daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2017, 10:57 AM   #35341
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
No person injuries reported. Two horses arriving at Stockholm on m/s Silja Symphony were reported to be in a bad condition.
Unfortunately, the horses died. These were expensive race horses, both worth at least € 200,000.

Apparently the door that was open for ventilation had closed in the storm. It's still hard to understand how that resulted in the death of these horses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
So apparently Europe is getting a very cold winter this year.. which is the opposite in Toronto. I've seen a bunch of pics of Greece and Croatia with snow, which is very unusual.
Europe is bigger than you think While Southern Europe has apparently ideed had some cold weathers with even snow in Greece, Northern Europe has had a rather mild winter. In Estonia November was actually colder than December(0.0C vs 0.8C).
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #35342
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Unfortunately, the horses died. These were expensive race horses, both worth at least € 200,000.
True. There is an ongoing debate about who is the guilty one. The shipping company says that the driver did not visit the car deck during the voyage to check if the horses have enough air, food and water.

Quote:
Apparently the door that was open for ventilation had closed in the storm. It's still hard to understand how that resulted in the death of these horses.
According to instructions for transporting horses in ferries, the good ventilation seems to be the number one thing. A horse gets stressed quite easily and it can die from stress.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 03:32 PM   #35343
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Not in Spain. However the Ebro valley has been covered in fog for most of December, resulting in a colder month than normal in the area.

Meanwhile forecasts have gone crazy, they are predicting a low of -23ºC for Sabiñanigo next Wednesday .
That is the sort of temperature I am expecting this time of year (albeit on the cold side, we usually get a few -20 days every year)! Today is a high of -3, with tempuratures supposed to rise as high as 8 next week.. I'm not complaining. Toronto is lucky to be located in a place where global warming essentially only means bigger rainstorms and warmer winters.. not that bad of a deal. Just sucks for the rest of the planet.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #35344
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

CFI

A CFI (Continuous Flow Intersection) in Orem, Utah.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

riiga liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2017, 07:55 PM   #35345
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Drunk snowman.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol, x-type, cinxxx liked this post
Old January 16th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #35346
ChrisZwolle
Road user

This guy had his rear fog lights on for no reason. But turned them off after a flash of light.

What are the rules in your country? Rear fog lights are only allowed if visibility drops below 50 meters (2 seconds at 100 km/h) in the Netherlands. And they may not be used in heavy rain.

There are no clear rules for front fog lights, other than 'poor visibility' due to rain, snow or fog.
Old January 16th, 2017, 05:21 PM   #35347
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What are the rules in your country? Rear fog lights are only allowed if visibility drops below 50 meters (2 seconds at 100 km/h) in the Netherlands. And they may not be used in heavy rain.
This is absurd. On the A9 near Nuremberg I was caught in a rain so heavy that you couldn't see a thing, so I turned on the fog lights, and this guy (a lot) behind me kept flashing me... I had literally no idea about what he wanted, I asked my colleague at work the day after and he told me. For me it was absolutely ridiculous.

Quote:
There are no clear rules for front fog lights, other than 'poor visibility' due to rain, snow or fog.
In Italy the rules states that in case of fog, snow or heavy rain, with visibility less than 50 m, the rear foglight MUST be on.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:12 PM   #35348
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, the Netherlands has porous asphalt on almost all motorways, which means that spray is very limited, even during heavy rainfall. You can easily spot the Belgians on the road, they're often the only ones who turn their rear fog lights on during rain.

Rear fog lights are very bright and the light reflects on the rainy windshield. This is very annoying for drivers behind the vehicle with rear fog lights on, even more so at night. Another problem is that some drivers perceive it as brake lights.
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:19 PM   #35349
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

I had never had the need to read Norwegian texts before, now I'm surprised how I can understand them relatively easy (the basic, not details) due to my knowledge of Dutch. I knew of course all these proto-Germanic languages have traits in common, but I thought commonalities would be less.

Good think I don't need to read stuff in Finnish though...
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:25 PM   #35350
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Well, the Netherlands has porous asphalt on almost all motorways, which means that spray is very limited, even during heavy rainfall. You can easily spot the Belgians on the road, they're often the only ones who turn their rear fog lights on during rain.

Rear fog lights are very bright and the light reflects on the rainy windshield. This is very annoying for drivers behind the vehicle with rear fog lights on, even more so at night. Another problem is that some drivers perceive it as brake lights.
I've never had any problems with someone in front of me having rear fog lights on, even at close distance: I think the trouble with them is greatly exagerated.

And only a moron can take them for brake lights.
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:38 PM   #35351
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Traffic is not static. Vehicles change lanes. In busy traffic, people have short following distances and attempt to look ahead by 2 or 3 vehicles to anticipate braking. When vehicles change lanes, a bright red light may suddenly become very visible, even from some distance away. In busy traffic, that can be enough to create a slowdown.
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:46 PM   #35352
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Of course, in heavy traffic rear fog lights should not be used. But I fail to see why I shouldn't use them on motorways with real heavy rain.
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:47 PM   #35353
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

here in HR nobody would understand the flashing. personaly only few times it worked, not as much as rear fog light, but when they have front fog lights behind me - then i turn on my rear one, ans they sometimes understand. but rarely. (i don't do it because before turning on rear fog lights i must turn on front, and i don't want to look like idiot).

the worst thing is that people don't understand that if you see soon enough other cars, there is no need for front fog lights, or if you see the car behind you, he already sees you and no need for rear fog lights.
Old January 16th, 2017, 08:55 PM   #35354
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebels...hte#Verwendung

It's only allowed to be used in Germany if visibility is less than 50m and the maximum speed is 50km/h. It's not allowed to be used if the reduced visibility is only caused by rain.

If it's illegally used, one could be fined by 20 €. If you endanger other people, the fine is 25 or 35 €.

Quote:
I've never had any problems with someone in front of me having rear fog lights on, even at close distance: I think the trouble with them is greatly exagerated.
It happened to me 2 weeks ago. The idiot had rear fog lamps on but there was no reduced visibility at all - well, it was at night / dark

I only drove ~1km behind the car and I've increase the distance. However, it didn't work. I couldn't focus on the street because the only thing I saw was this damn bright light. The lamp was on the left. I tried to focus my eyes to the right... It's dangerous...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 09:02 PM   #35355
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

What about rules for frontal fog lights?

Also, w.r.t. lighting: before LEDs became prominent, was it common in your countries for some drivers to replace normal halogen bulbs with "special" xenon lights that had a blue cue (and were annoying under rain for whomever was driving in the opposite direction)?
Old January 16th, 2017, 09:14 PM   #35356
MattiG

Quote:
What are the rules in your country?
Full of space for different interpretations. :-)

Basically, the fog lights may be used whenever there is a need to use them. Nowadays, not a big issue. Earlier, it was customary to switch rear ones on even on a bright night to show that I have a new car equipped with them. They are not sexy any more: thus no reason to use them without reason.

There still are problems, because of the cars broken as designed:

1) In the wintertime, there often is blowing snow hiding the car ahead. In those conditions, the front fog light is useless and possibly harmful but the rear one can save lives. However, the morons in the car factory planning departure most often make cars where you cannot switch the rear fog light on without switching the front ones on, too.

2) LEDs as rear lights. The bulbs create extra heat to keep the lamps visible at the blowing snow conditions. The LEDs do not.

Old January 16th, 2017, 09:17 PM   #35357
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

btw Peugeot 206 has one of the worst rear fog lights at all: very strong, quite high, central positioned
Old January 16th, 2017, 09:32 PM   #35358
MattiG

Quote:
Right. But the scenario of fog lights and brake lights both on is not always easily to be distinguished from fog lights on only. Yes, there is a minimum separation of 10 cm, but that is not very much.
Old January 17th, 2017, 03:15 PM   #35359
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Its illegal to use your rear fog lights in anything other than fog in Britain. I think the clue to when you're supposed to use them is in the name. Yet you still get arseholes driving with them switched on in heavy rain and when its dark. They should all be shot. It also appears to be vogue to drive with your front fog lights on all the time. The biggest offenders are Nissan Juke & Qashqai drivers. Again they should all be shot.

MichiH liked this post
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 10:24 PM   #35360
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
Its illegal to use your rear fog lights in anything other than fog in Britain. I think the clue to when you're supposed to use them is in the name. Yet you still get arseholes driving with them switched on in heavy rain and when its dark. They should all be shot. It also appears to be vogue to drive with your front fog lights on all the time. The biggest offenders are Nissan Juke & Qashqai drivers. Again they should all be shot.
Same here. I suppose the drivers are rather arrogant here in terms of front fog lights. Especially young drivers literally love to turn on all lights possible. It is kind of cool to have the front fog lights on.

On the other hand, the drivers are not able to evaluate the accuracy of rear fog light, though it is easy task. Just look in front of you and check it. If you see the driver in front of you, then the drivers behind you can see you too.

I experienced loads of situations when there was a sunny day with short precipitation making the road wet and leaving the cars impossible to be seen. Almost nobody turns the lights on. But when you are within a group of cars in a city driving at 30kph in dark and you are entering the slight mist, almost everyone will turn the fog light on.

And what makes me angry most are level crossings. Some drivers leave the low beams on while waiting for a train. There is usually a small slope before level crossing so it feels like high beams shining right into my eyes. Sometimes I get back at them turning my high beams and front fog lights on

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways