daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2016, 08:15 PM   #34421
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

A small question for those who knows : which Balkan country has the cheapest diesel prices? (Between Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and Kosovo)

Last edited by winnipeg; September 7th, 2016 at 08:27 PM.
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2016, 08:48 PM   #34422
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I took a 6134 kilometer vacation / road trip over the past 12 days. The main destination was the Spanish side of the Pyreneees. I've been to Catalunya, Aragón, Navarra and Basque Country.

The map is rough, I've driven much more roads in the Pyrenees (otherwise I wouldn't have driven 6000+ kms) and I've also been to Zaragoza and Vitoria.
Wow, how many km have you driven so far over the year? 20,000?

Did you drive the Etzegarate pass (N-I)? And, if so, north- or southbound? Also, how did you like L'Occitane (A20)? I've heard it's quite scenic in some parts.
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 08:58 PM   #34423
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

I bought this car in January, I've driven 18,000 kms with it, of which 14,000 km was driven outside the Netherlands

The fuel mileage is quite good, I usually get 19 to 20 km per liter (around 5 L/100 km). Mountain driving actually gets me the best mileage, despite consuming 10-12L/100 km on long inclines, it's of course 0L/100 km going down (only idling and A/C, the car indicates 0L/100 km for that).

I did drive the Etzegarate / Extegarate Pass, it's quite nice.

In Spain I drove the following motorways;

* AP-7 La Jonquera - Girona
* A-2 near Girona (short stretch)
* C-25 the entire route from Girona to Cervera (scenic!)
* A-2 from Cevera to Lleida
* A-14 near Lleida
* AP-2 Lleida - Zaragoza
* Z-40 around Zaragoza
* A-23 Zaragoza - Monrepos Pass
* A-22 Huesca - Lleida
* C-13 in Lleida
* A-23 Sabiñánigo - Jaca
* A-21 Asso-Veral - Pamplona
* PA-30 around Pamplona
* A-15 / AP-15 Pamplona - San Sebastian
* A-10 Irurtzun - Altsasu
* A-1 Vitoria - Altsasu
* A-1/N-1 Altsasu - San Sebastián
* GI-20 through San Sebastián
* GI-632 Beasain - Antzuola
* N-636 Elorrio - Durango

And a large number of roads in the Pyrenees, including 3 mountain passes on the French border (Pierre St. Matin, Portalet, Larrau) and Port de la Bonaigua, the highest one I've driven.

Regarding A20 in France, it's scenic mostly from La Souterraine to Montauban, with the most scenic area being around Cahors (i.e. the Dordogne area). It's no match for A75, however.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Highway89 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 09:23 PM   #34424
Highway89

Quote:
Oh, so you drove the newest carriageway, you didn't get the chance to enjoy the hairpins
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9549.../data=!3m1!1e3

Anyway, you drove some pretty scenic routes I agree that the C-25 through the Guilleries mountains is amazing. Did you drive the short stretch of the A-14 on purpose? From what I've heard, it actually takes more time than the old N-230.

Larrau is one of my favourite mountain passes. It has a very high-mountain feeling and it even features a corkscrew on the Spanish side: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9636.../data=!3m1!1e3
Old September 7th, 2016, 09:23 PM   #34425
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

Zaragoza-Pamplona through the route you picked is quite a fun drive. It can very extremely windy at some points.
Old September 7th, 2016, 09:59 PM   #34426
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Of course matematically it's closer to 1/3: (41-~33.33=~7.67)<(50-41=9)
There are quite few "of course" things in the world.

In the arithmetic sequence y(x+1) = y(x)+1/6; y(0) = 1/3, 0.41 is closer to 1/3 because y(0.5) = 5/12 = 0.41667 > 0.41

In the geometric sequence y(x+1) = y(x)*3/2; y(0) = 1/3, 0.41 is closer to 1/2 because y(0.5) = sqrt(1/6) = 0.4082 < 0.41

In the harmonic sequence y(x) = 1/(3-x); y(0) = 1/3; 0.41 is closer to 1/2 because y(0.5) = 1/((2+3)/2) = 0.40 < 0.41

In the octal notation (base 8), 0.41 = 4/8+1/64 = 33/64 > 1/2, thus closer to 1/2.

Etc

Last edited by MattiG; September 7th, 2016 at 10:16 PM.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 10:06 PM   #34427
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
Larrau is one of my favourite mountain passes. It has a very high-mountain feeling and it even features a corkscrew on the Spanish side: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9636.../data=!3m1!1e3
That's the Pierre St Martin Pass (I don't know if it has a name in Spanish, it is not posted there). Larrau is one pass to the west, which is also quite nice, I took a hike there.

Some of the landscape in the area looks very similar to the Sierra Nevada in California, especially the exposed rocks with pine trees around Pierre St Martin Pass and Garganta del Escalar. Then again some of those 'congosts' in western Catalunya look similar to Arizona or Utah.
Old September 7th, 2016, 10:55 PM   #34428
bogdymol
bogdymod

I am now on a cruise ship between Sweden and Finland. This ship makes a quick stop on Aaland islands for the sole purpose of beeing allowed to sell tax free items. There's a big shop here and the locals buy dozens of alcohol bottles and cigarettes.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

winnipeg, cinxxx, Attus liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 11:01 PM   #34429
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
That's the Pierre St Martin Pass (I don't know if it has a name in Spanish, it is not posted there). Larrau is one pass to the west, which is also quite nice, I took a hike there.

Some of the landscape in the area looks very similar to the Sierra Nevada in California, especially the exposed rocks with pine trees around Pierre St Martin Pass and Garganta del Escalar. Then again some of those 'congosts' in western Catalunya look similar to Arizona or Utah.
In Spanish it's Piedra de San Martín. Also, have you driven the Ventamillo gorge? That is both scenic and damn challenging.
Quote:
I bought this car in January, I've driven 18,000 kms with it, of which 14,000 km was driven outside the Netherlands

The fuel mileage is quite good, I usually get 19 to 20 km per liter (around 5 L/100 km). Mountain driving actually gets me the best mileage, despite consuming 10-12L/100 km on long inclines, it's of course 0L/100 km going down (only idling and A/C, the car indicates 0L/100 km for that).

In Spain I drove the following motorways;

* AP-7 La Jonquera - Girona
* A-2 near Girona (short stretch)
* C-25 the entire route from Girona to Cervera (scenic!)
* A-2 from Cevera to Lleida
* A-14 near Lleida
* AP-2 Lleida - Zaragoza
* Z-40 around Zaragoza
* A-23 Zaragoza - Monrepos Pass
* A-22 Huesca - Lleida
* C-13 in Lleida
* A-23 Sabiñánigo - Jaca
* A-21 Asso-Veral - Pamplona
* PA-30 around Pamplona
* A-15 / AP-15 Pamplona - San Sebastian
* A-10 Irurtzun - Altsasu
* A-1 Vitoria - Altsasu
* GI-20 through San Sebastián
* GI-632 Beasain - Antzuola
* N-636 Elorrio - Durango

And a large number of roads in the Pyrenees, including 3 mountain passes on the French border (Pierre St. Matin, Portalet, Larrau) and Port de la Bonaigua, the highest one I've driven.

Regarding A20 in France, it's scenic mostly from La Souterraine to Montauban, with the most scenic area being around Cahors (i.e. the Dordogne area). It's no match for A75, however.
There are two sections you cannot have done: A-23 Isuela gorge-Arguis (U/C, and also Nueno-Isuela gorge as due to a rockslide all traffic has to use Southbound lanes) and A-21 Tiermas-Sigües (not even yet U/C). Also, you haven't driven A-23 near Sabiñanigo (The section bypassing part of it from South to East, not the one to Jaca)? It's not on your list.

I realized we both clinched the latest section of A-21 (Sigües to A-1601) on the same day.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 11:31 PM   #34430
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
In the harmonic sequence y(x) = 1/(3-x); y(0) = 1/3; 0.41 is closer to 1/2 because y(0.5) = 1/((2+3)/2) = 0.40 < 0.41
Ignoring the official formula, we can see that 100% ÷ 41% = 2.4, which is closer to 2 than to 3. Also, 1 ÷ 2.5 = 0.4 = 40%.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 01:46 AM   #34431
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
Wow, how many km have you driven so far over the year? 20,000?
Crazy Europeans and their small countries

I made maybe 40 000 km in past 12 months

I am just driving to work and home mostly, not even a good vacation
Old September 8th, 2016, 01:49 AM   #34432
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Small country has nothing to do with that, my neighbour drives over 70k per year...

Chris also cycles to work, so that makes the amount of kms travelled/year a lot smaller. You just live (relatively) far away from where you work...
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 07:31 AM   #34433
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I am now on a cruise ship between Sweden and Finland. This ship makes a quick stop on Aaland islands for the sole purpose of beeing allowed to sell tax free items. There's a big shop here and the locals buy dozens of alcohol bottles and cigarettes.
This is not the most balanced view to what happens there.

In fact, they are not cruise ships but big car and passenger ferries equipped with a large restaurant and shopping area. They carry a big fraction of the import/export to and from Finland, as well as of the passenger traffic. As the map shows, Finland is virtually an island.

I shall take a ferry today evening to make a business trip to Stockholm. First a dinner in the fish restaurant then a good sleep before the ferry arrives in Stockholm in the early morning. (Sweden is one hour behind Finland every day. That makes 365 hours a year.)

Calling on Åland Island is not only for making it possible to buy cheaper booze. The ferries are vital to those 30000 people living on the island and their businesses as well as tourists. Of course, the night time departures from Långnäs are not very popular.

There are four daily departures on the Helsinki-Stockholm route and eight ones on the Turku-Stockholm route. Thus, the daily capacity of the routes is about 30000 passengers and 12 lane kilometers of vehicles.

Last edited by MattiG; September 8th, 2016 at 09:38 AM.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 09:07 AM   #34434
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Small country has nothing to do with that, my neighbour drives over 70k per year...

Chris also cycles to work, so that makes the amount of kms travelled/year a lot smaller. You just live (relatively) far away from where you work...
I think 12,000 km/year is about the average for a car. But many households have a second car that is used only for shopping and short trips, so 20,000 - 30,000 kilometers per year is quite common for people who commute to work by car. And many drive much more than that.

But the Dutch generally take few long trips per year. For most people, driving more than 2 hours in one direction is limited to vacation trips 2 or 3 times per year.

I don't drive that much within the Netherlands, as I live close to work, it's less than 10 minutes on the bicycle. So most of my car trips are social / recreational in nature, not counting the 4 km trips to the supermarkt every week.

And I drive much less during the winter. And this is the first time I took two 6,000+ kilometer trips in a year. Most of my colleagues think I'm crazy driving that much. But what am I supposed to do on vacation, sit in a chair all day on a campsite? I'm bored within 2 hours. So I take a several hour trip every day, to go sightseeing or hiking, or both.
Old September 8th, 2016, 09:32 AM   #34435
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
A small question for those who knows : which Balkan country has the cheapest diesel prices? (Between Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and Kosovo)
If you are ready to take a detour, Macedonia then

winnipeg liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 10:31 AM   #34436
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
If you are ready to take a detour, Macedonia then
Okay, thanks, this is coherent with what on saw on some website who claim to compare the price of oil between countries (but which I didn't believed)...

Also, no, no detour through Macedonia, because for me Macedonia is a place easily reachable for me by the Serbian highway, so I would certainly go to Skopje for a full week-end, someday...
Old September 8th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #34437
Highway89

Quote:

Oh, right, I was referring to Pierre St Martin, I mistook them

The southern side of the Pyrinees can indeed be quite different from the northern side. It is much drier and the landscapes look more 'chaotic'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post

Wow. IIRC, the year I drove the most I made even less than 10,000 km But then again, I don't use the car for long trips on holidays, and Spanish cities are quite dense, which makes cars less convenient as a means of transport.
Old September 8th, 2016, 10:51 PM   #34438
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Accidents in Slovak tunnels:

TopWatch liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 02:07 AM   #34439
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Accidents in Slovak tunnels:

Burned, already posted 2 weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Just saw this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns30XeulhHo a compilation of crashes inside Slovak tunnels made by the national motorway company.... with a special music

Blackraven liked this post
Old September 9th, 2016, 09:56 AM   #34440
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Greetings from Sardinia.

On my way from Brescia to Malpensa airport, yesterday, one of my tires broke so I pulled over on an emergency bay and changed it. Unfortunately I left my emergency blinkers and headlights on, so when I tried to start the engine, nothing happened: the battery was drained
I had to use the sos phones and get assistance...
Bad luck continues... 4 days ago I went for a swim in Sardinian sea and I forgot I had the cell phone in my pocket... I tried to revive it, no luck, I had to buy a new one.
2 days ago, I was driving to Cala Gonone, and we had to stop mid-road to let a huge bus pass on a tight curve. The lady in the car in front of me panicked and engaged the reverse without looking and bumped me in my rental car.
In the end she offered to pay for repairs and now the car is good as new, but let me tell you, this is a stressful vacation...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways