daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2016, 05:47 PM   #34441
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
2 days ago, I was driving to Cala Gonone, and we had to stop mid-road to let a huge bus pass on a tight curve. The lady in the car in front of me panicked and engaged the reverse without looking and bumped me in my rental car.
In the end she offered to pay for repairs and now the car is good as new, but let me tell you, this is a stressful vacation...
oh crap! i am so stressed while driving rental car not to have accident. if not a problem, can you explain the procedure what happens in that case?

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2016, 06:56 PM   #34442
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I almost hit a kangaroo in Australia. That would've been a nightmare.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 07:14 PM   #34443
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
oh crap! i am so stressed while driving rental car not to have accident. if not a problem, can you explain the procedure what happens in that case?
No idea. I guess I would have to fill out a form, signed by me and the other party, stating that it was the other party's fault and the rental company would have to ask them for compensation and not me.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 07:56 PM   #34444
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

afaik you always have to call the rental company before just signing something and going on your way. Also you may be required to have proof from the police.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #34445
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Bad luck continues... 4 days ago I went for a swim in Sardinian sea and I forgot I had the cell phone in my pocket... I tried to revive it, no luck, I had to buy a new one.
2 days ago, I was driving to Cala Gonone, and we had to stop mid-road to let a huge bus pass on a tight curve. The lady in the car in front of me panicked and engaged the reverse without looking and bumped me in my rental car.
In the end she offered to pay for repairs and now the car is good as new, but let me tell you, this is a stressful vacation...
So bad for you!

For a rental car, I personaly wouldn't try to fix it myself, I would have done an incident report to the car rental company by also taking the data of the other car insurance...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 08:37 PM   #34446
winnipeg

Quote:
No idea. I guess I would have to fill out a form, signed by me and the other party, stating that it was the other party's fault and the rental company would have to ask them for compensation and not me.
In France we have those incident reports : https://www.smeno.com/fileadmin/user...iable_auto.pdf

And visibly it's also for the rest of Europe as it's named "European Incident Statement"
Old September 9th, 2016, 09:41 PM   #34447
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
In France we have those incident reports : https://www.smeno.com/fileadmin/user...iable_auto.pdf

And visibly it's also for the rest of Europe as it's named "European Incident Statement"
that exists in each EU country (maybe even European). but this is only for minor accidents. however, i really don't know how to act with rental car anyway. i think that i would call rental agency first to check what documents they accept.
Old September 9th, 2016, 10:09 PM   #34448
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:

We have the same, usually the first three pages are in Slovak, the fourth is in English, the fifth in German and the sixth in French. Papers are copyable so if you write to first page it also fills in the others.

I think it is not only for minor accidents but for all if drivers can agree on who is the guilty one.

winnipeg liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 10:45 PM   #34449
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

I wonder how much does this cost

piotr71 liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 12:30 AM   #34450
volodaaaa

This sign is used to prevent vehicles carrying water pollutants from crossing a bridge.

For a long time I have had a stupid question: where could vehicles carrying water pollutants cross a river then?

Old September 10th, 2016, 12:43 AM   #34451
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

This sign is something used on some bridges that have no drains to collect rain, and thus any accidental spill of liquid.
The section of A27 in Italy between Vittorio Veneto nord and Belluno is closed to trucks carrying dangerous goods also for this reason (the other reason are long tunnels). Trucks carrying dangerous goods have to use the SS51, that has no tunnels and viaducts.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 01:18 AM   #34452
volodaaaa

Btw. some insights from my journey:

Ices77, Sentilj liked this post
Old September 10th, 2016, 08:49 AM   #34453
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
So bad for you!

For a rental car, I personaly wouldn't try to fix it myself, I would have done an incident report to the car rental company by also taking the data of the other car insurance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
afaik you always have to call the rental company before just signing something and going on your way. Also you may be required to have proof from the police.
I agree, but the damage was really small (a scratch and a little dent) so I preferred to avoid calling the company. The girl paid for reparation and now nothing shows on the front of the car. Besides, the girl wouldn't want to sign the form, so I would have to call the police...
Old September 10th, 2016, 11:17 AM   #34454
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

I always try to get full insurance for my rentals. If any scratches or small dents, I don't have to worry.
I only become member of the German Automobile Club, because you can rent cars from their website, they have partnerships with all 4 major rental companies.
(You don't have to be a member actually, just live in Germany, but they have some special offers which apply only to members).
When you rent, it's always full coverage without deductible and one extra driver included.
And it's not more expensive, you kind of actually get the same price you would have gotten directly from the rental company, but with deductible and no extra driver.

When I rented in Trapani the girl at the counter even told me "so if you scratch the car or stuff like that, you can tell us or if you don't want to, that's also fine, you have full coverage anyway"

BTW, Austrians get the absolute same prices if the rent from ÖAMTC, looks like the two clubs from Germany and Austria have the same deals...
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #34455
volodaaaa

Never give up if your insurance company does not want to prepaid you all the repairs you have to carry out after an accident. This has happened to me:

My car was involved in an accident (it was parked). I was not the guilty one. The car was drivable, but as my bumper was hanging on one side, it required an instant repair, so I drive to my repair service. We also filled in all necessary documents and reports.

We have two types of insurance in Slovakia:
Mandatory one (for damaged parties of accident),
"Additional/Accident" one (for the guilty one) - but you have to pay so called participation fee which is 5 % of the calculated damage but not less than 165 €.

I went to a repair garage and the inspector asked me about the insurance company of the guilty driver. As he was not contracted to do a check-up for her company, but was contracted to do it for mine, I opted for possibility to resolve the insurance event by my additional insurance with agreement that I will pay the participation fee that will be later reimbursed by insurance company of the guilty one.

Following things has happened:
- The overall damage was 1500 € and therefore the participation fee was 165 € (because 5 % would be only 75 €). My insurance company paid for the repair and I paid the participation fee.

- The insurance company of the guilty lady paid 1335 € to my insurance company but it refused to pay me the 165 € as my car supposedly "gained additional value (because it got new bumper)".

I don't need 165 € but the principle has got me pissed off. So I wrote the insurance company a very sharp letter and sent the copy to PR department. I stated that I had some additional expenses caused by the accident (calling rates, fuel I consumed by driving to a repair garage, etc.) and I told them I will submit the case to a court if they do not send me the money to my bank account within 30 day after receiving my letter.

On 8th day after submitting the letter, I received the money.

Attus liked this post
Old September 10th, 2016, 08:53 PM   #34456
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I have to see if Italian automobile club has similar deals. In case, I will consider becoming a member
Old September 10th, 2016, 10:07 PM   #34457
winnipeg

Quote:
I also planed to do a "Balkan tour" during september, a tour that I planed for 2015 but I didn't had time to make it... so I will make it this month (before that I leave Romania in mid-2017, because when I will be back in France, it will be obviously much far from Balkans than I am now.... ).

I planned to see essentialy Sarajevo, Mostar, Dubrovnik, Budva and Montenegro then Bar and after probably Albania then Macedonia and Skopje, then certainly Kosovo and Pristina (I'm too curious to see Kosovo even if I need to pay an extra insurrance... ) and after, back to home probably by travelling via Calafat and then Iron gates...
So, so far my Balkan trip of 1 week is a huge fail, I planned (took me days), booked everything, I started to drive through Serbia to Sarajevo this morning at 6:00... but unfortunatly at Novi Sad the motor of my car (a 2010 Peugeot 207 1.6 HDI) started to make a metallic noise when I was accelerating... So after checking myself and seing nothing (I have bad mechanical skills ) and only hearing the metallic noise also at stop, I decided to go to the Peugeot garage of Novi Sad where they saw that the turbo was broken but they told me that it could take them 6 days to repair it...

After that I decided to go back to Arad because I don't speak a single word of serbian and even if they do their best to speak english, it's only way harder for everyone than if I was in Romania (and even if Novi Sad is a great city I wouldn't stay for one week in there waiting for the repair of my car..). They told me that it could be okay if I go slow on the road...

So I went back to Arad using the smaller Serbian roads via Zrenjanin (they have an great little shopping mall) and Kikinda and then the border crossing of Nakovo (the chillest border crossing I ever seen, they took 10 minutes for 2 cars and the female border cop looked so young and inexperienced by it was the most smiling border cop I ever seen )... anyway, the road was okay and I tried to do my best to go slow... And I finaly made it to Arad.

Now I have to wait monday to go to the local garage.... and f*ck, I should be visiting Sarajevo by now and in Dubrovnik tomorrow... so bad !!

In exchange I will only have a 600-1000€ bill to repair the broken turbo...

Here is how the turbine inside the turbo looks like :

Verso, Alex_ZR liked this post
Old September 10th, 2016, 10:14 PM   #34458
volodaaaa

And the photo of the border cop is where?

MichiH, winnipeg, Kanadzie, hofburg liked this post
Old September 10th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #34459
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
And the photo of the border cop is where?
Old September 10th, 2016, 10:30 PM   #34460
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
So, so far my Balkan trip of 1 week is a huge fail ...
Is it ok to like that post?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways