daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2017, 12:00 AM   #35261
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I like my low driving position in my Focus. My dad tried it few days ago and said that he felt like 'his ass was touching the asphalt'.

This is too a personal preference and varies from person to person (it also depends on the person's size... if you are tall or short).
Apart from one, all the cars I've ever driven have been Clio-sized and I'm fairly tall. I don't mind it because it's what I'm used to but the one time I got to drive a larger and, more importantly, taller car (a Scenic) it felt amazing.

When I first bought my Clio when I was 17 I kept banging my head when I got in and out. That hasn't happened in years but I bet it'll happen tomorrow now I've said that.

I'm going back to Wales on Thursday after my Christmas break, but tomorrow I'm going to take my grandfather to see one of the Tesla showrooms they have in shopping centres here in London. I was talking to him about them and he's never heard of them at all.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2017, 12:24 AM   #35262
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Crazy, potentially homicidal, possibly drunk driver recorded on A22 near Bolzano, Italy

http://video.gelocal.it/nuovavenezia...6778?ref=fbfnv
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 12:52 AM   #35263
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6783

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Certificated garages in the Netherlands can be anything, from official dealerships to independent garages to repair shops. They are certificated by the department of motor vehicles and/or an organization called 'BOVAG'. In addition to being certificated, used cars over € 4,500 come with a six month warranty, regardless of age or if the original warranty has expired.

So if you're in the market for a used car in the Netherlands, these certificated garages are the place to go to. These are generally reputable businesses, though it is known that official dealerships are generally more expensive.

Of course you can buy cars at more shady businesses or directly from another person, but there are less guarantees. Most car sales in those circles are old cars with low value, I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for a recent model.
So you have a good situation, especially that those certified garages resell cars too.

In Poland you have two options - to buy a car from a reseller (which usually does nothing else, only resells second-hand cars) or from a private person. The resellers are usually not really fair, they often rewind odometers and do other scams. But there are also "hidden" resellers, buying cars and selling them as private persons, they are even worse. The best idea when you buy a second-hand car is to do it from a private person, because a private person will - most likely - not try to hide all the problems, or, at least, will not know how to hide them in a professional way (like washing the motor to hide leakages - someone unfamiliar will see a nice-looking engine and will like it, forgetting that normally there is absolutely no need to wash the motor in a car).

But... someone in my family was once going to buy a second-hand Mazda 2. The problem was... that all the offers on the Internet, from the whole Poland, were actually cars being imported from Germany. And even if they were described as "collisionless", they weren't truly collisionless, they had had some minor (according to the seller) collisions before.

This car is simply so good that nobody is selling it

The person ended up borrowing some more money from the family and buying a new Ford Fiesta. And up to now, for 6 years, it has been working without any problems. At all. Only regular oil changes and - a few days ago - a battery change, because it went totally dead (which is normal after 6 years).
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 10:30 AM   #35264
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
lol, it's so clear that you've never ever searched for a second-hand car. The previous car my parents got was the first one they visited, the current one as well, for the neighbours on my left is was the 2nd car they visited and for the neighbours on the right it was the first car they visited.
I could never do that. It would feel like I slacked and settled. I would never feel comfortable with such a choice.

Quote:
Whether it's a new or a tenth-hand car, always test-drive.
I agree with that.
I selected 5 car models and, before deciding, I will have a test drive of each.
Only, I am not that arrogant to think that a 30-minute drive will give me a thorough idea of what it's really like. I rely much more on professionals testing them, so I read a lot in car magazines.
But in the end, as almost usual, I will decide based on guts and sensations...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 10:34 AM   #35265
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Not every used car is a 10 year old one with 200,000 km on its odometer.
You are right, but just because in Italy you won't find any car with that mileage. Even 20-y-o cars almost never overcome the 100,000 km mark, because their odometer is tampered with.
Old January 4th, 2017, 10:47 AM   #35266
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
@Spinoza: you wrote in a previous post that your next car will be a suv/crossover (like Hyundai Tucson, Ford Kuga or similar). Why are you considering this type of car?
For several reasons.
First, I'm planning to start a family and I need space, but I don't like station wagons. I know that my dad used to travel with wife and 2 kids all across Italy on a tiny Fiat Ritmo, but times changed
Second, I like the style and the driving position.
Third, I occasionally do some mild off-roading: I scrape the bottom of my 207 all the time, even half of the front bumper came off.
Fourth, I drove a Ford Explorer as a rental car in the US and got positively surprised.

I briefly considered Mazda CX-5 (I travel a lot on motorways and CX-3 is too small), but I read that it's kind of noisy. Maybe I can test-drive it and see it for myself.
Old January 4th, 2017, 06:35 PM   #35267
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1821

If I'm buying a used car I most definitely prefer ones that were bought as new from Estonia. Sure, the roads here are worse than in Western Europe so the suspension components might've been under a bit more stress but at least I can research the car's history: all insurance cases connected to the car, service history (if done at the dealership), odometer readings at technical inspections.

This is where the US beats the EU by a country mile. There you can easily check any car's odometer history and whether the vehicle has been written off. In Europe it's easy to buy a car with 500,000 km from the Netherlands and sell it in Estonia with 180,000km on the clock (happened to a friend of mine. He found out the real odometer reading later on when e-mailing the original dealership in the Netherlands).

It's easy to buy a car that has been written off completely in an accident in Estonia, fix it up in Lithuania and sell it back to Estonia like nothing had ever happened to it (happens a lot).

Until an EU-wide database with odometer readings, insurance claims, service history etc is implemented, buying a used car that's been imported from a foreign country (which is the majority in many EE countries) will always remain a huge gamble. However, many EU countries would probably be very reluctant to implement such a system, e.g. Germany where selling used cars to EE is a huge business.

g.spinoza liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 06:43 PM   #35268
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
You are right, but just because in Italy you won't find any car with that mileage. Even 20-y-o cars almost never overcome the 100,000 km mark, because their odometer is tampered with.
Many used cars in Italy have either 98,000 or 99,000 km. It's like retaier prices ending in .99.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Kanadzie liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 07:30 PM   #35269
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

I like Mazda. They're not going with the turbocharged downsizing trend. I've read that the 2.0 L engines of Mazda get a good fuel mileage, whereas similar output turbocharged engines have inflated fuel efficiency figures on paper.

Mazda is one of the few brands in the Netherlands where the larger models sell better than the small ones.

The Dutch like crossover SUVs as well. It's one of the few larger cars still purchased brand new by consumers, mostly retirees who have a lot of money to spend. Nissan Qashqai and its Renault counterpart the Kadjar is the best-selling model in that segment.

Ssangyong is one of the worst selling (non luxury/performance) cars in the Netherlands, last year they sold 10. On the other hand Korean Hyundai and Kia are selling quite well.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 08:17 PM   #35270
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

The best driving position car I've driven last 5 years has been a Ford C-Max. I drove it only 3 days, I was in Italy, car had a problem, got a rental (diesel in that case) replacement. I do realize it is not everybody's cup of tea, though: you stay in a more upright position instead of the typical slouch common to many modern mid-size (and above) sedans or wagons.

This means if you don't have cruise control, your right feet might be in an uncomfortable position if you are driving long stretches of free-flowing highways... But the C-Max had cruise control.

It only lacked automatic transmission. I wish automatic transmission features became the standard offer on cheaper cars (not something you pay extra for).
Old January 4th, 2017, 08:34 PM   #35271
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Automatic transmission in small cars result in a relatively large weight gain and thus a higher fuel consumption. In countries where cars are taxed according to CO2, this usually results in a higher price, which is particularly pronounced with small cars.
Old January 4th, 2017, 08:41 PM   #35272
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
If I'm buying a used car I most definitely prefer ones that were bought as new from Estonia. Sure, the roads here are worse than in Western Europe so the suspension components might've been under a bit more stress but at least I can research the car's history: all insurance cases connected to the car, service history (if done at the dealership), odometer readings at technical inspections.
It's not a bad idea to buy a second-hand car from Germany, but only if you go to Germany on your own and buy the car there, and from a private person, not from a reseller.

In Poland, we have even businesses which take people to Germany, making a kind of car buying trip, which usually includes visiting some resellers.

It's still better than buying an imported car in Poland from someone who has imported it, and has probably hidden all the flaws of the car - but if I was going to buy a second-hand car from Germany, I would really do it personally from a private person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Until an EU-wide database with odometer readings, insurance claims, service history etc is implemented, buying a used car that's been imported from a foreign country (which is the majority in many EE countries) will always remain a huge gamble. However, many EU countries would probably be very reluctant to implement such a system, e.g. Germany where selling used cars to EE is a huge business.
Would making odometer rewinding impossible decrease the German second-hand cars export? Why?
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 09:07 PM   #35273
Suburbanist
on the road

Direct resale car market in Netherlands is small... except fort old cars like 1998 Clios.
Old January 4th, 2017, 09:14 PM   #35274
ChrisZwolle
Road user

German used cars have a good reputation in the Netherlands. They're known to be well-maintained by their owners. Of course we're talking about recent models (2-5 years old) and not some kind of 15 year old worn-out clunker.
Old January 4th, 2017, 09:26 PM   #35275
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Scandinavian deep freeze. Down to -42 °C in Kautokeino, Norway.
Old January 4th, 2017, 09:30 PM   #35276
Suburbanist
on the road

Couple years ago I read some 'horror stories' about Austrian customs issuing huge fines for Austrian citizens that had bought Swiss cars and not transferred them, or taken too long to do so. I'm not sure how large is the CH-F/D/I/A used market though. Diesel is more expensive then gas in CH and considerably cheaper than gas on surrounding countries.

Speaking of cross-border car ownership, the Dutch customs did a "stakeout" in one of the parking lots of a major employer here in my city. I live 15km from the Belgian border, many professionals live just across the border (lower taxes, easy to build your own custom-designed house with 80% less restriction than in Netherlands etc), but some do not live there, but drive Belgian-plated cars. That is technically illegal if done for more than 14 consecutive days (a Dutch resident driving an own car registered in other country). It is rumored they were fining some people trying to cheat the system (if you actually live in Belgium, you can drive BE car as must as wanted in NL).
Old January 4th, 2017, 09:35 PM   #35277
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
The Scandinavian deep freeze. Down to -42 °C in Kautokeino, Norway.
Does the Bothnia sea ever freeze enough to allow snowmobiles driving over ice between Umea and Vaasa? (theoretically if not for ice breakers)

Last edited by Suburbanist; January 4th, 2017 at 09:49 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 10:09 PM   #35278
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
but some do not live there, but drive Belgian-plated cars. That is technically illegal if done for more than 14 consecutive days (a Dutch resident driving an own car registered in other country). It is rumored they were fining some people trying to cheat the system (if you actually live in Belgium, you can drive BE car as must as wanted in NL).
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...s/index_en.htm

Quote:
If you move to another EU country (you intend to stay there over 6 months) and take your car with you, you will need to register it and pay any relevant fees and taxes in the new country. You must register your car as soon as possible and in any case not later than 6 months from your date of arrival.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 10:25 PM   #35279
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Automatic transmission in small cars result in a relatively large weight gain and thus a higher fuel consumption.
This is more or less history, and applies mainly to the traditional torque converter technology, except for the miniature models.

The modern dual-clutch gears are not substantially heavier than manual ones. Made a quick look at the Skoda Octavia factsheet. The DSG versions weigh 15-20 kg more but the published fuel consumption is less than in the manual version in several configurations. This is because a computer can optimize the gear use better than a human being. For VW Polo, the figures are almost the same for DSG and manual variants.

The past times' facts do not apply to the modern torque converters either. My C4 has the Aisin Warner ETG6 gearbox. It is an electronically controlled torque converter with clutches. The system locks certain rations, and the power is then transmitted over pure iron instead of the friction of oil. On paper, the consumption is slightly less than in the respective manual version.

According to the spokesman of VW, as a response to a question of Up! and DSG, there is a mismatch between the demand of automatic transmission at the miniature class and the projected development cost. As the projected sales volumes are quite low, the feature would not fit into to the price target scale.
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 10:33 PM   #35280
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

My choice of gearbox will never have to do anything with fuel consumption. Automatic is boring. Long live manual!

Tags
highways, motorways