daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2017, 11:13 PM   #35401
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

We call it (or something similar to it) "dovlecel" which literally is diminutive of pumpkin (dovleac)
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2017, 12:36 AM   #35402
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Also the Italian zucchina is the diminutive of pumpkin (zucca).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 01:01 AM   #35403
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4010

Same in Serbian, pumpkin is "tikva" and zucchini is "tikvica", deminutive of "tikva".
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 02:08 AM   #35404
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
According to Wikipedia:

In the United States, Australia and Germany, the plant is commonly called a zucchini

The name courgette is a French loan word, the diminutive of courge, "gourd, marrow", and is commonly used in France, Belgium and other Francophone areas, and in the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, the Netherlands and South Africa.

The Dutch language has a large number of French loanwords.
Mergpompoen is the Dutch word. But hardly anyone uses that word anymore. Courge means Merg in French and Courgette is just the diminutive of courge.
Old January 20th, 2017, 02:31 AM   #35405
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

something similar happened in England
they always call eggplant "aubergine" from the French

but Americans still use the English word...
Old January 20th, 2017, 07:20 AM   #35406
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Given the issue: what is the difference between vegetable and fruit? And which one is tomato? :-)

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 10:19 AM   #35407
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Given the issue: what is the difference between vegetable and fruit? And which one is tomato? :-)
Vegetables are healthy and fruits taste good. :-)

Tomato is a vegetable, even if someone says it is a fruit.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 10:24 AM   #35408
MattiG

Meanwhile in Finland.

A not-so-serious web publication metropoli.net published a news:

The headline translated: These are the most popular dog breeds in Finland.

The left dog is huge. I wonder if anyone has a flat tall enough for it.

Attus liked this post

Last edited by MattiG; January 20th, 2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old January 20th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #35409
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Vegetables are healthy and fruits taste good. :-)

Tomato is a vegetable, even if someone says it is a fruit.
I've read a study about vegetables vs. fruits issue and it concluded that vegetables are all edible parts of a plant (root, leaves,cane, etc.) except fruits (in botanical matter of fact). Tomato is technically a fruit so it is fruit after all

But children here are also taught that tomato is a vegetable.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 07:33 PM   #35410
MattiG

Quote:
I've read a study about vegetables vs. fruits issue and it concluded that vegetables are all edible parts of a plant (root, leaves,cane, etc.) except fruits (in botanical matter of fact). Tomato is technically a fruit so it is fruit after all

But children here are also taught that tomato is a vegetable.
The kitchen view and the botanical taxonomy view differ a lot. Botanically, a cucumber is a fruit, a strawberry is a vegetable, and banana, chili, and watermelon are berries.

In the everyday life, I would prefer the kitchen view.
Old January 20th, 2017, 07:47 PM   #35411
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Sweden passed the 10 million inhabitants mark today.

http://www.scb.se/sv_/Om-SCB/Nyheter...t-10-miljoner/
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 12:04 AM   #35412
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

Quote:
Fruit is something that grows on a plant and the reason the plant grows it is to provide seeds. And it's no longer a flower (it's already fertilized).

Vegetable is something you use to prepare meals, especially proper lunch/dinner meals, those which are not sweet.

It's more of a matter of agreement whether something is a vegetable, but whether something is a fruit - it's clearly defined.

So tomato will be both fruit and vegetable.

Potato is a vegetable, but not a fruit - the potato plant grows it in the ground (although it's not root) and uses it to store some nutritious substances.

Broccoli is a vegetable, but not a fruit - because what you eat is actually a flower.

Apple is a fruit only. Probably there are some non-sweet meals which can include apples - but this is a matter of agreement.

At least it is so in Poland. There are differences between countries. For example, in Poland, the Polish term meaning diary includes not only milky products, but also eggs - but from what I know, in English-speaking countries it doesn't include eggs.

Talking about the fog lights: in Poland it's not obligatory to use them at all. You are obliged to have rear fog lights, you don't have to have front fog lights. You are allowed to use the front fog lights whenever the visibility is reduced by any atmospheric conditions like fog or rain (you are obliged to use either front fog lights, or the "short" headlights). In the case of the rear fog lights, you are allowed to use them only if the visibility is below 50 m.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 12:26 AM   #35413
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Zucchini at 8€/kg over there.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 01:17 AM   #35414
Kpc21

I was in a supermarket today and I could have a look at the prices, but I didn't come to an idea of checking the price of zucchini...

What I can check is the wholesale price: http://www.fresh-market.pl/ceny/ceny...owych/warszawa

For zucchini it's 23-25 zł/kg, which is about 5,5 euro.

For comparison, the wholesale price of apples shown there is 1 zł up to 1.33 zł/kg for most types. I bought apples today on a local market and I paid 1.5 zł/kg and the prices were from 1 zł to 2 zł/kg (25 to 50 cent), depending on the type and the seller.

Of course, the price of apples in Poland is not influenced by farming problems in southern Europe, but it's anyway interesting - because when I was in Germany, apples cost there more than bananas. No idea, why they are so expensive there.
Old January 21st, 2017, 01:56 AM   #35415
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Zucchini at 8€/kg over there.
And? Even without considering the poor weather, we are in the middle of winter so we are totaly off season for this vegetable and nobody should really consume them (off season vegetables are a disaster, they have to be cultivated on heated greenhouses at a very high energy cost, and in term of nutrition they are less rich in nutrients than the one from the right season... ).

If the "carbon cost" of those off season vegetable was right, during the winter, they should alway be at that price... but unfortunatly fossil fuels are still too cheap and overused without consideration even with the actual knowledge of the environmental change/disaster that we are already experiencing today...

MichiH liked this post
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 02:15 AM   #35416
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post

Of course, the price of apples in Poland is not influenced by farming problems in southern Europe, but it's anyway interesting - because when I was in Germany, apples cost there more than bananas. No idea, why they are so expensive there.
Of course, it has nothing to see with the actual weather, those apples are stored into warehouses since september-october, and for the conventional apples, they (sadly) receive a lot of treatments and preservative, and especially one (named "smartfresh") which enable them to store the apples during 12 months and they still look the same 1 year after... so that's why you find those apples on markets during all the year (and why they are not affected at all with current weather)...

But those treatments are dangerous for your own health, not only because of the treatments who interact in your body with others chemicals in a way that we don't really know yet (ie : endocrine disruptors), but also after many months of storage, even if the apple still looks the same because the treatment stopped the aging process of the apple, on the inside the apple is "empty", they have lost most of the good nutrients (like polyphenols, antioxidants, vitamins), after 1 month of storage they already loose 25% of those nutrients and the decrease continue constantly during the following months untill there's almost no nutrients in it...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 02:38 AM   #35417
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

that's why apple should be consumed in the traditional preservation method at this time of year... cider

winnipeg liked this post
Kanadzie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 11:03 AM   #35418
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Sweden passed the 10 million inhabitants mark today.

http://www.scb.se/sv_/Om-SCB/Nyheter...t-10-miljoner/
i was following that thing too, and i was quite amazed when i recently realized that some countries like Portugal, Belgium, Greece, Czechia, even Hungary had more inhabitants than Sweden. that was really deep hole in my geography knowledge (which I'm proud of actually )
Old January 21st, 2017, 01:43 PM   #35419
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Norway is about to overtake Finland in population
Old January 21st, 2017, 04:59 PM   #35420
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Of course, it has nothing to see with the actual weather, those apples are stored into warehouses since september-october, and for the conventional apples, they (sadly) receive a lot of treatments and preservative, and especially one (named "smartfresh") which enable them to store the apples during 12 months and they still look the same 1 year after... so that's why you find those apples on markets during all the year (and why they are not affected at all with current weather)...
I don't think you are right... The apples which are not damaged in any way e.g. by insects, not rotten and which have no bruises, can be stored for winter in a standard home cellar.

Tags
highways, motorways