daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 21st, 2016, 01:12 PM   #34541
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,507
Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Tomorrow I drive to Italy for a birthday
.
Where to, if you don't mind my asking?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2016, 01:31 PM   #34542
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,615
Likes (Received): 19410

Lake Garda region. It's approximately an 1,100 kilometer drive. We chose to drive via France and Switzerland to avoid the construction mess in Germany, the toll bill on the return trip is only slightly higher than via Austria.

I don't like driving through Germany as much as I used to. There is so much construction, accidents and traffic congestion. On top of the long-term construction sites, there are also many Tagesbaustellen (short-term construction zones) that cause a lot of congestion. The German Autobahn is way too busy to close lanes during the day for small repairs / maintenance. They should do that during the night, during the day it results almost guaranteed in unnecessary traffic congestion.

On another forum someone reported A96 from München tot Memmingen has 11 construction zones on a 100 km stretch of Autobahn yesterday... Including 4 long-term construction zones and no less than 7 Tagesbaustellen.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 03:00 PM   #34543
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
is the plane polluting the air more than 100 passenger cars at same distance?
Plane pollutes more than staying home.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 05:39 PM   #34544
x-type
con los terroristas
 
x-type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bjelovar [HR]
Posts: 13,472
Likes (Received): 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Lake Garda region. It's approximately an 1,100 kilometer drive. We chose to drive via France and Switzerland to avoid the construction mess in Germany, the toll bill on the return trip is only slightly higher than via Austria.

I don't like driving through Germany as much as I used to. There is so much construction, accidents and traffic congestion. On top of the long-term construction sites, there are also many Tagesbaustellen (short-term construction zones) that cause a lot of congestion. The German Autobahn is way too busy to close lanes during the day for small repairs / maintenance. They should do that during the night, during the day it results almost guaranteed in unnecessary traffic congestion.

On another forum someone reported A96 from München tot Memmingen has 11 construction zones on a 100 km stretch of Autobahn yesterday... Including 4 long-term construction zones and no less than 7 Tagesbaustellen.
hm, i must say that I travel quite a lot in Italy, andi don't remember when i saw some short-term construction site there, only those widening to 2x3.
especially it is amazing when i consider my recent 2 trips to Milano (so almost whole A4) and there was 0 construcion sites. there was one just after Milano west toll station, and something near Novara. in Germany such motorway section would have in average 4-5 construction sites.

oh, there was one more thing - that etarnal construction site near Vicenza. what is happening there? it is present for years already.
__________________
Svaki dan sanjam autobahn...
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 06:06 PM   #34545
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,507
Likes (Received): 2114

The construction site in Novara is there for almost 15 years...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 07:09 PM   #34546
x-type
con los terroristas
 
x-type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bjelovar [HR]
Posts: 13,472
Likes (Received): 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
The construction site in Novara is there for almost 15 years...
no, i don't think MI-TO, it's finished there, but there was minor closure anyway for some reason.
__________________
Svaki dan sanjam autobahn...
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 07:11 PM   #34547
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
oh, there was one more thing - that etarnal construction site near Vicenza. what is happening there? it is present for years already.
It's since 2011. There's an issue with some toxic industrial waste used as filling material when the 3rd lane was built. Aparently that was normal practice back then (1989-90), but of course now it isn't allowed anymore. So, they demolished the rightmost lane and deviated the traffic through 3 narrow lanes without shoulders.
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 07:32 PM   #34548
x-type
con los terroristas
 
x-type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bjelovar [HR]
Posts: 13,472
Likes (Received): 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It's since 2011. There's an issue with some toxic industrial waste used as filling material when the 3rd lane was built. Aparently that was normal practice back then (1989-90), but of course now it isn't allowed anymore. So, they demolished the rightmost lane and deviated the traffic through 3 narrow lanes without shoulders.
it was only on that short part on whole A4?
__________________
Svaki dan sanjam autobahn...
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 08:51 PM   #34549
volodaaaa
Registered User
 
volodaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Posts: 3,241
Likes (Received): 1755

Seeing a group of confused people in a front of a pair of escalators running in opposite direction made me investigate human behaviour a little and I realized that pedestrians (wherever they are) tend to keep the right side of pavement, corridor, etc. The oncoming people are always on our left hand.

It has made me ask a question: Is that because of traffic direction? Do walking people in Britain take the left side?
__________________
Been/drove my car in: SK, CZ, D, A, H, PL, I, F, E, RSM, CH, FL, SLO, HR, SRB, BiH, MK, GR, BG, RO

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 08:54 PM   #34550
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

I also mostly walk on the right.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 08:58 PM   #34551
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,615
Likes (Received): 19410

Me too. Even on a sidewalk that is on the left side of the road. I work in a business district and at lunchtime many people take a 30 minute walk, most people do walk on the right side.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 09:01 PM   #34552
volodaaaa
Registered User
 
volodaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Posts: 3,241
Likes (Received): 1755

Sometimes... I enforce the priority to the right in our Tesco local store. Especially if I am pushing a cart.
__________________
Been/drove my car in: SK, CZ, D, A, H, PL, I, F, E, RSM, CH, FL, SLO, HR, SRB, BiH, MK, GR, BG, RO

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 09:51 PM   #34553
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
it was only on that short part on whole A4?
I don't know, maybe they found it there.
I think there was the same issue on A4 somewhere around Brescia, not to mention A31 Vicenza-Rovigo (maybe the entire 50km lenght, and this one is recent, so it was a big scandal).
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 12:53 AM   #34554
winnipeg
Registered User
 
winnipeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Arad
Posts: 664
Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Seeing a group of confused people in a front of a pair of escalators running in opposite direction made me investigate human behaviour a little and I realized that pedestrians (wherever they are) tend to keep the right side of pavement, corridor, etc. The oncoming people are always on our left hand.

It has made me ask a question: Is that because of traffic direction? Do walking people in Britain take the left side?
In Tokyo, people are staying at the left of escalators !

And I assume that this comes mostly from what children learn from their parents like "always stay at the right" on most other situations like on the road...

Also it's a think that (in my opinion) show pretty well the level of civism and education of the people in a city... for example in Tokyo I remember that everyone or so was respecting this easy everyday life rule.... it's not the case in every countries so far...

Last edited by winnipeg; September 22nd, 2016 at 01:19 AM.
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 02:37 PM   #34555
Fatfield
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 488
Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Seeing a group of confused people in a front of a pair of escalators running in opposite direction made me investigate human behaviour a little and I realized that pedestrians (wherever they are) tend to keep the right side of pavement, corridor, etc. The oncoming people are always on our left hand.

It has made me ask a question: Is that because of traffic direction? Do walking people in Britain take the left side?
No we don't, we walk on the right. Although I'll always move to the left. Just to be awkward. ;-)

I was in Monaco once and was walking up the bank to the tunnel underneath the Fairmont Hotel. Coming the other way were a couple of Italian couples. I moved to the left and as I passed the first couple the lad muttered 'bloody British!'. It seems that some people think that because we drive on the correct side of the road, we automatically walk on the left.

Another piece of pedestrian etiquette in the UK is that if the path isn't wide enough to accommodate two or more people passing each other, the person facing towards the oncoming traffic 'gives way' and steps onto the road. Providing there's no traffic of course. Does this happen elsewhere?
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 02:48 PM   #34556
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

^ Yes, it makes sense.

Interesting, it's been sunny for the whole week, but only 22°C max.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 02:58 PM   #34557
volodaaaa
Registered User
 
volodaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Posts: 3,241
Likes (Received): 1755

This is exactly the weather when you are most prone to get ill.
__________________
Been/drove my car in: SK, CZ, D, A, H, PL, I, F, E, RSM, CH, FL, SLO, HR, SRB, BiH, MK, GR, BG, RO

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 03:30 PM   #34558
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,507
Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
No we don't, we walk on the right. Although I'll always move to the left. Just to be awkward. ;-)

I was in Monaco once and was walking up the bank to the tunnel underneath the Fairmont Hotel. Coming the other way were a couple of Italian couples. I moved to the left and as I passed the first couple the lad muttered 'bloody British!'. It seems that some people think that because we drive on the correct side of the road, we automatically walk on the left.

Another piece of pedestrian etiquette in the UK is that if the path isn't wide enough to accommodate two or more people passing each other, the person facing towards the oncoming traffic 'gives way' and steps onto the road. Providing there's no traffic of course. Does this happen elsewhere?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 03:31 PM   #34559
volodaaaa
Registered User
 
volodaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Posts: 3,241
Likes (Received): 1755

He is right.
__________________
Been/drove my car in: SK, CZ, D, A, H, PL, I, F, E, RSM, CH, FL, SLO, HR, SRB, BiH, MK, GR, BG, RO

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 03:56 PM   #34560
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,507
Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
He is right.
No, he is left.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
highways, motorways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium