daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2016, 11:05 PM   #35041
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Btw. a strange case happened in Czech republic two weeks ago. A 21-years old lady was ran over by a train which is not very rare, but the way her boyfriend reacted really was epically sick.

Few hours after the accident he logged in to her FB profile and wrote a status using the life event - The loss of the loved one. He even used the place and the name tag! The brief translation of his status:

"Hi folks, quite an unpleasant thing happened today. We were returning from the party with Michaela (the deceased girl) and our friends dropped us off to the train stop. We were on the wrong side of the track so as we saw our train approaching the stop we decided to run across the track to get on the right platform in time. We though it was our local train which obviously was not. Apparently, it was EuroCity train hurtling at 160 kph. I made it but Michaela was smashed.

But I am not even sad. Her soul is now with the Peace and Eternity, exactly where it is supposed to be. Everything is in line with the Fate".

Since her profile is public, even people that were not related to her started to get mad at him. The most notable answers:

"I don't understand why her family thinks of it so tragically. It was supposed to happen like that".

Or

"Just after the accident I had a talk with fire-fighter's psychotherapist - It was short, I told him he is done here. Furthermore I think I taught him something - the alternative approach."

Two days ago he posted again. That status was about him being ready to be connected with her soul. Later on he indirectly told that she is happy. He reportedly did a two hours lasting video about that "connection". The video was published on Youtube and he was smiling in it.

Some people accuse him of being a severe drug user (especially Ayahuasca) and a sect guru. They were dating only for three months and were reportedly regular drug users. It still has not been investigated whether she was under influence and lost the sense of time, she was forced to do it or if he pushed her under the train deliberately so that he can experiment with those post-mortem talks.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2016, 03:25 AM   #35042
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

An experiment to optimize the morning school drop-off run in a super-low density area (meaning: former farms sparsely developed without any sort of cluster, no transit, and no sidewalks).

Old December 18th, 2016, 03:47 AM   #35043
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Btw. a strange case happened in Czech republic two weeks ago. A 21-years old lady was ran over by a train which is not very rare, but the way her boyfriend reacted really was epically sick.

Few hours after the accident he logged in to her FB profile and wrote a status using the life event - The loss of the loved one. He even used the place and the name tag! The brief translation of his status:

"Hi folks, quite an unpleasant thing happened today. We were returning from the party with Michaela (the deceased girl) and our friends dropped us off to the train stop. We were on the wrong side of the track so as we saw our train approaching the stop we decided to run across the track to get on the right platform in time. We though it was our local train which obviously was not. Apparently, it was EuroCity train hurtling at 160 kph. I made it but Michaela was smashed.

But I am not even sad. Her soul is now with the Peace and Eternity, exactly where it is supposed to be. Everything is in line with the Fate".

Since her profile is public, even people that were not related to her started to get mad at him. The most notable answers:

"I don't understand why her family thinks of it so tragically. It was supposed to happen like that".

Or

"Just after the accident I had a talk with fire-fighter's psychotherapist - It was short, I told him he is done here. Furthermore I think I taught him something - the alternative approach."

Two days ago he posted again. That status was about him being ready to be connected with her soul. Later on he indirectly told that she is happy. He reportedly did a two hours lasting video about that "connection". The video was published on Youtube and he was smiling in it.

Some people accuse him of being a severe drug user (especially Ayahuasca) and a sect guru. They were dating only for three months and were reportedly regular drug users. It still has not been investigated whether she was under influence and lost the sense of time, she was forced to do it or if he pushed her under the train deliberately so that he can experiment with those post-mortem talks.
Still, running on rail tracks like this is the most stupid thing to do....
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 11:54 AM   #35044
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccolli View Post
Mehh they are useless. Also there were some roadworks on this particular section of motorway (around Brnik Exit) couple weeks ago, and i was full of expectations that they will make some "road signalization/marking" improvement but nothing...

How about that!
Italian A35 and A58 implemented a new fog lighting throughout their whole length... I hadn't the chance to see it in action yet, but it seems a lot of users wrote to the concessionaires praising this safety feature:

In the last 10 days or so, the Po Plain was caught in a very severe and lasting fog sheet:

g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 12:51 PM   #35045
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
An experiment to optimize the morning school drop-off run in a super-low density area (meaning: former farms sparsely developed without any sort of cluster, no transit, and no sidewalks).

What a waste...
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 01:04 PM   #35046
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

That's ridiculous.

Though I'm not sure there is an easy solution here. You read those comments about how parents should drop them off at the main road and let them walk a few hundred feet. But if you do that, the whole main road becomes clogged. Dropping the kids off in the parking lot with traffic moving all the time isn't exactly a safe solution either.

There is a high school about a mile away that has a 30-something school bus fleet parked on its property. Are they doing that fundamentally different?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 04:27 PM   #35047
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Fog lighting on a motorway (not a car) doesn't do much. Sure it is easier to see the road trajectory ahead, but you have to drive slow anyway, and at speeds below 80 km/h you don't have any problems folowing a motorway.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 04:43 PM   #35048
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
In the last 10 days or so, the Po Plain was caught in a very severe and lasting fog sheet
On contrary Slovenia has been more or less sunny the last two months, even Ljubljana, which is always covered in fog in autumn. This is by far the sunniest autumn I remember.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 08:38 PM   #35049
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
Fog lighting on a motorway (not a car) doesn't do much. Sure it is easier to see the road trajectory ahead, but you have to drive slow anyway, and at speeds below 80 km/h you don't have any problems folowing a motorway.
I beg to differ, I think that lighting is a good idea. It depends on how thick fog is: I can assure you that sometimes 80 km/h is lightspeed, in relation to how thick the fog we were having was.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 08:50 PM   #35050
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I once drove 15 km in an hour due to dense fog, you couldn't even see which exit to take on a small roundabout!

It was after midnight on January 1, 2008. Already dense fog exacerbated by fireworks created an incredibly dense fog, they even shut down motorways because people could not find their exit. You couldn't see overhead signage or traffic lights from the car, that's how dense the fog was.
Old December 18th, 2016, 09:29 PM   #35051
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

I think this lighting is very helpful, especially under the thick fog conditions that plague the Po valley flatlands. That area was just made for mist and fog, a narrowing triangle surrounded by tall mountains on two sides with and strong blasting sea winds from the other.

These lights are positioned at a different angle, they are meant for oblique visualization instead of rear-vision like car lights.
Old December 19th, 2016, 12:03 AM   #35052
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I once drove 15 km in an hour due to dense fog, you couldn't even see which exit to take on a small roundabout!

It was after midnight on January 1, 2008. Already dense fog exacerbated by fireworks created an incredibly dense fog, they even shut down motorways because people could not find their exit. You couldn't see overhead signage or traffic lights from the car, that's how dense the fog was.
fog + smoke = incredibly dense fog. that's incredible how even weak smoke makes fog much more dense than it usualy is.
Old December 19th, 2016, 12:50 AM   #35053
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Today I had to turn off a road under reduced visibility conditions. The worst thing is, it was the only spot of my trip where fog was present .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2016, 02:46 PM   #35054
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Dropbox "drops" their public folder service. It pisses me a lot. It also means that many of my pictures shared at SSC will disappear in March.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Shar...er/td-p/197906

I will need to find a cloud alternative, or I will be finally forced to arrange filesharing via my own hosting. Would you guys know of an alternative?
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2016, 03:38 PM   #35055
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Dropbox "drops" their public folder service. It pisses me a lot. It also means that many of my pictures shared at SSC will disappear in March.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Shar...er/td-p/197906

I will need to find a cloud alternative, or I will be finally forced to arrange filesharing via my own hosting. Would you guys know of an alternative?
Imgur, it's strong and very used picture hosting website...

But it's à shame that SCS didn't have his on picture hosting...

bogdymol, Surel liked this post
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #35056
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I use imgur for printscreen and re-uploads of Facebook photos* and Flickr for my own photos.

Facebook photo URLs tend to deprecate, varying from a few days to a few months. It's best not to hotlink Facebook photos.

Google's photo URLs use a format that is not supported by most browsers. They appear to others as just empty spaces.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Surel liked this post
Old December 19th, 2016, 10:56 PM   #35057
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

I do not know where to put it, but never buy Merci advent calendar. It contains only the least popular candies. Just have found out.

Kanadzie liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2016, 11:00 PM   #35058
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18311

Sunday fun in Frankfurt, filmed by me
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 02:44 AM   #35059
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I do not know where to put it, but never buy Merci advent calendar. It contains only the least popular candies. Just have found out.
Merci at Christmas in my family always starts out amazing and ends so frustrating, always a fight for the good ones then the last crappy ones are there for week
Old December 20th, 2016, 06:37 PM   #35060
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Merci at Christmas in my family always starts out amazing and ends so frustrating, always a fight for the good ones then the last crappy ones are there for week
had that situation in my office yesteday. i got the biggest Merci, we shared it, and now only those bitter chocolate left. and some marzipan (i like those with marzipan, unlike my colleagues)

Tags
highways, motorways