daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2016, 11:56 AM   #34941
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

DVDs are from the past century, you should have tried it on Steam (completly dematerialized).... of course unless if your internet is that bad...

As you know here in Romania, such dematerialized content is not a problem even if it weights tens of Gb... (Probably the best thing I enjoy about beeing in Romania...).

About the game, it's a great game but it's getting old, already 3 years old... now everybody is waiting for GTA VI who will be even more better...

But as an "infrastructure enthusiast", you should check the game "Cities : Skyline", it's a game like Simcity but with so much more possibilities and so much better in any way... the best part is that anyone can make mods for the game and you add the mods from Steam, so you can add maps or buildings or even mods that are allowing the player to play the game with more possibilities/differents rules/different IA, etc...

You can build beautifull and clean roads...... or crazy roads like I id in one of my cities...

Incredible game, according to the stats of the game, I already played for 173 hours in maybe 1 year...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2016, 12:12 PM   #34942
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Many laptops don't even come with a DVD player anymore. I have a PC, but have never used the CD/DVD player...

I've read a lot of negative comments about Apple's Macbook Pro not having various ports anymore. They don't have standard USB ports, no SD card readers, no HDMI. I read photographers and video makers being upset by that. They need a bunch of adapters / dongles to work with the new Macbook Pro.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2016, 12:26 PM   #34943
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Many laptops don't even come with a DVD player anymore. I have a PC, but have never used the CD/DVD player...

I've read a lot of negative comments about Apple's Macbook Pro not having various ports anymore. They don't have standard USB ports, no SD card readers, no HDMI. I read photographers and video makers being upset by that. They need a bunch of adapters / dongles to work with the new Macbook Pro.
Apple is usually the first IT brand to discontinue obsolete devices: they removed 3.5 inches floppy drives in 1998 and jacks of IPhones in 2016.
No doubt they won the war against BlackBerry years ago!
Floppy disks became obsolete more than a decade ago, then CD and DVD are following. Maybe standard USB ports will become obsolete too, replaced probably by Micro USB.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2016, 01:04 PM   #34944
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

i don't see the purpose of changing USB jacks with microusb or something third. i only see it utile if they were changed with wireless connection.
Old November 20th, 2016, 01:11 PM   #34945
bogdymol
bogdymod

They are also replacing standard USB 2.0 slots in new laptop with 3.0 and 3.1 which give a lot higher data transfer capacity.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2016, 02:09 PM   #34946
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I haven't played any game in the last few years, so I decided to get one. So I have purchased GTA5 as I have enjoyed this game maybe 10 years ago when I have played last time.

Yesterday I said I should install it on my laptop. I opened the package and I noticed that it came on 7 DVDs. I put the first one inside, started to install it, and then I started to do some house cleaning so that the time passes during installation. Meanwhile I have read on the package that after installation it will need to make some updated

2.5 hours later all the DVDs were installed But then the game said it needs an 8 GB update that it will download from the servers. Estimated download time (with Austrian internet): 2-3 hours Luckily it went quicker than that.

After that it requested another update, about 500 MB in size Once this was finished, I could see the "play" button

I pressed the "play" button, but it requested another 70 MB update I said ok, and in the few minutes it downloaded this I brought close to me something to eat and something to drink while I will finally enjoy the game, plus I took myself a comfortable position on the sofa. I could finally enjoy the game...

After that update was finished, it has started another one, 3 GB in size...

After that one was completed, it still needed something about 600 MB in size.

After 5 or 6 hours from the time I have started the installation, I have finally managed to play the game But just for a few minutes, as I had to leave the house and visit some friends with my wife...
That's a lot of smilies.

cinxxx liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2016, 05:45 PM   #34947
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Apple is usually the first IT brand to discontinue obsolete devices: they removed 3.5 inches floppy drives in 1998 and jacks of IPhones in 2016.
No doubt they won the war against BlackBerry years ago!
Floppy disks became obsolete more than a decade ago, then CD and DVD are following. Maybe standard USB ports will become obsolete too, replaced probably by Micro USB.
Thanks god, no, the standard who will be replacing USB type-A is USB type-C (much better than micro USB) like we already find on some 2016 smartphones and on the new Macbook Pro, which is great... even if they went one more time too far by removing the jack 3.5mm for audio and the SD/microSD card player.... at least they will sold a lot of adapters (at 30$ or more, each)
Old November 20th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #34948
JMBasquiat

Likes (Received): 4695

I wouldn't call the audio-jack obsolete.

When they dropped the floppy disk, there was a better alternative in the form of CDs.

Bluetooth audio is in no way better than the 3.5mm audio-jack; there is a noticeable quality drop, it is more expensive, your headphones need to be charged frequently, etc.

cinxxx, winnipeg, Rebasepoiss, 8166UY, riiga liked this post
JMBasquiat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2016, 07:39 PM   #34949
winnipeg

Yes, certainly the biggest mistake from Apple, way way too early. Hopefully all the other manufacturers seems to not follow Apple on this... they even make jokes about it in their ads... Like Google with the Pixels featuring a "not new" jack 3.5... https://youtu.be/Rykmwn0SMWU?t=44
Old November 20th, 2016, 09:07 PM   #34950
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

but the game is worth it

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2016, 10:07 AM   #34951
Verso
Islander

I dreamed that I was in flooded Milan (flooded by sea!) and I even posted it here.

PS: I drove to Milan with a Yugo

Alex_ZR, cinxxx liked this post
Old November 24th, 2016, 06:42 PM   #34952
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Public support for the EU would increase in Western Europe if they would fund more than just some marginal planning cost which may be 1 or 2% of the project cost. Right now it just transfers all road funding to the east.
This was getting way off-topic in the Croatian motorways thread so I'll address this here.

There are discrepancies the other way round as well. Agricultural subsidies in Western Europe are 4 times as high per hectare as they are in the East...and yet everybody has to compete in the same marketplace. Agriculture is very technology-dependent nowadays and a combine costs the same in Latvia than it does in the Netherlands...so why such a huge difference in subsidies?
Rebasepoiss está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 07:24 PM   #34953
bogdymol
bogdymod

These 2 videos showing Thanksgiving traffic on I-405 interstate in Los Angeles are quite popular these days:

I drove in LA about 3-4 weeks ago and I can confirm that there was always a lot of traffic. Only on a Sunday early in the morning there was less traffic, but nonetheless, the same I-405 from the videos above looked like this on a Sunday at around 12 noon:

Old November 24th, 2016, 07:46 PM   #34954
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Los Angeles is the densest urban area in the U.S. There is a fairly high density throughout the metropolitan area, unlike the older cities of the northeast which have dense cores, but very low density suburbs.

Capacity on L.A. freeways has only been minimally expanded since 1980, while the metropolitan population has grown by over 7 million people since. Imagine adding all traffic of metropolitan Atlanta or Washington to an already congested urban area.

Los Angeles is often seen as a 'freeway walhalla' while in reality the amount of lane miles per capita is one of the lowest among U.S. cities. Los Angeles usually ranks at the top of the most congested metropolitan areas in the U.S.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2016, 12:02 AM   #34955
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

I guess the problem with LA is that the cost of increasing the capacity of existing highways would be very high any way you look at it.
Rebasepoiss está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2016, 12:26 PM   #34956
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I dreamed that I was in flooded Milan (flooded by sea!) and I even posted it here.
You could have been if you were in Turin today:

g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2016, 04:41 PM   #34957
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Weird weather these days, walking across the town with 17°C, but Christmas ornaments already all around.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2016, 05:00 PM   #34958
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
You could have been if you were in Turin today
Actually it might have been Turin, I'm not sure. It was Milan or Turin.
Old November 25th, 2016, 05:32 PM   #34959
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Weird weather these days, walking across the town with 17°C, but Christmas ornaments already all around.

Where I live in the morning were -9 C outside and , and 2 days later there were +21 C so I rode the bike
Old November 25th, 2016, 09:08 PM   #34960
winnipeg

Quote:
Hopefuly during the next week, it will be much cooler...

This is a comparison between tomorrow (26 nov) and tueday (29 nov) showing the temperature anomaly compared to the normal medium temperature at this period of the year... now ith much warmer and during the next week it will be muc cooler, thanks to a massive arctic cold airmass...

An we will even have snow at low altitude here in Romania!

Last edited by winnipeg; November 25th, 2016 at 09:17 PM.

Tags
highways, motorways