daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2016, 09:53 PM   #35021
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Traffic fatalities in Estonia reached 2015 numbers already by the end of November. This year is going to be significantly worse than 2015 (although probably quite similar to 2014). That being said, Estonia has so few fatalities overall that a few serious accidents will have a relatively big impact on the per capita number.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2016, 11:15 PM   #35022
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Dashcam video from MKAD, Moscow A54 motorway near Pavia
Two cyclists wrong way and a car turning right too late
http://video.gelocal.it/ilpiccolo/cr...le/65300/65657
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

cinxxx liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 09:02 AM   #35023
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

What was that? Cursed place, radiation from the universe or what?

Btw. It happened to me on a turbo-two-lane-roundabout. One lady had some troubles to get how it works and she unexpectedly and suddenly changed the lane in the middle of the roundabout to cut me off. I braked as much as possible and honked at her - she returned back to her lane. I thought it would be better to overtake her but she suddenly did the same again. She also almost hit a pedestrian and another car - and apparently she did not have indicators in her basic equipment (poor lady).

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 11:37 PM   #35024
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Yesterday i drove on slovenian motorway towards Kranj at night and i must say that those how you call them "plastic road edge markers" are garbage. There is no reflection whatsoever.. i don't know maybe they are not set properly or just not cleaned.
Not to mention that they could install some sort of those raised pavement markers (cat's eyes).

Americans have affectionately named them Macht Nichts (mokt nix) Sticks .
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2016, 12:50 PM   #35025
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Dashcam video from MKAD, Moscow
When you see all 10 lanes of MKAD in action at 12:54 (I had a privilege this year), you wouldn't even think of writing that and striking through. It is impossible for any cyclists to survive more than a minute on MKAD as traffic is incredibly dense almost through all day. Drivers behaviour is in my experience pretty much similar to Milano area.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2016, 08:58 PM   #35026
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Car sales in the Netherlands are really out of whack compared to all other EU countries.

November 2016: -20,0%, Jan-Nov 2016: -8,6%

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2016, 09:55 PM   #35027
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolli View Post
Yesterday i drove on slovenian motorway towards Kranj at night and i must say that those how you call them "plastic road edge markers" are garbage. There is no reflection whatsoever.. i don't know maybe they are not set properly or just not cleaned.
Not to mention that they could install some sort of those raised pavement markers (cat's eyes).

Americans have affectionately named them Macht Nichts (mokt nix) Sticks .
must have been dirt. i haven't noticed problems with retroreflection of those things (whatever their name is) in SLO. i also appreciate DARS positioning them on each 25 metres instead of usual 50.
Old December 16th, 2016, 11:50 AM   #35028
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Car sales in the Netherlands are really out of whack compared to all other EU countries.

November 2016: -20,0%, Jan-Nov 2016: -8,6%
Is there an explanation for this? A rise in taxes?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #35029
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The taxation system for company cars will change radically in 2017, which is an important factor, as two-thirds of the new car sales in the Netherlands are company cars. They will eliminate tax reductions on plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. Only battery-electric vehicles still have a low tax rate.

Car sales in the Netherlands are dominated by second-hand cars (both domestic and import). Annually some 1.8 million cars are sold in the Netherlands, but only some 140,000 of those are new, non-company cars.
Old December 16th, 2016, 04:12 PM   #35030
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Well, if the system changes (for worse) in 2017, I would expect a rise in the registration of new cars before the end of the year...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2016, 04:22 PM   #35031
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Well, if the system changes (for worse) in 2017, I would expect a rise in the registration of new cars before the end of the year...
No, because it recently already changed for the worse. Lease-contracts are being pushed to their 5 year limit to be able to profit from lower 'bijtelling' as long as possible.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #35032
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The taxation system for company cars will change radically in 2017, which is an important factor, as two-thirds of the new car sales in the Netherlands are company cars. They will eliminate tax reductions on plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. Only battery-electric vehicles still have a low tax rate.

Car sales in the Netherlands are dominated by second-hand cars (both domestic and import). Annually some 1.8 million cars are sold in the Netherlands, but only some 140,000 of those are new, non-company cars.
Is this because they realized that hybrid cars are mostly driven with the fuel mode?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2016, 05:09 PM   #35033
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, fuel card data showed they consumed almost the same amount as a non plug-in vehicle. So it makes no sense to give tax cuts without achieving environmental goals.

For example the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, which is supposed to consume 1.9 L/100 km, had an actual average consumption of 6.5 L/100 km, based on fuel card data.

2016 data:
Old December 16th, 2016, 05:14 PM   #35034
Broccolli

Likes (Received): 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
must have been dirt. i haven't noticed problems with retroreflection of those things (whatever their name is) in SLO.
Mehh they are useless. Also there were some roadworks on this particular section of motorway (around Brnik Exit) couple weeks ago, and i was full of expectations that they will make some "road signalization/marking" improvement but nothing...

How about that!

Last edited by Broccolli; December 16th, 2016 at 05:34 PM. Reason: video...
Broccolli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2016, 05:50 PM   #35035
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolli View Post
Mehh they are useless. Also there were some roadworks on this particular section of motorway (around Brnik Exit) couple weeks ago, and i was full of expectations that they will make some "road signalization/marking" improvement but nothing...

How about that!
Hmke5dOVhg4
meh. ok idea, but imo nothing can change those side bars. actually, i don't know how some countries could functionate without them. for instance Bulgaria didn't use them (although i saw them on my trip to Sofia a month ago, so obviously they start to use them) or Romania.
Old December 16th, 2016, 06:09 PM   #35036
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

When I drove from Hungary to Romania, and it was night, I was shocked by how bad markings and everything were...
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2016, 11:10 PM   #35037
volodaaaa

Hi guys. Can you help me? I am looking for a computer mouse that deliberately moves with a cursor. Let's say a have a software that evaluates my activity and I would like to be always active. The computer is secured so no software solution could work.

Do you think that there is something hardware based?

Old December 16th, 2016, 11:27 PM   #35038
bogdymol
bogdymod

You want your boss to think that you are working while you browse SSC on your phone?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2016, 01:59 AM   #35039
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
meh. ok idea, but imo nothing can change those side bars. actually, i don't know how some countries could functionate without them. for instance Bulgaria didn't use them (although i saw them on my trip to Sofia a month ago, so obviously they start to use them) or Romania.
In North America those side posts don't really exist at all. Sometimes if there is a bridge railing a little sign but otherwise nothing. I always wondered what they were for in Europe (and also like the Polish use of red )
Old December 17th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #35040
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
You want your boss to think that you are working while you browse SSC on your phone?
Actually, it is for my mom for the same purpose. Except SSC

Tags
highways, motorways