daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2016, 11:07 PM   #34701
italystf

Likes (Received): 2184

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Not sure ow many of you use Instagram, but they had a nice feature, you could see your whole map if you tagged the location of your posted pictures. You could easily see where you've been, check out what you posted from some areas, etc. You could do the same for other users aswell. Recently they removed the map because according to them the feature was not used much. They want to focus on Snapchat like features and stuff...
Istagram, and even more Facebook, have the big disvantage of being 'all purpose' social network, so not very suitable if you want to host a picture to post in a forum, without letting everybody knowing what you have uploaded.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

x-type liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2016, 03:26 AM   #34702
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

With Google Photo, the algoritms recognize where the photos have been taken when there is not GPS information recorded inside the photo infos (EXIFs), they compare with other photos who look the same but have GPS with it, they also look after others informations like if you used your phone in a certain place around the time when the photo was taken, Google will consider that the photo is more likely to be from that location...

The result is that if you have been in a certain city and that you want to look back into all your photos off all time that you have taken inside this city, you just have to search inside Google Photo "Paris" for example and it will show you all the photos taken in Paris even without GPS data on it.... awesome feature!!

And they have also a lot of other algorithms on it like with face recognition and they will show you all the photos with a certain person (this algorithm is also incredible as it recognise a same people even if the conditions of the photo are way different, for exemple it will recognise that I am the same person in a photo where we can see my face and in an other where we only see my profile and in various conditions also...

The same for the scenary (for example it can show you all your photos taken on a beach, of a mountain, etc...) and for animals/objects/others like for example all the photos with dogs and cats and other animals or plenty of objects, etc...

For exemple with cats, it shows me all my photos with cats, even in difficult to identify situations (like a cat in the dark)....

And there's also other great features like the auto-creation of panoramas, of animated photos and even videos.... and of course it's super easy to share those photos with anyone, I only have to select them and to create a link to be shared... and the fact that you can navigate in all your photos and videos on any device (phone, computer...) connected to your Google Photo account...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 03:32 AM   #34703
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

To host images for forums, the best it third party hosting...

For example I'm used to host my images for sharing on forums on reho.st which is a hosting website created by the community of the french forum hardware.fr (where I go a lot), and this kind of solution is excellent because it is not that expensive, it is reliable (unlike Imageshack who deleted all the hosted pictures few years ago, damaging a lot of internet who now have gone pictures....) and it provides the pictures at the righ size you need so you only have to copy the size you want to post on the forum and it's done...

SCC should definitly have one like this...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 08:40 AM   #34704
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 09:28 AM   #34705
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What is the status of DAB+ radio implementation in your country?
Not a single radio station and hence no users as well. I have no clue on how many people have devices capable of playing DAB+ radio, probably very few.

The situation in Estonia is similar to what Matti described about Finland. 4G covers roughly 97% of Estonia's surface area so listening to internet radio stations or streaming music by other means (e.g. Spotify) isn't going to be an issue for a vast majority of people. However, FM radio will still probably exist for years if not decades. We have plenty of available frequencies for radio stations without having to compete with each other too much. Besides, radio is most used in the car and by old people, neither of whom has the capability to switch to a digital radio setup easily. Audio quality isn't really an issue either. If that's your concern you can switch to other means of listening to music. For talkshows it doesn't matter at all.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 10:52 AM   #34706
MattiG

Likes (Received): 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Not a single radio station and hence no users as well. I have no clue on how many people have devices capable of playing DAB+ radio, probably very few.

The situation in Estonia is similar to what Matti described about Finland. 4G covers roughly 97% of Estonia's surface area so listening to internet radio stations or streaming music by other means (e.g. Spotify) isn't going to be an issue for a vast majority of people.
In addition, the technology evolves to allow frequency bands to carry more information. In a recent announcement, Nokia, Qualcomm and Yle demonstraded something called "LTE Supplemental Downlink in a TV Broadcast Band". It is stuff marketed as 4.5G or 4.9G, and the idea is to transmit both DVB-T2 digital video and LTE broadcast streams over a shared UHF band. There are gaps between the DVB channels, and the LTE traffic is multiplexed in that unused capacity.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 12:32 PM   #34707
italystf

Reggio Emilia, Italy

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Alex_ZR, cinxxx, winnipeg liked this post
Old October 11th, 2016, 01:17 PM   #34708
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Usually contracts are written so that a contractor must build a complete object with every detail even if that means painting lines into bushes. It is not just in Italy.

As for DAB+: in Slovenia they started broadcasting just previous month but majority of cars and home radios don't support it. I believe DAB+ is a dead end and won't take over FM as internet is more and more entering cars. And FM is still the most effective mean to deliver necessary information in emergency conditions.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #34709
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

So? The roundabout is probably just prepared for a future sideroad. Nothing special, I see it in NL pretty often.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 01:35 PM   #34710
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Tonight it snowed here on 800 m.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 03:39 PM   #34711
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Tonight it snowed here on 800 m.
Pretty funny thing in the mountains near Turin.
Snowstorm in the bottom of the valley at 1700 m:

Clear skies and no snow directly above it, at 2800 m:
https://bessanese.panomax.com/
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 07:35 PM   #34712
italystf

Could someone suggest me the best English-language news websites related to the following countries:
- Austria
- Hungary
- Czech Republic
- Poland
It's for a research project I'm involved. I'm particularly interested in news about national and European politics. I possibly don't want websites related to a particular party or ideology.
Thanks you.
Old October 11th, 2016, 07:37 PM   #34713
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

The European version of Politico is pretty extensive on politics in most European countries, all in English: http://www.politico.eu/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

italystf liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 07:53 PM   #34714
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I possibly don't want websites related to a particular party or ideology.
For Hungary I don't know any independent, not to a certain political ideology related news site. Not even in Hungarian. And I don't know any in English.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 08:18 PM   #34715
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

If you want Czech, then try http://www.thedaily.cz/

Last edited by volodaaaa; October 11th, 2016 at 08:24 PM.
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 01:38 AM   #34716
Verso
Islander

Lol, I've finally discovered how to find your first/oldest posts. My first post was deleted though.
Old October 12th, 2016, 03:26 AM   #34717
Alatar

Likes (Received): 383

For Poland maybe these:
http://www.thenews.pl/
http://www.pap.pl/en/
Alatar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 05:50 PM   #34718
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Lol, I've finally discovered how to find your first/oldest posts. My first post was deleted though.
my first post is still alive. it was a question how to post a photos on forum

one very interesting thing: among my oldest posts I found some short debate where I was attacked by UK forum member who mentioned me as newbie in context that i won't be long the member of the forum
Old October 12th, 2016, 07:03 PM   #34719
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

Many of us are long-term members, with membership dating back 10 years or more.

Some of the younger generation prefer social media, but it doesn't offer good options for either in-depth or long-term discussions. Facebook is terrible at showing content from pages into members' feeds. Apparently about two-thirds of members of a group page do not see the average post from that group in their feed (unless the page owner pays Facebook a fee!)

So I think discussion forums like these will continue to have a raison d'ętre besides Facebook and other social media platforms, a big difference is that Skyscrapercity does not get to decide what you see and what you won't see on the forum, whereas Facebook extensively controls what their users get to see.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Rebasepoiss, Attus liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; October 12th, 2016 at 08:45 PM.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 07:22 PM   #34720
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
my first post is still alive. it was a question how to post a photos on forum
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=138

Tags
highways, motorways