daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2016, 07:09 PM   #34681
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I also saw a Jeep. Maybe it was the same one...
I doubt, they (middle aged couple) went into Russia end of April and I'm sure they didn't end just in Moscow.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2016, 07:35 PM   #34682
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
I doubt, they (middle aged couple) went into Russia end of April and I'm sure they didn't end just in Moscow.
Sorry, I was wrong. It was in a traffic jam near Nice on 20th April. They drove in front of me and I could see anything. I changed to the left lane and drove next to the car for a while. I think it was a dark (not black) Jeep Patriot?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2016, 08:30 PM   #34683
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I think it was something smaller but I can't remember what was it so I'm not sure. It had quite a lot of sponsor stickers all over. We were on Finnis-Russian border on 28th April. Dates could be correct if they've literally flew over Europe (I wouldn't if I were in their position).
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2016, 08:47 PM   #34684
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
why no other countries succeeded/traid to do the same?
Maybe there's no political interest in the matter.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 01:07 PM   #34685
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

Driver's license conversion is something different. It is about people moving for the long term to the other country and exchanging his or her original license for the one of the new country.
Old October 9th, 2016, 08:31 PM   #34686
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Aliens are landing...

bogdymol, cinxxx, Alex_ZR, Attus liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 09:49 PM   #34687
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
I think it was something smaller but I can't remember what was it so I'm not sure. It had quite a lot of sponsor stickers all over. We were on Finnis-Russian border on 28th April. Dates could be correct if they've literally flew over Europe (I wouldn't if I were in their position).
Ok, it was a different car. Mine had no sponsor stickers

I thought it might be the car of a rich football player('s family) or any rich Brazilian living in Monaco. It had shaded windows.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 05:30 PM   #34688
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

DAB+

What is the status of DAB+ radio implementation in your country? Some countries want to switch off the FM broadcasting in the next 5-8 years or so. Norway even plans to shut down FM radio next year.

In the Netherlands, only 6% of the people have a DAB+ radio in their house and/or car. In the first half of 2016, only 23% of new car sales had DAB+ radio.

It makes you wonder if the FM shutdown isn't rushed too much. Given the fact that the average car in most European countries is between 8 and 12 years old, it will take a long time before DAB+ radio is standard in the average car, especially if you consider that for example in NL, 77% of the new cars are not equipped with DAB+ today.

DAB+ is not to be confused with the older DAB standard. They are not interchangeable. DAB radios cannot receive DAB+ broadcasting.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 05:34 PM   #34689
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

No plans yet for Italy. DAB+ signal covers only 70% of the Italian population. I have no info on radio receivers.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 05:43 PM   #34690
MattiG

Likes (Received): 616

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What is the status of DAB+ radio implementation in your country?
This is easy. Zero market share in Finland, and currently no plans to implement DAB+.

According to Yle's (the state broadcasting company) spokesman in April 2015, it seems that there is no sense to build a separate DAB+ network but use the mobile internet as the carrier. Most radio stations broadcast in the internet right now.

Rebasepoiss liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 06:17 PM   #34691
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Do people in Finland use internet radio in their cars as well? FM radio is the most difficult to phase out in cars due to the longevity of cars and lack of aftermarket radio replacement nowadays.

One critique I've read is that cellular networks don't have sufficient capacity yet for everyone to stream radio broadcasts. Another problem for users is the cost of data usage.
Old October 10th, 2016, 07:56 PM   #34692
MattiG

Likes (Received): 616

Quote:
Do people in Finland use internet radio in their cars as well? FM radio is the most difficult to phase out in cars due to the longevity of cars and lack of aftermarket radio replacement nowadays.
Depends on, of course, the functionality of the car equipment. It took 20 years to phase out the C cassette players.

I do not believe the car radio is the killer here. The listening is more or less a personal choice, and the backseat youngsters hide themselves behind their headphones connected to their smartphones.

I listen to the radio quite seldom in the car. The commercial radio stations are all similar and quite idiotic. They just irritate me. I carry a few USB sticks containing some 10000 tracks of different music. If that is not enough, I listen to internet radios broadcasting my favorite genres. I drive with the traffic announcements on, but a tablet on the dashboard running TomTom delivers a better view on the traffic situation than TA:s broadcasted.

Quote:
One critique I've read is that cellular networks don't have sufficient capacity yet for everyone to stream radio broadcasts. Another problem for users is the cost of data usage.
The 4G/LTE is expanding quickly, because all the licensed operators are obliged to implement 99% (Sonera) or 97% (others) coverage by the end of 2018. The technology is being developed to support broadcasting more efficiently. Unlimited data plans are available at 15-25 eur/month.

I think the worst problem is not related to the broadcasting technology: Many Bluetooth stack implementations are lousy having less error correction features. Having a one-second break in the broadcast stream is seldom a problem. But if you need to restore manually the Bluetooth connection between the phone and the car, that is a show-stopper.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #34693
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Unlimited data plans are available at 15-25 eur/month.
I wish we had that in the Netherlands. My operator KPN offers 1 GB/month for € 20. The most expensive plan you can choose is 10 GB/month for € 40.
Old October 10th, 2016, 08:17 PM   #34694
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What I don't understand about Norway...

According to the Digital Radio Survey for Q4 2015, conducted by TNS Gallup, 60% of Norwegians use digital radio on a daily basis. 26% of Norwegians have DAB in their car, up from 20% in Q4 2014 and 10% in 2013.

So three-quarters of Norwegians do not have DAB+ in their car, yet FM will be switched off next year. You'd think this FM switch-off is rushed way too fast (much like their plan to ban fossil fuels by 2025).
Old October 10th, 2016, 08:18 PM   #34695
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

Quote:
I wish we had that in the Netherlands. My operator KPN offers 1 GB/month for € 20. The most expensive plan you can choose is 10 GB/month for € 40.
Your operator is too expensive. I use T-Mobile NL, I pay € 32/month (no phone included ) for 20 GB/month. They also sell an unlimited data plan, it costs € 95/month or something like that.
Old October 10th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #34696
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Panoramio is closing.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 08:46 PM   #34697
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Panoramio is closing.
yes, i have received that notice at sunday at @ and couldn't believe. that was one of the best Google's projects. they are changing it with some Google shit for which you must have G+, merge it with GOogle account blaa bla... disaster.
Old October 10th, 2016, 09:39 PM   #34698
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18300

Not sure ow many of you use Instagram, but they had a nice feature, you could see your whole map if you tagged the location of your posted pictures. You could easily see where you've been, check out what you posted from some areas, etc. You could do the same for other users aswell. Recently they removed the map because according to them the feature was not used much. They want to focus on Snapchat like features and stuff...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 09:42 PM   #34699
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Tech monopolists tend to shut down services if they're not used by a large proportion of their users...
Old October 10th, 2016, 11:04 PM   #34700
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
So three-quarters of Norwegians do not have DAB+ in their car, yet FM will be switched off next year. You'd think this FM switch-off is rushed way too fast (much like their plan to ban fossil fuels by 2025).
That sounds like when Apple discontinued the jack on Iphone this year. Or when it discontinued the 3.5 inches floppy driver on Mac in 1998, when the only external memories available were non-rewritable CDs.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways