daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 31st, 2016, 03:47 PM   #34361
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

what is happening with this SK Google Map?

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2016, 04:13 PM   #34362
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
what is happening with this SK Google Map?
https://koreana.quora.com/Why-Google...Internet-Rules
Google Maps can't be used to plan driving routes in SK because it's banned due to national security concerns.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 04:41 PM   #34363
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It's amazing how German language has a specific word for this
Ghost driver. This was the first time I encountered this, but luckily it didn't happen on a motorway. The grandpa created a traffic jam and I don't know why he didn't turn around. I guess he was way too confused.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 04:50 PM   #34364
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

i have met it once, fortunately on almost empty motorway in the middle of the night, and fortunately in other lane (i was driving parallely to him)
Old August 31st, 2016, 05:00 PM   #34365
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i have met it once, fortunately on almost empty motorway in the middle of the night, and fortunately in other lane (i was driving parallely to him)
How long?
Old August 31st, 2016, 05:18 PM   #34366
Verso
Islander

Exact location. He could've easily turned left to the gas station or crossed the greenery to the other side.
Old August 31st, 2016, 05:35 PM   #34367
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
How long?
i was going much faster than him, so it lasted few hunderds of meters, maybe 1 km. i didn't pay attention too much because my automatic reaction was calling police, but i saw him in backmirrors stopping and probably turning.
Old August 31st, 2016, 06:46 PM   #34368
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Speaking of German words, here's a video for you
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 08:17 PM   #34369
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

I like that channel :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 11:22 PM   #34370
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

My favorite German word is the eighty-letter one, Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft .
Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
https://koreana.quora.com/Why-Google...Internet-Rules
Google Maps can't be used to plan driving routes in SK because it's banned due to national security concerns.
Erm, South Korea ain't North Korea, ironically. Interestingly enough, Google Maps works fine in China, even if it's blocked there.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 11:25 PM   #34371
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Interestingly enough, Google Maps works fine in China, even if it's blocked there.
Really? Ever zoomed in on Satellite view? There's a reason that the labels are totally off-sync with the satellite view, Google doesn't just do that for funsies.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 11:46 PM   #34372
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

There is this funny story about a postcard that a tourist posted to a farmhouse they stayed in Iceland, and the family who eventually got the envelope shared it with local media

winnipeg, bogdymol liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 11:49 PM   #34373
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Really? Ever zoomed in on Satellite view? There's a reason that the labels are totally off-sync with the satellite view, Google doesn't just do that for funsies.
That is due to the use of two different coordinate grids for map and satellite (the latter being the 'correct' one).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2016, 12:37 PM   #34374
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Greetings from Greece, I have luckily survived the Balkan tour Since I have only mobile phone, I will desribe the route without pictures for the time being.

The route was as such: Bratislava - Budapest - Szeged - Arad - Caransebes - Orsova - Calafat - Vidin - Montana - Vratsa -Sofia - Serres - Thessaloniki - Larissa.

I would not like to waste time describing the borigly perfect E75 road through Slovakia and Hungary. I will start in Szeged then. The M43 road was in perfect condition but without petrol stations. According to technical properties (curves, elevation) it was more like expresway than motorway. The Nadlak border crossing was very relaxed, approximately 15 cars were in line at time we had arrived. There was only one check - a Hungarian one (which is strange, I would expect Romanian one at the entry to Romania and Hungarian one at the entry to Hungary). The check-out took 20 minutes which was perfect considering I was standing in much slower line (out of two).

The A1 section in Romania seemed like expressway too, at least before we came arround Arad. After that it looked like fully fledged motorway - except petrol stations. It was like miniature of petrol station. Like container with two stands and minishop. The A6 motorway was also resembling expressway.

I was positively suprised about the condition of primary roads in Romania. Wow what a standard. The road marking the traffic signs, it was like woow. The best I have ever seen. The road signs were very clear and legible. The only discrepancy was Calafat direction which was signposted at A1 motorway and then disappeared. It reappeared only after Severin city. The Lugoj - Caransebes secttion was quite full with loads of lorries. Carnsebes - Orsova was much more relaxed - only few cars. Lots of Romanians drove under limit which was strange to me (I was expecting Balkan wildness :-) ). Saw only two cops and was flashed out by ongoing vehicles in both cases. The scenery between Caransebes and Orsova was perfect. I really enjoyed the valleys, mountains and curves with empty roads. We stayed in Orsova overnight - nice and cosy town at the Danube riverbank. Next morning we went to Dubova to see the narrowest section of Iron Gates. As we set off in dark we caught the sunset with fog. The hills, the monastery, the stone cut face - stunning experience and breathtaking scenery. However the quality of roads significantly decreased as we left national roads.

The Orsova - Severin section was also amazing and I have enjoyed it. The iron gates dam and the Iron Gates gorge is worth seeing. The time passes by very fast as we were admiring the scenery that we get deeply behind our itinerary. The Severin - Calafat section was very boring- flatland with no curves. Only few foreign cars.

The Calafat - Vidin bridge was nice. The border crossing worked in funny mode: there were one booth with two offices. In first office (first window) I hand in my passports and the Romanian officer also asked for the vehicle registration certificate, he then waved me off to proceed. I complained that I want my docs back and he responded that he passed it to Bulgarian counterpart through the interior door of the booth. The Bulgarian officer was very polite and smiling, he checked the passports and was curiously investigating the other documents I got it back then. The second booth was bridge toll station (6Eur per car). I tried to pay by debt card but was not succesful. It was possible to pay by EUR cash too. The bridge is very nice but the passing is booring as the speed limit is 60 kph and railings is too tall to watch the danube.

I would not like to provoke, but the whole project seems to be too overestimated. I was the third car in line (only one line was there) and saw almost no international transport. The bridge seemed to fulfil the regional needs only. The intensity of transport was literally nothing comparing it to E75 through Serbia and Macedonia.

The road quality arround Vidin was much better than I saw from StreetViewing. But the road marking dissapeared No divider line no shoulder line no lines at all Even the asphalt was brand new (the one that could be perfect for rollerscating or kick-scootering). Before my journey I have asked Bulgarians in BG section which road is better to get Montana city, if nr. 1 or nr. 11. According to the state of my knowledge I would opt for 11 (better scenery, better entrance to Montana without wandering throug residential streets etc.) They suggested my road nr. 1 as it is in better condition.

When I got to the intersection 1/11 and saw the diversion for vehicles above 7t through nr. 11 my heart jumped up from joy. I opted for 1 as I saw the brand new asphalt and imagined road without lorries.

The happiness did not last long. After three curves we come to section (approx 70 m long) under construction. We had to proceed through unpaved road (!) full of sharp gravel (not the one at the see bottom in Croatia, but the one similar to bottom of railway track). I drove at 10 kph. The bad news - the perfect sections were alternated by the constructions sites at aprroximately 30 places. Sometimes I recalled the Yakutsk motorway (just google it ). Damn I was swearing. The marking was bad too. We had to get it done to accomodation check in Greece so I drove 120 at the perfect sections. What a adrenalite sport it was when the perfect road turned to unpaved on after a horizon or curve The brand new 2+2 bypass of Montana (still missing in my navi and M) helped a lot. THe traffic was very low. I passed and overtook 4 - 6 vehicles (there were no lorries at least). The road between Montana and A1 motorway was okay. No lines, full of patches, but no bumps. Was driveable at 100kph. There were a lot of lorries and a lot of prostitutes at roadside rest areas (I suppose, a barely dressed women pulling up their miniskirts, wearing deep cut tops and playing with hair alone at roadide rest areas probably were not waiting for buses. But I must admit they were looking like a top models comparing it to ours - Slovak ones) . The bypass of Vratsa was good except the level crossing (!). The motorway to Sofia was also nice (3+3) but in worse condition and tunnels with dark like it was in cave without illumination. The eastern bypass of Sofia was 1+1 and in very bad condition. It was impossible to even reach the speed limit. Full of potholes. In contrary, the motorway Sofia Blageovgrad was pure delight. Driving at 160 kph was a joy. Except the speed limits of 70 kph in front of every bridge. Some were limited to bad weather but some were general. It seems to me stupid to slow down from 140 tom 70 only because of bridge. I understand the side wind, but it occurs all arround the Europe.

The section to Kulata was okay. Border checks with Greece was nice, Bulgarians were polite so Greeks were (they were just smiling and lazy even to wave me off - so they only indicated I could go on with their eyes ).

Greeks also did a good job from Promahonas to Thessaloniki. Good road marking. The section to Larissa looks very American - wide 3+3 motorway, sometimes 4+4. But you pay toll wery frequently comparing it to A2 motorway to Alexandroupoli. It is not fair for locals.

The quality of Greek road marking is disaster, especially on regional roads. No "main street" signs, no additional signs indicating the shape of intersection with priority road, no "lane alignment" sign, so I had to struggle with locals when I accidentally found myself in turing lane with intention to go straight (they are note very polite on roads). And I think the STOP sign is only informative in Greece. Three times I try to stop at stop sign and the vehicle behind my honked and almost crashed into me The strangest thing I saw was the level crossing in Greece with positive light and three STOP sings. The importance of positive light is then very disputable (although I slow down or stop my car at every level crossing to check whether there is no train approaching).

But it was perfect. Now I thinking over which route to take on my journey back home.

PS: sorry for typos - my cell phone gets me angry with the spell check (which is far from being intuitve)

bogdymol, alleks, Alpin, winnipeg, Kanadzie and 2 others liked this post

Last edited by volodaaaa; September 1st, 2016 at 12:45 PM.
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2016, 11:07 PM   #34375
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Video in link, must see

Quote:
Private helicopter pilot performs jaw-dropping rescue of stranded tourist 2000m up on the mountainside - after professional team failed to complete the mission and at first told him not to

- Pilot Constantin Apăvăloaei saved a severely injured 44-year-old woman
- She was stuck 2000 metres up on the Carpathian Mountains in Romania
- Professional SMURD rescue team failed their mission two hours earlier
- At first they had decided to deny Mr Apăvăloaei's rescue request

With astonishing skill he reverses the helicopter backwards towards the hiker, from Bucharest, with its tail facing the mountainside.
Old September 1st, 2016, 11:55 PM   #34376
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Constantin Apăvăloaei
Letter "u" missing. And yeah, crazy manoeuvre.
Old September 1st, 2016, 11:57 PM   #34377
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

We have some strange vowel combinations, no "u" needed there.
Google Romanian diphthongs, triphthongs
Old September 2nd, 2016, 12:18 AM   #34378
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Greetings from Greece, I have luckily survived the Balkan tour Since I have only mobile phone, I will desribe the route without pictures for the time being.
Very very nice, kind of a "pavement" (that's how we call a huge post with such quantity of text and no pictures or smileys inside, on a french big forum I go ), but it was very pleasant to read, and I loved the details like the "informative greek Stop"

It must have been hard to write all this on phone...

I also planed to do a "Balkan tour" during september, a tour that I planed for 2015 but I didn't had time to make it... so I will make it this month (before that I leave Romania in mid-2017, because when I will be back in France, it will be obviously much far from Balkans than I am now.... ).

I planned to see essentialy Sarajevo, Mostar, Dubrovnik, Budva and Montenegro then Bar and after probably Albania then Macedonia and Skopje, then certainly Kosovo and Pristina (I'm too curious to see Kosovo even if I need to pay an extra insurrance... ) and after, back to home probably by travelling via Calafat and then Iron gates...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 03:29 PM   #34379
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Is it possible that the "View first unread" function isn´t working right? That it´s fixed on your last visit in any thread not on the particular one?
Old September 3rd, 2016, 09:26 PM   #34380
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Greetings from Sardinia.

On my way from Brescia to Malpensa airport, yesterday, one of my tires broke so I pulled over on an emergency bay and changed it. Unfortunately I left my emergency blinkers and headlights on, so when I tried to start the engine, nothing happened: the battery was drained
I had to use the sos phones and get assistance...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways