daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2016, 12:47 PM   #34761
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

I hate the whole idea and concept of tipping.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2016, 12:58 PM   #34762
bogdymol
bogdymod

I think tipping is ok, but only if you do that little extra so that you deserve it. If you do just what you are paid for, you shouldn't get a tip.

However, I have never imagined that they are waiting for a tip even at the check-in counter at the airport.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:05 PM   #34763
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

In the US people do tip because they don't pay, or pay less, for certain services that in other counties have fixed, mandatory, prices.
For example in Italy, most restaurants charge 1-2€ for 'coperto', to pay the service. This is included in the final bill and you must pay it. In US they don't, so people tip.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:27 PM   #34764
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18300

Yeah, but those are restaurants.
In the USA you have to tip for almost everything. A colleague went there for vacation and told that they payed only for tipping many hundred dollars.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #34765
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

What about 'tipping' to border crossing officials in Balkans countries?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:55 PM   #34766
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Yeah, but those are restaurants.
In the USA you have to tip for almost everything. A colleague went there for vacation and told that they payed only for tipping many hundred dollars.
Exactly. In principle, if they don't get decent wages, it's not my problem. They should strike or join a union and demand that employers pay them better.
Old October 20th, 2016, 02:05 PM   #34767
MattiG

Likes (Received): 616

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I hate the whole idea and concept of tipping.
Agree. The price of a product or a service should be visible at the price tag.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 02:21 PM   #34768
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Tipping is very uncommon in the Netherlands, except perhaps at restaurants, but I don't think it will be frowned upon if you don't tip.

But in some societies, you can't make a living with certain service jobs without tips.

Last year I was in Spain and there was a guy filling up my tank. Was I supposed to tip the guy? I'm not used to be being served at fuel stations.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 03:49 PM   #34769
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
What about 'tipping' to border crossing officials in Balkans countries?
Never did and never had to do that. They always wanted to get rid of me quickly.
I think I annoyed them when i asked them to get a stamp in passport

About tipping at restaurants, I usually do it, if I find the service good, and usually it is.
I also leave them 1-2€ when I go to the barber, those guys have bad salaries. But nobody here complains if you don't tip.
Old October 20th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #34770
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Last year I was in Spain and there was a guy filling up my tank. Was I supposed to tip the guy? I'm not used to be being served at fuel stations.
At least in Italy there are pump stations with manned and unmanned hoses, and the manned one are already more expensive, to cover for personnel costs, so I don't think you have to tip.
Old October 20th, 2016, 03:54 PM   #34771
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Never did and never had to do that. They always wanted to get rid of me quickly.
I think I annoyed them when i asked them to get a stamp in passport

About tipping at restaurants, I usually do it, if I find the service good, and usually it is.
I also leave them 1-2€ when I go to the barber, those guys have bad salaries. But nobody here complains if you don't tip.
I remember when I was in Germany to have used the "stimmt so" rule of thumb, just to get rid of change.
Old October 20th, 2016, 03:55 PM   #34772
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What do you guys pay for a simple haircut?

In the Netherlands you'll pay as much as € 25 - 30 for a basic men's haircut, but there are barbers who don't have a shop, but come to your house. They are cheaper, my barber cost € 15 for a haircut at home.
Old October 20th, 2016, 03:57 PM   #34773
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:

In the Netherlands you'll pay as much as € 25 - 30 for a basic men's haircut, but there are barbers who don't have a shop, but come to your house. They are cheaper, my barber cost € 15 for a haircut at home.
In Italy anything from 10 to 20 euro for a men's haircut.
Old October 20th, 2016, 04:15 PM   #34774
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

In the NL seems like services are more expensive than here. You pay more for fuel, car tax, etc.
Last I was at the barber, it cost 16, gave him 18. It's not a "premium" barber, but it does the job for me, it's close to my home...
Old October 20th, 2016, 04:17 PM   #34775
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4005

In Serbia men's haircut costs about 2 €...

cinxxx, Verso, Kanadzie liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 04:27 PM   #34776
MattiG

Likes (Received): 616

Quote:

It depends...

In the bigger cities, the rates are pretty high because of high rental fees, typically 25-30 euro, even more if the place is "in". In the provinces and countryside, the price halves.

My favorite place to go is located in a Ruoholahti shopping center close to an ex-Nokia campus in the western Helsinki. Easily accessible (motorway, huge parking space, bus, metro, tram) and usually no need to book in advance (almost 10 seats). The easy logistics has more weight for me than the price of 29 eur.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 05:40 PM   #34777
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:

€9 for a haircut at home here.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 05:51 PM   #34778
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's probably moonlighting (i.e. not paying taxes on it). My barber is a freelancer who pays income tax and insurances, all legal and above-board.
Old October 20th, 2016, 06:03 PM   #34779
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

I usually pay €10 for a haircut here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
When refueling the car, you have to pay in before (good luck if you want to fill up the tank).
Some time ago I decided to quit the gas station of a well-known brand I used to go in favor of an unmanned station a local company has set up in an industrial zone, which is much cheaper (Up to €0.10/l, with an additional €0.03/l if one has a client card) and basically does the same if paying with cash.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #34780
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

I pay € 17 for haircuts at a hair shop. I used to pay substantially more when I first arrived and had longer (neck-length) hair that required extra care like straightening every other month.

Tags
highways, motorways