daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2017, 06:22 PM   #35381
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Snow on the beach in Torrevieja, Spain. Normally this area has very mild winters, the average January high is 16°C.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2017, 07:09 PM   #35382
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

A series of three M>5 earthquakes struck this morning Central Italy, the villages already hit by the quakes of August and October. A quarter of Abruzzo region population, more than 300,000 people has no electricity: the majority of them is already facing extreme cold and heavy snow fall (some villages had 1.5 m of snow in just few days).

The symbol picture is the one that shows the church tower of Amatrice, collapsed this morning after withstanding the previous quakes.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 07:15 PM   #35383
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Snow on the beach in Torrevieja, Spain. Normally this area has very mild winters, the average January high is 16°C.
Meanwhile no snow here, just cold . Benasque has hit a low of -17°C.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 07:35 PM   #35384
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

I have some good friends in Camerino, they are quite exhausted from this active earthquake cycle. None has been injured, but the whole thing is scary. At least they live in a modern house with much better seismic resistance. The buildings they work are at very old though.
Old January 18th, 2017, 09:23 PM   #35385
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

It's crazy how many earthquakes there are in Italy recently. I could no more sleep relaxed in that region. :-/
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 09:47 PM   #35386
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Our local supermarket displayed today a warning about a potential reduced availability of vegetables because of the weather in Spain and Italy.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 10:35 PM   #35387
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Our local supermarket displayed today a warning about a potential reduced availability of vegetables because of the weather in Spain and Italy.
Even here, zucchini reached an all time high of 6 €/kg... it's five times the prices of 2 months ago
Old January 18th, 2017, 11:10 PM   #35388
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Supermarkets in the Netherlands are also running out of spinach due to the poor harvest in Spain, they say.

Spanish greenhouses are different from those found in the Netherlands. In the Netherlands, these are glass frame greenhouses, in Spain they are often just plastic with incomplete coverage to create a real indoor greenhouse environment. This leaves it more exposed to weather.

The infamous 'Mar de plástico' (sea of plastic) west of Almería. It measures 30 kilometers across.

Glass sea (Westland), Netherlands.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

piotr71 liked this post
Old January 18th, 2017, 11:38 PM   #35389
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Even here, zucchini reached an all time high of 6 €/kg... it's five times the prices of 2 months ago
christ, does somebody buy them with that price? there is no zucchini that i would overpay that much nor there is such meal that would require zuccchini that much to overpay them so.

Kanadzie liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 11:45 PM   #35390
Suburbanist
on the road

@chriszwolle: the Atlas of Urban expansion picked Zwolle as one of its 200 global representative cities. There is a lot of data there, for instance, that the % of new roads having width <4m exploded since 2000.

http://www.atlasofurbanexpansion.org/cities/view/Zwolle
Old January 19th, 2017, 10:32 AM   #35391
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
christ, does somebody buy them with that price? there is no zucchini that i would overpay that much nor there is such meal that would require zuccchini that much to overpay them so.
Sometime in autumn I bought lemons for 7 €/kg (I've noticed that only later at the cashier)
About a week ago I noticed zuchhini selling for 4 €/kg. And I see that vegetables section in my supermarket is missing some usual products, like romaine lettuce.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 10:37 AM   #35392
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Not me for sure... I ended up leaving with just half a leek
Old January 19th, 2017, 06:47 PM   #35393
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Sometime in autumn I bought lemons for 7 €/kg (I've noticed that only later at the cashier)
About a week ago I noticed zuchhini selling for 4 €/kg. And I see that vegetables section in my supermarket is missing some usual products, like romaine lettuce.
yeah, lemons are really extremly variable. in the highest season you can find them for 1€ for kilo, and in autumn they are 6-7 times more expensive.
Old January 19th, 2017, 06:50 PM   #35394
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Zucchini, I had to look up what it meant We call it a Courgette. I had a salad with Courgette for dinner just now.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

x-type liked this post
Old January 19th, 2017, 07:14 PM   #35395
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Zucchini has Italian origin (is called zucchina in Italian), courgette has French origin. Apartently, in English there's no native word for it, so both words are used.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 07:34 PM   #35396
Suburbanist
on the road

A hotel near a town I've visit couple years ago in central Italy has been hit by a severe avalanche and around 30 guests and staff are dead or missing

So eery looking at the pics of the town nearby.

source: La Repubblica
Old January 19th, 2017, 07:37 PM   #35397
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

calabacín in spanish
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 08:43 PM   #35398
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Zucchini, I had to look up what it meant We call it a Courgette. I had a salad with Courgette for dinner just now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Zucchini has Italian origin (is called zucchina in Italian), courgette has French origin. Apartently, in English there's no native word for it, so both words are used.
I never heard the word "courgette": during my studies of English (and watching movies and TV shows) I always encountered zucchini, so I thought it was the only word used in English.

There are a lot of Italian words passed onto English regarding food. I always was fascinated by the fact that some of them changed their meaning in the process. For instance, "pepperoni" comes from Italian "peperone", but it means "pepper"; "confetti" in Italian is a kind of sugared almond; "latte" in Italian is simply "milk".
Old January 19th, 2017, 08:59 PM   #35399
ChrisZwolle
Road user

According to Wikipedia:

In the United States, Australia and Germany, the plant is commonly called a zucchini

The name courgette is a French loan word, the diminutive of courge, "gourd, marrow", and is commonly used in France, Belgium and other Francophone areas, and in the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, the Netherlands and South Africa.

The Dutch language has a large number of French loanwords.
Old January 19th, 2017, 10:30 PM   #35400
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

As already stated by vitoriaman, zucchini/courgette is called calabacín in Spanish (I didn't remember if it was that or berenjena, which is aubergine or eggplant), literally "little pumpkin", and indeed it is the same species as pumpkins.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways