daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2016, 12:06 PM   #34801
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
A wide median with no crash barrier in the middle is legal?
There appears to be a hump in the middle but apparently it can't prevent accidents.
https://www.google.si/maps/@52.08067...2!8i6656?hl=sl
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2016, 12:13 PM   #34802
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

That's a different motorway (A12). The crossover incident occurred on A2, where there is no hump in the median.

Apparently the 30 meter separation between traffic is considered enough not to require a median divider. But there are so many crash barriers to fend off the overhead portals they may as well have extended them to form a continuous crash barrier. Especially on this billion euro expansion project the cost can't be too prohibitive.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 12:22 PM   #34803
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

yesterday i have experienced something very nasty in traffic: the fog wall. it was late evening, completely night already, here and there foggy. I was doing cca 80 km/h and then suddenly after the forrest there is a short bridge over the stream and it happened. only white, visibility was really minimal, maybe 20 metres. it lasted for cca 200 metres, after which it became more sparse. my instant reaction was probably the worst possible: hard braking, but it was really automatic and i cannot think that i would possibly react different. while braking, i also instantly began to think about negative aspects of hard braking in such occasion so i managed to turn on all the lights in the same second while started to brake, all fog lights and blinkers. it really makes people confusing, you don't know wether to brake or to keep going considering the traffic in front and after you.

my sister was in car with me and she smelled some smoke, so it probably happened because there was smoke in the air, which associates moisture particles, so it becomes much more dense than usually (you know that when fog often smells on smoke)
Old October 23rd, 2016, 12:25 PM   #34804
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's a difficult situation;
* continue driving at speed: risk plowing into a vehicle in front of you
* braking hard: risk having other people plow into you

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

volodaaaa liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2016, 12:31 PM   #34805
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
yesterday i have experienced something very nasty in traffic: the fog wall. it was late evening, completely night already, here and there foggy. I was doing cca 80 km/h and then suddenly after the forrest there is a short bridge over the stream and it happened. only white, visibility was really minimal, maybe 20 metres. it lasted for cca 200 metres, after which it became more sparse. my instant reaction was probably the worst possible: hard braking, but it was really automatic and i cannot think that i would possibly react different. while braking, i also instantly began to think about negative aspects of hard braking in such occasion so i managed to turn on all the lights in the same second while started to brake, all fog lights and blinkers. it really makes people confusing, you don't know wether to brake or to keep going considering the traffic in front and after you.

my sister was in car with me and she smelled some smoke, so it probably happened because there was smoke in the air, which associates moisture particles, so it becomes much more dense than usually (you know that when fog often smells on smoke)
I've already experienced the same thing and reacted the same way. There is a solution - to slow down even before you drive in so the other drivers will slow down too. The problem is it all happens too fast plus there is a "what the hell is this" factor, which is also time consuming

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 02:43 PM   #34806
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Well you must break but not stop, and that is the crucial difference. You break until 50kmh, that way you are prepared for eventual stopped cars in front and also you are not such a threat for cars in the back who will be slowing down anyway.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 03:33 PM   #34807
volodaaaa

Not in my country where speed-limit-sign means minimal-speed

Old October 23rd, 2016, 04:05 PM   #34808
volodaaaa

just blind polish driver

Old October 23rd, 2016, 04:14 PM   #34809
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Imagine if those pedestrians would've been there at the time of the crash.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 04:52 PM   #34810
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Railway crossings without barriers are extremely dangerous.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 04:54 PM   #34811
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Railway crossings without barriers are extremely dangerous.
You can say the same about intersections. Those who are no careful enough should not be allowed to drive. Especially if you are (supposed to be) professional.

x-type, cinxxx liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2016, 07:31 PM   #34812
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4016

In Serbia, many rail barriers are often out of order, so you must be very careful. Even though train must slow down and honk to warn the drivers.

volodaaaa liked this post
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 08:48 PM   #34813
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Interesting article in English with tons of photos about the Turkmen capital of Ashgabat.
http://varlamov.ru/1749635.html
Short summary:
The fancy kitch buildings we often see on the internet are actually empty and unused, just built for regime propaganda by their crazy North-Korea-like leader. Residents and tourists aren't geneerally allowed to enter vaste areas of the city, and this explains empty parks and squares and 8-lanes boulevards with no traffic.
Regular people lives in run-down buildings mostly from the Soviet era.

Propaganda Ashgabat

Real life Ashgabat
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 08:52 PM   #34814
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

A rail crossing with inactive but present gate is significantly more dangerous than a crossing without any gate! It is like getting a green signal on an intersection whereas the traffic light displays for the other street have been removed!

Kanadzie, Rebasepoiss liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 10:01 PM   #34815
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
A rail crossing with inactive but present gate is significantly more dangerous than a crossing without any gate! It is like getting a green signal on an intersection whereas the traffic light displays for the other street have been removed!
And what? there is a lot of such cases - like additional green arrow signal, or just plain green signal you are supposed to give way at to oncoming traffic and along-walking pedestrians.

The same goes for the drivers who pass the red lights at level crossings while the gates are ascending - another train in other direction can enter the crossing and the gates just fall making a driver trapped inside.

There could be minor mechanical obstacle preventing gates from descending, but once the red signal is flashing - you must not (even if you drive an ambulance) enter the crossing. If the red lights are not working, dispatchers and train drivers surely know that (it is indicated on a dashboard and sometimes at a special signal in track-side) and are obliged to drive at 10 kph and whistle/horn.

Old October 23rd, 2016, 11:49 PM   #34816
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

The Soviet style railway gates were built in such a way that without power the barriers fell to a 45-degree position which indicated to drivers that they should look out for trains.

This photo is from the Estonian road museum:

Source

makaveli6, Verso, riiga liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 11:57 PM   #34817
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post

There could be minor mechanical obstacle preventing gates from descending, but once the red signal is flashing - you must not (even if you drive an ambulance) enter the crossing. If the red lights are not working, dispatchers and train drivers surely know that (it is indicated on a dashboard and sometimes at a special signal in track-side) and are obliged to drive at 10 kph and whistle/horn.
actually, they are obliged to fully stop the train, horn, and pass level crossing with 10 kph.
however, it still leaves place for mistake. last year in my city it happened - train driver simply forgot for instruction that he got and hit the van with 7 people inside.
Old October 24th, 2016, 12:28 AM   #34818
volodaaaa

Quote:
actually, they are obliged to fully stop the train, horn, and pass level crossing with 10 kph.
however, it still leaves place for mistake. last year in my city it happened - train driver simply forgot for instruction that he got and hit the van with 7 people inside.
Sometimes it could happen, I always stop my car before crossing and even pull down the window if there is no good viewpoint.

Btw. this is a special signal for train driver indicating the next three level crossings (because of the numeral) are working properly (e.g. red lights are flashing).

Once the white light is off, the train driver must slow down to 10 kph.

In light of level crossings, this video - especially the ending - is epic

Old October 24th, 2016, 12:36 AM   #34819
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
How is it possible for the signal not to be repaired though?
It is like... OK we know it is broken, but new light bulb we cannot afford
Old October 24th, 2016, 01:00 AM   #34820
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
How is it possible for the signal not to be repaired though?
It is like... OK we know it is broken, but new light bulb we cannot afford
it's usually not about bulbs, but electrical or mechanical failure.

this Soviet way of barrier falling is excellent and very easy to construct. I don't know hoe many of you know, but electric mechanism is actually keeping the barrier up when the passing is free. when the train approaches, the electricity falls down, so does the barrier. (it is opposite of what people usually think)

Verso liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways