daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 26th, 2016, 08:28 PM   #35161
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Hi guys. Sorry for bringing the already-discussed topic up, but which car brands do you consider (based on your own experiences) most reliable?

I would like to buy a car and now I am thinking about either Kia or Toyota.

I used to have a Japanese car (Suzuki) which was once in repair service (my battery died). Now I have Opel and there is not a single month without any failure or problem.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2016, 08:33 PM   #35162
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

seat ibiza , 13 years without any problem ( 510.000 km )

Last edited by VITORIA MAN; December 27th, 2016 at 11:16 AM.
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2016, 09:16 PM   #35163
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

In the 1990s, Japanese cars - Toyota in particular - were the most reliable cars. Although perhaps a bit more expensive at initial purchase, repairs tend to be cheaper.

Today most cars are generally reliable. I like Hyundai for its 5 year unlimited warranty. Kia has 7 years warranty, but with a mileage cap and only on the basic equipment.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2016, 10:09 PM   #35164
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

BMW offers a 5 year/200,000 km warranty + free services for 5 years/100,000 km in the Estonian market as standard.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2016, 10:15 PM   #35165
ChrisZwolle
Road user

BMW offers only 2 years warranty in the Netherlands. I believe that's the minimum warranty according to EU-regulations. Starting in 2017, new BMWs will get 3 year warranty in NL.
Old December 26th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #35166
bogdymol
bogdymod

I drive a 2013 Ford Focus that I bought 2 years ago when it had 49500 km. Now it has 108000 km and the only issue I had with it was a welding in the trunk that was not done properly and there was water getting inside every time it rained. I fixed it with 25 euro in Romania, but it was hard to find it.

Apart from that, I am very happy with the car.

The car came at that time with 2 years warranty but the new ones come now with 4 years in Romania.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2016, 11:49 PM   #35167
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

My 2008 Peugeot 207 has had a lot of electrical problems. My collegue's 2014 Peugeot 408 SW spent more time in the workshop than on the road.
I would not recommend Peugeot...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 12:07 AM   #35168
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

I'd say the same about Citroen. My mother has an early 2013 Citroen DS5 with less than 80,000 km and it's had lots of issues, both electrical and mechanical. E.g. the engine coolant started to leak at around 10,000 km, this had to be fixed twice... The keyless-go stopped working at some point so that had to be changed. This winter season the "service" light has been coming on if the temperature is below 10C-ish but the diagnostics don't show anything at the dealership. Now most recently the engine oil pressure warning light has showed up twice and then just disappeared.

Not to mention that the (halogen) headlights are the worst anyone's ever seen and the fuel consumption of this 1.6 litre petrol engine is on par or worse than on her previous 2005 2.2 Opel Vectra.

It's a shame, really, because the French make some of the most interesting and characterful cars out there.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 10:49 AM   #35169
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

From my experience - Skoda. Basically you get a VW, but cheaper and probably more reliable. Servicing costs are also low. Can't say much about mine, I bought 2016 Skoda Fabia in May, haven't had any problems since then and I have covered 25k kilometers, we get standart warranty of 5 years in Latvia.
I ordered mine with almost all extra's and paid 16 000 EUR (top of the range engine, sport pack, 17 inch alloys, fog lights, panormaic roof, rear and front parking sensors, in-built navigation, heated seats and other unneeded stuff). An equivalent of Fabia is VW Polo, which has alot smaller boot space and with all these extras would cost around 25 000 EUR here, basically you pay for the brand.

A few close friends of mine are driving Skoda's for a longer time, haven't heard almost anything bad about them in the past years. Though they have opted for Octavia, which isn't as cheap as Fabia, but the base models here start from 15 000 EUR.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 11:01 AM   #35170
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21246

I relative used to own SAAB vehicles, and was adamant these were the most reliable cars he'd ever driven (he's on his late 70s now, and was displeased last year when I last met him as he would not be able to buy new SAAB replacement to his old vehicle).
Old December 27th, 2016, 11:08 AM   #35171
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
My 2008 Peugeot 207 has had a lot of electrical problems. My collegue's 2014 Peugeot 408 SW spent more time in the workshop than on the road.
Conversely, I'm on my 7th Peugeot (a 308) and have never had a problem with any of them.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 11:13 AM   #35172
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
Conversely, I'm on my 7th Peugeot (a 308) and have never had a problem with any of them.
It depends on how much time. If you are on your 7th car in 10 years it is normal: you don't let your cars age.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 11:05 PM   #35173
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Funny temporary sign in Leeuwarden (Netherlands).

The sign reads 'dead end, crematorium accessible'.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Attus liked this post
Old December 28th, 2016, 10:33 AM   #35174
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
It depends on how much time. If you are on your 7th car in 10 years it is normal: you don't let your cars age.
I've had old and new cars over about 36 years. A beat up 504 was the first and lasted about 5 years running around Britain. The others have been a mixture of company vehicles that are changed every 3 years. During that time I've also had a BMW, Golf, Mini Metro and Citroen. No problems with any of them apart from the Metro (leaking bodywork) and the Golf which kept on blowing fuses.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 02:17 PM   #35175
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Similar to my family. My grandpa bought a Peugeot 404 about 50 years ago (and no, he wasn't a communist).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 02:01 AM   #35176
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITORIA MAN View Post
seat ibiza , 13 years without any problem ( 510.000 km )
Most reliable car on earth? Or simply your definition of "problem" is different...?

All cars have problems, some more than others, but it's normal when you see all the stress that a car have to face during his life...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 02:14 AM   #35177
winnipeg

Quote:
My 2010 Peugeot 207 worked fine during 5 years (110.000km) and then this year I had a broken turbo (800€ for repairing), but everything else is fine...That's bad, but when you read a lot of car magazines like me, you can actualy see that even the german and "premium" car brands have some cars series that are very often concerned with mechanical breakdown... this goes with the fact that those cars have combustion engines that are way too sensitive....

My next car will certainly be a EV (electric vehicule), because this is the best and only way to get a more reliable car and a trully greener car (no toxics emissions from the car), because now the range is becoming better and better (now even lowcost EV like Renault Zoe have more than 300km of range), and ideally it should also have a certain degree of autonomous driving, ideally it would be a Tesla because they are the best cars available now and they are much better than old cars by so many ways even if before the launch of the Model 3 (the cheapest Tesla) in 2017, they are still very expensive...
Old December 29th, 2016, 10:18 AM   #35178
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
My next car will certainly be a EV
[...]
ideally it would be a Tesla
[...]
they are still very expensive...
I was about to ask if you wanna travel from France to Romania with your future EV like you do now but I think you've already answered it

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 11:32 AM   #35179
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I was about to ask if you wanna travel from France to Romania with your future EV like you do now but I think you've already answered it
But it could be possible, even in Romania there is a network of EV chargers (mainly on some Kaufland supermarkets), you can go from Arad (near Hungary) to Constanta (Black sea) without any problem (linked to chargers at least... )...

I have done such roadtrips because I made this choice of going far away from my home... but 99% of car users are using their cars very near their home and they never go on such massive roadtrips, so for them (and for me, when I will no longer be in Romania), having an EV will no longer be an issue...

Anyway, when I talked about my "next car", it will not be in a near future but more in something like 4 or 5 years (when I will have stable situation and no longer be an "full unpaid student" like now... )

Last edited by winnipeg; December 29th, 2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old December 29th, 2016, 04:12 PM   #35180
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
I have done such roadtrips because I made this choice of going far away from my home... but 99% of car users are using their cars very near their home and they never go on such massive roadtrips, so for them (and for me, when I will no longer be in Romania), having an EV will no longer be an issue...
That's why I commented it. I don't think that you can make a France-Romania trip in one day with an EV like you currently do with your "old-fashioned" car.

I recently read that companies plan to extend the EV operating distance to > 500km. I think that's enough for about 95% of all car drivers.

However, there are still a lot of people who drive > 500km/day on a business trip. For instance, most of my colleagues do it. My maximum travel distance was 1,000km on just one day. Some colleagues travel to Italy and the travel time is similar by car or by plane. I don't think that traveling by plane is more eco-friendly.

And what's about trucks or vans, especially deliver vans?

Maybe we will only lease batteries one day? Driving till the battery is almost empty and take another one at a station? But this would mean, that the huge battery must be "simply plugged" only, not mounted like today...

It's still a long way...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways