daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 25th, 2016, 09:35 PM   #34961
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Hmmm, those maps don't really say anything if you don't know what the normal average temperature is. Anomaly maps look nice, but you need a lot of detailed knowledge of all regional climates to translate it to actual weather conditions.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2016, 09:44 PM   #34962
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

But you can see the differences for a same region, for instance in Slovenia, the temperatures will go from +8/10°C over average to -5/6° under average in only 4 days of distance, which is a big difference...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2016, 09:46 PM   #34963
winnipeg

Here is a map with the temperatures at 19:00 if you prefer (today vs. 29th november)

Old November 25th, 2016, 09:57 PM   #34964
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In case of the Netherlands, anomaly maps can tilt either way. If there is a western circulation, mild winter weather with a lot of precipitation is almost guaranteed. Otherwise if there is circulation from the east, it can be very cold with temperatures dropping far below average.

I think we had three winters in a row now where western winds prevailed, all of them were significantly above average, with many parts of the country not having any significant snowfall or ice on lakes and canals.
Old November 26th, 2016, 06:17 AM   #34965
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Weird weather these days, walking across the town with 17°C, but Christmas ornaments already all around.
Last year in Canada where I am living it was 17°C on 23 December
Old November 26th, 2016, 10:40 AM   #34966
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Last year in Canada where I am living it was 17°C on 23 December
It must have been like celebrating the Christmas in New Zealand.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2016, 10:45 PM   #34967
bogdymol
bogdymod

What would you say to walk alone in the dark and to meet with this guy?

... and about 100 others like him. All together.

I was at a Krampus festival today.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

cinxxx, Attus liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 02:09 PM   #34968
zezi
is out there

Likes (Received): 2450

Volvo Truck commercial - filmed in Croatia

[/QUOTE]

x-type, winnipeg liked this post
zezi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 12:24 AM   #34969
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Since this Wednesday we have three new matches between the Periodic Table and Italian (former) provinces. They are as follow:
Moscovium - Macerata
Tennessine - Trieste
Oganesson - Ogliastra

In addition, Nihonium matches the US state of New Hampshire. Now the Periodic Table appears complete for the first time ever, but who knows if there are even heavier elements awaiting...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

bogdymol liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 01:48 AM   #34970
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Another stunt Volvo commercial, filmed on the then unopened A1 in Croatia

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 02:01 AM   #34971
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

I have a job offer in Bergen, Norway (almost sure I'll get nominated for the position). I'm now trying to check living costs in Bergen, especially housing.

I'd rather stay in the Netherlands, if I get a new contract here next year. Bergen looks pretty, but Netherlands is more neatly organized, and the way things work in this country really fit me in general. Bergen looks fine, but far removed from any other major center. I got used to have several nice metro areas on my reach, dozens of musea around, easy land access to other countries etc.

But the job in Bergen, if it pans out, pays ~3x more than in Netherlands at current exchange rates. So I need to check how much more would I earn on the new Dutch contract if it comes out.

g.spinoza liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 02:22 AM   #34972
winnipeg

As a tourist, Bergen was a very nice place in summer, the Fjords around are wonderfull... but outside summer it's certainly cold, foggy, rainy and snowy I guess... and the cost of everyday life seems tremendously high, even as a tourist, you directly see how much some simple products cost...

But certainly, the living environment is something completly different and next to that Netherlands has almost nothing to offer except a milder climate...

But there's other things to see, probably that Norvegians are different than Netherlandians, and Norvegian is a difficult language... By the way, if it wasn't that difficult, I would have tried to live there, I felt in love with the landscapes... but not their language...

Last edited by winnipeg; December 3rd, 2016 at 02:29 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 02:59 AM   #34973
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
As a tourist, Bergen was a very nice place in summer, the Fjords around are wonderfull... but outside summer it's certainly cold, foggy, rainy and snowy I guess... and the cost of everyday life seems tremendously high, even as a tourist, you directly see how much some simple products cost...

But certainly, the living environment is something completly different and next to that Netherlands has almost nothing to offer except a milder climate...

But there's other things to see, probably that Norvegians are different than Netherlandians, and Norvegian is a difficult language... By the way, if it wasn't that difficult, I would have tried to live there, I felt in love with the landscapes... but not their language...
Bergen does not have very cold weather...

but it has a lot of precipitation

source:Weatherspark

winnipeg liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 11:59 AM   #34974
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

Bergen is the rain capital of Europe
I was there in July this year, locals told me, they almost didn't see the sun all month...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 12:13 PM   #34975
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The housing prices in Oslo are spinning out of control. Bergen growth is more moderate.

The high wages in Norway may seem attractive, but the cost of living is also very high. Just about anything is significantly more expensive than in the Netherlands, including food (NL has relatively low prices for food). I guess it's the choice if the benefits outweigh the cost.

There's a lot of stunning scenery to discover on weekend trips But other cities are far away. There are no motorways nor many rail connections to other regions.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 02:32 PM   #34976
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

It really depends on that what sort of person you are. I was in Dublin just a week ago and I think I couldn't live there, it is not really for me despite interesting pub life. I would rather choose Bergen because I can't live in a flatland like Netherlands. Possibilities for sightseeing and outdoor sports are so much better in Bergen despite more rain. Even in winter is not really cold. Higher costs are probably enough compensated with higher salary. City is as big as Ljubljana where I live and is much better organised. Much larger cities don't have much more to offer except more diverse cultural and night life (which is not priority to me anymore).
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:29 PM   #34977
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There's a lot of stunning scenery to discover on weekend trips But other cities are far away. There are no motorways nor many rail connections to other regions.
Still there is an airport and there are low-cost flights anywhere in Norway
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:44 PM   #34978
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A flight is not really comparable if you're used to having multiple larger cities within an hour of driving / train. I believe Suburbanist lives in Tilburg. There are some 20 cities with a population over 100,000 within a 100 km radius, including Brussels and Amsterdam.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 05:25 PM   #34979
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Depends, if you want large cities in driving range, then Bergen is not for you. But 250.000 large city is still not "nothing to do" city.
Tell me what advantages a 1+ million pop. city could have compared to quarter of a million pop. city for an average citizen.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 05:44 PM   #34980
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I agree. In Norwegian context even a city smaller than 100,000 may have extensive facilities due to it being a center for the whole region.

This summer I was chatting with the campsite owner. He said he had to drive an hour to 'the city' to get everything he needs. That city turned out to be Førde, population: 9,500.

I live in a city with a population of 120,000 and I can get everything I need. It may not have the ambiance of an inner city like Amsterdam, but it also doesn't have the tourist crowd, the traffic congestion, the outrageous rental and housing prices and the crime.

Tags
highways, motorways