daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2017, 12:50 AM   #35641
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I've heard of Stari Grad, but what about Zadar? Isn't it very old as well?
similar as Pula. there was settlement Iadera probably older than Pharos itself, but no written proves. (if we would consider those settlments valid, then Vinkovci would take the victory)

Verso liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2017, 01:22 AM   #35642
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I don't think there need to be written proofs, but I doubt Vinkovci has been continuously inhabited for 8,000 years. Emona (Roman Ljubljana) was established in year 15 (54 years before Poetovio), but it was later abandoned, so modern Ljubljana was first mentioned in 1144 (although Wikipedia says 1112-1125). I wonder about Zadar though.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 12:07 PM   #35643
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
similar as Pula. there was settlement Iadera probably older than Pharos itself, but no written proves. (if we would consider those settlments valid, then Vinkovci would take the victory)
Since I know romanian, it's no longer possible for me to not find the name of this city funny....
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #35644
Verso
Islander

When will Pula be twinned with Fuсking?

bogdymol, winnipeg, cinxxx liked this post
Old February 20th, 2017, 03:34 PM   #35645
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._cities#Europe

In Italy Rome was founded on 753 B.C., although Messina and Cagliari may be older (they are both from 8th century B.C.).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Verso liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 03:36 PM   #35646
italystf

Quote:
There is another Pula in Sardinia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pula,_Sardinia

BTW, I wonder if Romanian tourists do buy these souvenirs...

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

winnipeg liked this post

Last edited by italystf; February 20th, 2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old February 20th, 2017, 04:49 PM   #35647
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
I knew you replaced the c with a cyrillic с (es), since that village suffers from the Scunthorpe problem here. Anyway, that f***ing village is not a municipality, so the twinnig would have to be with Tarsdorf. But somehow I see more fitting a twinning of Pula with Polla, Italy.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #35648
Verso
Islander

Similarly, you can't write the Slovenian town "Šmartno ob Pаki" (Šmartno on Paka (river)) with only Latin letters (I had to use the Cyrillic "a"), because "Pаki" is a derogatory term for a Pakistani.
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:08 PM   #35649
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Paki.

No issue for me
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:13 PM   #35650
italystf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_(slur)

They say that it's a derogatory term used in the UK to refer to people from Indian subcontinent. I think it's probably very offensive for Indians to be grouped with Pakistani.
EDIT: It also censores the Wikipedia link.

Another censored word is 'nigg-ardly', that means 'miserly', but it turns into *****rdly on SSC because it contains the racial slur.

AsHalt, winnipeg liked this post
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:24 PM   #35651
italystf

Google search autocomplete also censores anything related with sexuality or racism, when you type something.
This leads to bizzarre results: for example it doesn't give any suggestions if you type 'Montenegro', because it contains the racial slur.
In the Italian version, it doesn't give suggestions if you type 'Troia' (the ancient Greek city or the modern village in Apulia), because in Italian it means 'sl*t' or 'wh*re'.

winnipeg liked this post
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:39 PM   #35652
CNGL
Leudimin

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Paki.

No issue for me
That still gets censored in the mobile app, as it ignores the text size tags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%61ki_(slur%29

They say that it's a derogatory term used in the UK to refer to people from Indian subcontinent. I think it's probably very offensive for Indians to be grouped with Pakistani.

Another censored word is 'nigg-ardly', that means 'miserly', but it turns into *****rdly on SSC because it contains the racial slur.
You can still get the correct link by replacing a letter with its unicode pointer, like the fix I've done to your link. I first tested this with the Austrian village. Oh, and always replace ) with %29, as otherwise it's not included in the link.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Kpc21 liked this post
Old February 20th, 2017, 06:26 PM   #35653
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
I don't think there need to be written proofs, but I doubt Vinkovci has been continuously inhabited for 8,000 years. Emona (Roman Ljubljana) was established in year 15 (54 years before Poetovio), but it was later abandoned, so modern Ljubljana was first mentioned in 1144 (although Wikipedia says 1112-1125). I wonder about Zadar though.
Zadar and Pula were definitely first urban settlements, or cities. this what was in Vinkovci was a colony. it is little bit hard to imagine settlments from those times, but i am having imagination of those colonies as collection of cottages, something like Smurfs' village

but Zadar and Pula were definitely the oldest urban settlements, so cities. in Pula there were found archaeological sites (you can see one part near Porta d'Oro in city centre). in Zadar they say that the ruins of old city are 3 metres deep under today's surface.

Verso liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 06:36 PM   #35654
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_(slur)

This should be also considered when it comes to censoring
http://i.imgur.com/l6HJE7c.jpg

I would add some more:
"Nice country, Czechoslovakia"
"I like Slovenian Alps"
"You do have hot tap water, don't you?"

winnipeg, AsHalt liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 07:17 PM   #35655
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

My father inlaw has just changed the VERY old oil heating system out with a new heatpump. His house is 120 m2. The cost of installation and everything was DKK 100 000 and he got a 50' TV from Panasonic with in the deal. It is a lot of money though.
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 07:27 PM   #35656
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Italy: I love pasta with ketchup

Funny thing, a Slovak expat I meet here was surprised when he came here and found out Italians don't like pasta with ketchup.
Old February 20th, 2017, 07:48 PM   #35657
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

For Romance-languages speaking people who think Dutch city names are right next to Finnish and Basque in the list of strange ones

Old February 20th, 2017, 08:32 PM   #35658
italystf

I think Polish, Hungarian, and Welsh names are the most difficult in Europe to spell and pronounce.

winnipeg liked this post
Old February 20th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #35659
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Italy: I love pasta with ketchup

Funny thing, a Slovak expat I meet here was surprised when he came here and found out Italians don't like pasta with ketchup.
I must admit that I did not know that before I'd first time seen that picture either If you have pasta here, there is a strong possibility it will be with ketchup.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 09:43 PM   #35660
CNGL
Leudimin

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post

I would add some more:
"Nice country, Czechoslovakia"
"I like Slovenian Alps"
"You do have hot tap water, don't you?"
I'd add "Gibraltar español" for the UK. My dad once asked me where in England is Scotland .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
For Romance-languages speaking people who think Dutch city names are right next to Finnish and Basque in the list of strange ones
Actually Basque place names aren't that strange. I concur with italystf in that Polish and Welsh placenames are the hardest in both spelling and pronounciation, to the point I think the Polish city named Lodz should be called "Woodge" in English to match its local pronounciation.

Tags
highways, motorways