. I hope they won't do like in L'Aquila, where they put people in poorly built apartment blocks built where there used to be countryside and left much of the old city in ruin.
A good example of reconstruction is Norcia, that was damaged by earthquakes twice, in 1979 and in 1997. Since it was rebuilt with modern standards, it didn't receive serious damages this time, despite being quite close to the epicentre.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 05:44 AM   #34348
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

From my understanding, Italy is the place in Europe that has the highest-level of seismic activity. As such, building codes in Italy have been made stricter so that there would be higher levels of earthquake resistance (and I believe that Italy has also integrated provisions of Eurocode 8 which detail EU-wide standards for earthquake-resistant structures)

Unfortunately, for those old ancient houses and buildings that have existed for decades, centuries..........or even thousands of years, they did not stand a chance at all in this earthquake (compared to 21st century structures).

Thankfully, with the recent seismic data that was captured from this recent earthquake, it will definitely provide more academic info for seismic studies and it will encourage everyone to invest in earthquake retrofitting......and to build houses & structures with greater seismic resistance.
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 12:24 PM   #34349
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
From my understanding, Italy is the place in Europe that has the highest-level of seismic activity. As such, building codes in Italy have been made stricter so that there would be higher levels of earthquake resistance (and I believe that Italy has also integrated provisions of Eurocode 8 which detail EU-wide standards for earthquake-resistant structures)
This chart shows a statistical model of the seismic risks in Europe. Italy, Balkan and Iceland are located on the most risky areas. (Sorry about the size of the image. Cannot reduce without losing readability.)

ChrisZwolle, 8166UY, riiga liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #34350
Verso
Islander

I'm eating some grapes and there are spiders in them. o_O The grapes are really good, but I'll avoid this type in the future, because I hate spiders.
Old August 27th, 2016, 12:01 AM   #34351
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
I'm eating some grapes and there are spiders in them. o_O The grapes are really good, but I'll avoid this type in the future, because I hate spiders.
Oh, common, like we say to kids, the small beast don't eat the bigger one...

At least you can say that those grapes were not so much chemicaly treated with pesticides or others things like that who will hurt you much more than this poor little spider !!

Kanadzie liked this post
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2016, 12:36 AM   #34352
Verso
Islander

Three spiders, not just one. It pissed me off because I rinsed the grapes for really long, so I thought they were clean... and then I almost eat a spider. The grapes were very close to each other, I guess spiders were stuck. But you're right, it's all bio.

winnipeg liked this post
Old August 27th, 2016, 12:51 PM   #34353
winnipeg

Just saw this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns30XeulhHo a compilation of crashes inside Slovak tunnels made by the national motorway company.... with a special music

bogdymol liked this post
Old August 27th, 2016, 04:34 PM   #34354
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Greetings from (barely inside) France
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

winnipeg liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #34355
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
I love to eat grapes
Well I drink them at least no chance of spider

winnipeg liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2016, 11:35 PM   #34356
bogdymol
bogdymod

Milky Way photographed by me half an hour ago in the back yard of the house where I live:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

cinxxx, Suburbanist, winnipeg, riiga, Attus and 3 others liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 12:50 AM   #34357
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Milky Way photographed by me half an hour ago in the back yard of the house where I live:

http://i.imgur.com/gtFZrND.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VJNdJRZ.jpg
Oh very nice, you must live in a remote area to have that less light polution, you must be lucky in that way!

I also took some stars photos 3 weeks ago when I traveled in Austria, I managed to be inside austrian alps (one of the part of Europe with the less light polution), during night when it was the perseids time (lots of shooting stars), I was completly alone in the full dark at 1800m (and 2°C outside), it was a bit scary but my eyes enjoyed the show I saw the most impressive sky and the most impressive shooting stars that I never saw before... Unfortunatly the photos I made are not really representative of what I saw, it was my first stars photography ever and I probably choose the wrong lens to bring with me, but it's okay...

(Those photos are only a bit color edited with Lightroom, I don't have the skills to use Photoshop )

And before that I also photographed a good looking Austrian cow on the road to the top

Verso, bogdymol, makaveli6, cinxxx, riiga and 4 others liked this post
Old August 31st, 2016, 12:54 AM   #34358
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Since Google Maps doesn't fully work in South Korea due to legal issues, the roads are still displayed in the old GMaps colour scheme. Note the difference between North and South Korea:

Or between South Korea and Japan if you prefer:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned here.

winnipeg, ChrisZwolle liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 01:35 PM   #34359
Verso
Islander

I've just encountered a Geisterfahrer! Some hundred-year-old grandpa is driving in wrong direction on Celovška cesta in Ljubljana (speed limit 70 km/h). And there's a car from Turkey ahead of me, lol.
Old August 31st, 2016, 01:53 PM   #34360
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

It's amazing how German language has a specific word for this

Tags
highways, motorways