daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2016, 05:55 PM   #34981
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Depends, if you want large cities in driving range, then Bergen is not for you. But 250.000 large city is still not "nothing to do" city.
Tell me what advantages a 1+ million pop. city could have compared to quarter of a million pop. city for an average citizen.
I was not referring to regular facilities like doctors or supermarkets. Not even the odd item shopping which is done online today. I was more keen on culture-related programming and the like. Within 2h of my house in Tilburg, I have plenty of museums, galleries, TED talks, symposiums outside my field and the like to keep me intellectually entertained. I'm sure Bergen is no fox hole but I might exhaust options there.

With a higher wage it is possible to travel often by plane, but that is not something as easy as waking up Saturday and choosing between several interesting stuff within a 2h-travel (no hotel required etc).

Anyway, I'll visit Bergen early next year. The position is only starting during summer.

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2016, 09:20 PM   #34982
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Another disadvantage of a place like Bergen is that it's very expensive and time-consuming to travel abroad from there. If you like travelling by car, you'll need a full day just to get out of Norway, while in Central Europe you have several countries within half-day driving distance.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 09:37 PM   #34983
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Another disadvantage of a place like Bergen is that it's very expensive and time-consuming to travel abroad from there. If you like travelling by car, you'll need a full day just to get out of Norway, while in Central Europe you have several countries within half-day driving distance.
By car, of course, roads are too difficult and oil is too expensive, you can't live in Bergen or in northern Norway and expect to trval by your own car in Europe....

But by air, Norway is great, especially with companies like Norwegian which is one of the first and one of the best lowcost long haul companies (because of the new Boeing 787 and Airbus A350, they can make long haul flight with a very low consumption and on a big distance without stopping...)....

For example, in february a flight from Bergen to New-York (with transit in Oslo) is only 186€ for one way...and they have plenty of cheap flights like this despite the high costs of this country...

If you add to that your higher incomes that comes with working in Bergen, then you are way more able to fly where you want from Norway than in some other countries...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 09:41 PM   #34984
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A flight is not really comparable if you're used to having multiple larger cities within an hour of driving / train. I believe Suburbanist lives in Tilburg. There are some 20 cities with a population over 100,000 within a 100 km radius, including Brussels and Amsterdam.
But hopefully all the world didn't have such crazy high population density like you have in benelux.... Compared to that, western Norway seems empty, and it's great!!
Old December 3rd, 2016, 09:51 PM   #34985
Suburbanist
on the road

I'm still hoping I get a good new contract here, I'm almost fully settled (personally) in the Netherlands, and if I can sort career-related issues, I will then take some measures to make my stay permanent, such as buying a house, back-paying for past years since age 15 for the state pension fund etc.
Old December 4th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #34986
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

New images on M7 in Hungary

Photo: MTI

winnipeg, Alex_ZR, x-type liked this post
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 02:53 PM   #34987
winnipeg

Very nice, EV are the future!
Old December 4th, 2016, 02:55 PM   #34988
italystf

This is not a thread about rest areas.
This is the off topic thread for non-road-related discussions.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

winnipeg, Kanadzie liked this post
Old December 4th, 2016, 04:19 PM   #34989
winnipeg

Quote:
This is not a thread about rest areas.
This is the off topic thread for non-road-related discussions.
Ah ah it's funny if he really thought that....
Old December 4th, 2016, 05:49 PM   #34990
bogdymol
bogdymod

You are all wrong. This topic is just for "roadside rest areas". Only difference compared to other threads is that off-topic is allowed in here

So go ahead, be on-topic, and post pictures with interesting rest areas.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

winnipeg liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 06:10 PM   #34991
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19412

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

winnipeg, 8166UY liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 07:21 PM   #34992
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

This is a "Pihenöhely" too...😉
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #34993
winnipeg

I don't know if it's interresting but in june 2016, I made some drone photos of a rest area between Timisoara and Arad on Romanian highway A1 (I was making some photos of a beautiful sunset), but it was left on one of my hard drives and I never thought I would post it somewhere oneday...

Actualy some interesting things to see on it are the temporary mobile gas station that will probably stay many years because they don't seems to want to build real ones... and we can see all the road repairs that already had to be done only few years after opening... (something that happens often on new romanian higways sometime due to the poor road construction, sometimes because of the poor feasibility studies...).

hofburg liked this post
Old December 4th, 2016, 08:08 PM   #34994
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Have you ever noticed that Wikipedia (the English one) has a systemic bias to public transport / rail? Most articles about large cities usually have extensive coverage on its public transport system, but only limited coverage on its roads and motorways, in some cases there is no information at all. For example the article about Guangzhou has no information at all about road transport despite it being located in one of the largest metropolitan expressway networks in the world. Many other articles only contain a list of highways running through the city, with no background information. Even the more in-depth articles often lack substance, for example Transport in São Paulo or Transport in Iran.
Old December 4th, 2016, 09:49 PM   #34995
italystf

Quote:
Have you ever noticed that Wikipedia (the English one) has a systemic bias to public transport / rail? Most articles about large cities usually have extensive coverage on its public transport system, but only limited coverage on its roads and motorways, in some cases there is no information at all. For example the article about Guangzhou has no information at all about road transport despite it being located in one of the largest metropolitan expressway networks in the world. Many other articles only contain a list of highways running through the city, with no background information. Even the more in-depth articles often lack substance, for example Transport in São Paulo or Transport in Iran.
I can say the same about history of transportation. You can always find exact historical dates of opening of railways, rail stations, metro lines, even those from the 19th century. it's more difficult to find opening dates of highways, even if they are only 20 or 30 yeats old.
I guess that there are more people interested in railways and PT rather than roads, so there's more demand and supply of information on the net.
Old December 4th, 2016, 10:18 PM   #34996
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
I can say the same about history of transportation. You can always find exact historical dates of opening of railways, rail stations, metro lines, even those from the 19th century. it's more difficult to find opening dates of highways, even if they are only 20 or 30 yeats old.
I guess that there are more people interested in railways and PT rather than roads, so there's more demand and supply of information on the net.
In regard of old history of roads, I think there is something else: railways used to be very inward-looking companies that ran every aspect of operation, and as such developed some 'loyal' groups around it. Road transport, in a broad sense, has always been more fragmented, there has never been something like a national truck company that operated all trucks in all roads, for instance... The automotive manufacturing business has been separate from road building/operation business.

To make things more complicated, cars could run on former ancient horse-drawn carriage ROWs, whereas trains needed specific brand-new 19th Century infrastructure...
Old December 5th, 2016, 05:51 PM   #34997
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1822

Quote:
I really feel that when living in Tallinn or Estonia in general. It's nearly 700km or 8 hours of driving just to get to the Polish border. France is basically just as far away as Kazakhstan, yet I have no wish to drive to the latter.

RipleyLV liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 05:54 PM   #34998
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A city like Munich or Frankfurt would be ideal. There is a huge amount of destinations, cities and countries you can get to within 10 hours of driving.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol liked this post
Old December 5th, 2016, 06:17 PM   #34999
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Have you ever noticed that Wikipedia (the English one) has a systemic bias to public transport / rail?
I see three reasons for that:
1., Public transport is a much more complex system than road network. It's not only an infrastructure but vehicles, stations as well. Ther are lots of people that are enthusiasts of locos, or trams or metro trains, other people of metro stations, etc.
2., There are lots of roads anywhere in the world. There is one in front of your house as well. A motorway or an urban expressway is a bit different road, but these are roads as well. Railways/trams are something specific.
3., Motorways look the same all about the world. Tarmac, white lines, crash barrier. Railways are different everywhere (wich is actually a huge problem if you want develop your network...), some use 1.5kV DC, some 15kV AC, some use overhead wires, other ones use third rails, some are not electrified at all. Some use low platforms, some high ones.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 07:09 PM   #35000
ChrisZwolle
Road user

While those are certainly valid arguments for extensive coverage on public transport systems, a road system is also much more than just some asphalt with painted lines.

Whole books have been written about freeway systems in Houston or Dallas. There is a gigantic amount of literature and handbooks regarding roads and traffic. There are plenty of websites with extensive coverage about roads (i.e. Wikisara, Wegenwiki, Autobahn-online, wegen-routes, New York roads, Boston roads, Autobahnen.ch) not to mention internet forums about the subject. It's not that much of a niche subject, though I surely believe that transit has more fervent aficionados.

Perhaps most people interested in roads are more leaning towards cars and trucks instead of the infrastructure that carries them.

Tags
highways, motorways