daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #34621
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Yes, this option:

Long routes with Google Maps are particularly unreliable. For example Monday I was driving from Italy to the Netherlands. It took us exactly 13 hours and we only briefly stopped for fuel three times.

According to Google Maps, the route we took can be driven in 10h50min. Even with a half hour delay in Milan and another half hour for the refueling stops, it still took an hour more than Google Maps says, even when driving 140-160 km/h in Germany where possible. (Google Maps seems to use 126 km/h as an average on the German Autobahn).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #34622
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Placing this on the new page as we pretty much posted at the same second and you might miss it:

I just realized what you meant Chris, I never ever use that grey number because I know it's unrealistic as hell as it tends to be very optimistic. Being honest, after years of ignoring that grey time I have to admit I completely forgot about it
Having said that, the real-time traffic one seems to be very pessimistic as everytime I use it I take shorter than it said I would've, even in busy (non-traffic jam) traffic. Especially in free-flow it's surprisingly pessimistic.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 05:21 PM   #34623
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
From my experience, the best ETA in a navigation app is in Waze, though it depends on how many users are using it in each country. It usually calculates my ETA almost spot on even in rush hour, when the traffic is unpredictable.
Waze is absolute disaster for traffic safety. it requires typing on your cell phone while you're driving because it allows only GPS location, you cannot jump to loaction later to add the point with incidence. i have uninstalled it soon after trying it.
Old September 29th, 2016, 05:53 PM   #34624
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1322

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Waze is absolute disaster for traffic safety. it requires typing on your cell phone while you're driving because it allows only GPS location, you cannot jump to loaction later to add the point with incidence. i have uninstalled it soon after trying it.
How does Waze require more typing than any other navgiation app? You can search by addresses, locations, save favorites and other stuff. It varies by your country though - in Latvia we have a very active community, even Latvian State Road administration and major city road departaments are working with them. For example, if a specific street or road is closed, they send the information to Waze and they instantly update the map, so the app reroutes you instantly too.
It also works very well in rush hours, I've had times when Waze found some unusual routes that save me 20-40 minutes. But this too relies on how many users are using it in your country, I know that driving with Waze in Poland was an absolute nightmare, because the user base is very small compared to Latvia's.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 07:47 PM   #34625
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Traffic bases estimation may have some serious issues. For example last year there was a long time construction site at the intersection Köln Nord (A1×A57) in Germany. A57 to Nijmegen was heavily congested, the end of the queue was 2 km back in A1 (Euskirchen -> Dortmund). Google collected traffic data, realized that there was a congestion and predicted 12 minutes for that section of 2 km.
I however drove straight forward and stayed on A1, directed to Leverkusen. The left lane was free so despite of driving slow and careful I absolved 2 km in 2 minutes and arrived in Leverkusen ten minutes earlier then estimated.
Was the prediction wrong? Not necesserily, actually there WAS a congestion on the motorway.
And I had luck: Google could have suggested leaving the motorway in order to avoid that congestion or taking some alternate route, e.g. bypassing Cologne in the east side (A3).
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #34626
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Was the prediction wrong? Not necesserily, actually there WAS a congestion on the motorway.
That is why they are called predictions. There is always space for human thinking: If the road is right now blocked by an accident 100 kilometers ahead, should I take an alternative route or not. There is no single answer to that question.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2016, 12:14 AM   #34627
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
How does Waze require more typing than any other navgiation app? You can search by addresses, locations, save favorites and other stuff. It varies by your country though - in Latvia we have a very active community, even Latvian State Road administration and major city road departaments are working with them. For example, if a specific street or road is closed, they send the information to Waze and they instantly update the map, so the app reroutes you instantly too.
It also works very well in rush hours, I've had times when Waze found some unusual routes that save me 20-40 minutes. But this too relies on how many users are using it in your country, I know that driving with Waze in Poland was an absolute nightmare, because the user base is very small compared to Latvia's.
because Waze makes you to report all accidents, road closures, police patrols etc while driving.
Old September 30th, 2016, 12:46 AM   #34628
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
From my experience, the best ETA in a navigation app is in Waze, though it depends on how many users are using it in each country. It usually calculates my ETA almost spot on even in rush hour, when the traffic is unpredictable.
How can Waze have the best terrorist group? I can't get it...

Or worse, I only can parse ETA as Euskadi Ta Askatasuna. I have to find a better acronym for Estimated Time of Arrival. There's a reason why I now know the Egyptian goddess of health, wisdom and marriage as Ivette instead of its original name.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2016, 01:25 AM   #34629
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
How can Waze have the best terrorist group? I can't get it...

Or worse, I only can parse ETA as Euskadi Ta Askatasuna. I have to find a better acronym for Estimated Time of Arrival. There's a reason why I now know the Egyptian goddess of health, wisdom and marriage as Ivette instead of its original name.

ChrisZwolle, Highway89, RipleyLV liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2016, 11:08 AM   #34630
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1322

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
because Waze makes you to report all accidents, road closures, police patrols etc while driving.
Oh, now I get it.'You can the tap the report button while driving and it will remember where you were at the time. When you have finished your drive you can finish reporting it. But since you don't have to report congestions, these reports are that necessary, atleast for me. I usually don't use this function.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 03:38 PM   #34631
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

I drove a train today. It was cool

x-type liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 04:54 PM   #34632
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Drove or rode?
Old October 1st, 2016, 05:01 PM   #34633
Verso
Islander

I've heard that some train derailed in Bratislava.

Kanadzie, Attus, volodaaaa liked this post
Old October 1st, 2016, 05:28 PM   #34634
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Suicidal bus driver changing a tire, while laying on the merging lane of a busy motorway in the Netherlands.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Sentilj liked this post
Old October 1st, 2016, 08:30 PM   #34635
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Drove or rode?
I drove but only in depot area.

Old October 1st, 2016, 08:55 PM   #34636
x-type
con los terroristas

i envy you what kind of train that was, which class?

my top achievment till now was ride in locomotion of freight train (and it was on route of some 70 km actually; i don't count short rides on station in locomotion)
Old October 1st, 2016, 09:46 PM   #34637
volodaaaa

it was just small diesel unit. Exactly this type:

I drove at 10 kph because the speed limit in depot was 10 kph. But the throttle lever was very sensitive so I exceeded the limit a little bit.

It was cool, the unit was renewed and the whole speed control was resembling a cruise control. You just set the speed the train was supposed to drive at (the speed control was divisible by 5). I fortunately and accidentally set 15 kph

Old October 1st, 2016, 10:25 PM   #34638
bogdymol
bogdymod

I flew an Antonov AN-2 plane in mid air at approx. 1000 m altitude when I was just 8 years old. Beat that!

(The co-pilot left me in his seat and I had the chance to make a few turns with the plane. Those ones of you who have me on facebook can see a video of that on my fb profile)
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

volodaaaa, winnipeg, cinxxx liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 10:28 PM   #34639
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I flew an Antonov AN-2 plane in mid air at approx. 1000 m altitude when I was just 8 years old. Beat that!

(The co-pilot left me in his seat and I had the chance to make a few turns with the plane. Those ones of you who have me on facebook can see a video of that on my fb profile)

Old October 1st, 2016, 11:00 PM   #34640
Verso
Islander

Little kids flying planes... When you thought you'd seen everything on the Internet...

bogdymol liked this post

Tags
highways, motorways