daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #34461
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Is it ok to like that post?
Yes, you can It won't change the curent condition of my car...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2016, 09:41 AM   #34462
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
So, so far my Balkan trip of 1 week is a huge fail
Ok yes, your bad luck is way worse than mine...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 12:54 PM   #34463
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Talking about bad luck while travelling...

Last July I went to Budapest. Once there, we realized that one a person that went in my car with me had forgotten his ID at home. We were worried that we could face troubles if we would have been stopped on our way back (it wasn't an issue at the hotel, since they asked only for a single ID for us, neither to visit the Parliament, as they accepted his driving license as document).
So, we went to the police station in the streets of embassies to report the 'loss of the document'. There was a long line of foreign tourists that had the same problem and it became more complicate due to the police officer's poor English skills (initially he gave us a form to report a crime, instead the one to report the loss of a document, since we didn't claim any theft, just 'he forgot it somewhere'). Then, we had to go to the railway station to take a photo of him at the automatic machine. Finally, we went to the Italian embassy with the report and the photo to get a temporary document that allowed him to drive back to Italy across Slovenia within three days. It wasn't an issue, since we already planned to leave the following day, but it would have been a serious issue if we were planning a longer trip across Europe. However, the whole process took us around three hours.
Once at home, he mailed the Italian embassy that he found his ID under the car seat, probably felt while paying the motorway toll in Italy. They called the police station to withdraw the lost document report.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 01:03 PM   #34464
winnipeg

If you only stayed inside Schengen area, was it really a big issue?
Old September 11th, 2016, 01:05 PM   #34465
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
If you only stayed inside Schengen area, was it really a big issue?
If we were stopped on an occasional control, yes, it would have been a problem. Carrying an ID is mandatory within the Schengen Area.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 01:13 PM   #34466
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
If we were stopped on an occasional control, yes, it would have been a problem. Carrying an ID is mandatory within the Schengen Area.
Okay. For example it's not the case in France, if during a control (which happens almost never) you don't have your ID, you can also show for example your driving licence, your card of national health insurrance, etc...
Old September 11th, 2016, 01:22 PM   #34467
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Good to know, we made several trips within greece and my gf was lazy to carry a purse with her documents including id �� on the other hands i cant imagine greksa doing troubles.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 01:23 PM   #34468
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Okay. For example it's not the case in France, if during a control (which happens almost never) you don't have your ID, you can also show for example your driving licence, your card of national health insurrance, etc...
But does that apply for foreigners too?
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 01:45 PM   #34469
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
But does that apply for foreigners too?
Good question, maybe not : https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/F31208

But anyway, in 20 years of living in France, I never got any of my documents checked... I think that our police doesn't work that way (unlike for example Hungarian police who seems to do a lot of controls -I already got controlled maybe 5 or 6 times- and most of the time they go on the road in front of me from a high distance, certainly without seeing the foreign plate...).

In France you will have your ID checked only if you are suspicious for them or made something wrong or if you are unluckily on the middle of a large scale control, when they are looking for a fugitive for example...
Old September 11th, 2016, 02:57 PM   #34470
bogdymol
bogdymod

I once was driving with a friend from nearby Wels, Austria, to Arad, Romania. After we entered Hungary from Austria (so 3-4 hours from start) we stopped at a gas station and I wanted to go and buy something. While inside, I realized that I forgot my wallet with ID card, money, everything, in Austria. I had nothing, absolutely nothing with me. And while entering Romania from Hungary there are border checks, I needed my ID card.

We then drove back to Austria (3-4 hours), got my wallet, took a shower, and drove back to Romania. In total we drove almost 1300 km instead of 750 just because of my forgotten wallet.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 03:00 PM   #34471
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Now I can say I've driven an entire road outside Spain: RN 1134. However I don't remember if it's the French part of the Somport tunnel or the French side of the Somport pass, as both are signed as RN 134. Since Chris didn't drive up that pass, he missed N-330b on the Spanish side (Fully signed as such!).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 03:09 PM   #34472
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I'm still waiting form my peronal IDs to arrive with the post form Italy. We forgot them in the camping reception in Sorrento but we found out that only after arriving home. I called them and they confirmed that they found them. I gave them address and since them I'm still waiting their post to arrive. A postcard from Sicily also didn't arrive yet - after 6 weeks. Is this normal for Italian post?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 03:18 PM   #34473
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

Maybe it was sent to Slovakia.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol, Sentilj, Kanadzie, x-type liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 03:28 PM   #34474
bogdymol
bogdymod

I have sent post cards from Hong Kong to Austria and to Romania and they arrived at both destinations in a little bit more than one week.
Old September 11th, 2016, 05:15 PM   #34475
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Isn't a driving license a legal ID document?
Old September 11th, 2016, 05:18 PM   #34476
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
I'm still waiting form my peronal IDs to arrive with the post form Italy. We forgot them in the camping reception in Sorrento but we found out that only after arriving home. I called them and they confirmed that they found them. I gave them address and since them I'm still waiting their post to arrive. A postcard from Sicily also didn't arrive yet - after 6 weeks. Is this normal for Italian post?
Italian Post has a bad reputation, but I worked for them for a little while and I have to say it's a little exaggerated. However, 6 weeks is too much for a mail.
Old September 11th, 2016, 05:24 PM   #34477
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It probably depends on the situation. In the Netherlands there are two types of identification of a person, one called legitimatie and another called identificatie. It is specifically known that a driver's license is not always sufficient in the Netherlands for some ID purposes.

In the Netherlands, you cannot use a driver's license as an ID in several cases, such as at the IRS, applying for unemployment benefits or welfare, during hiring procedures or when you want to enroll in any type of education.
Old September 11th, 2016, 05:57 PM   #34478
bogdymol
bogdymod

Shouldn't there be an EU-wide document to act as both ID card and drivers licence? Most of the data written on them is identical anyway.
Old September 11th, 2016, 06:09 PM   #34479
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The key information missing on a driver's license is citizenship status and nationality.
Old September 11th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #34480
bogdymol
bogdymod

And why is it so hard to write it on the new document? Even if one works in another country and gets his drivers licence there, on the basis of his passport his adoptive country can write on this new document his country of origin.

Tags
highways, motorways