daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #35821
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Jump a freeway with a dirtbike

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:56 PM   #35822
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6779

What languages do the radio stations in your countries play songs in? I am talking especially about those most popular stations, playing pop, not niche ones, specialized, for example, in rock or other genres.

In Poland, they play mostly English and Polish songs (talking about languages, not about the countries of origin). Rarely French and Spanish. Sometimes Polish pop performers have songs in languages other than Polish or English, like this one, supposedly in Ukrainian, but it's rather rare - then Polish radios will also play them.

Today, I heard a German pop hit (this one) on a Polish radio station, and I was really happy like that, I like German songs and you don't hear them at all in Poland. Although it wasn't a commercial station, it was a public regional (though state-funded) radio. The speaker/presenter/moderator/host (however you call him in English, I have no idea) admitted that German may sound melodic too

Previously, I heard a few times a song in German on a rock-oriented station, but it's different.

I don't know. Even Germans claim that German is not really a good language to sing in, you hear more English songs than German ones on German radio stations - but I actually like the songs in German. I don't know why.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:18 PM   #35823
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

In Romania besides Romanian you will hear songs in English of course, but also Spanish, Italian, French
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:35 PM   #35824
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

They play mostly English-language music in the Netherlands, some radio stations almost exclusively. Of course many stations also play Dutch-language music.

Other languages are pretty rare. French chansons are popular among some of the older public but is rarely - if ever - played on mainstream stations. German schlager can sometimes be heard on regional radio stations in the east but it is a niche.

Evidently this song was voted as the most popular German-language song. It's fairly well-known in the Netherlands (not so much among people younger than 40). It reached #1 in the Netherlands in 1990.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kpc21 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:52 PM   #35825
Kpc21

Nice song, I like it. Although I hear it for the first time.

In Poland you hear Spanish, French, Italian songs, but it's rather rare. It's more or less 50% Polish and 50% English. There is also a station playing only Polish songs.

But what I notice in Germany is that their radio stations usually don't have any music background for the news. The most popular one in Poland tells the news with a very characteristic background tune:

This one is short because it's a special edition due to the terrorist attack in Munich (it's easier to find such a special one than a normal one), but they always try to keep it possibly short anyway.

Another example from a popular station (news starts at 5:45):

But the public stations keep a more traditional form - the First Channel of our state radio (news starts at 2:35):

You can here samples of news on different radio stations in Poland here:

It's typical that the commercial stations have a background tune for the news and the public ones do not (except for the shortcut of all the news at the beginning).

Last edited by Kpc21; March 7th, 2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:59 PM   #35826
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Other languages are pretty rare. French chansons are popular among some of the older public but is rarely - if ever - played on mainstream stations.
Someone like Stromae or Maitre Gims could get played on Dutch mainstream radio. I know they played expecially Stromae a lot in the past, don't know if they still do though.

I mainly listen to Russian EDM internet radio (Radio Record Megamix) where I've heard a whole range of languages including English, Russian, French, German and Spanish. But it's not exactly (understatement) mainstream.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 07:42 PM   #35827
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

In Italy, besides Italian and English, Spanish is the third most popular language of broadcasted songs (Alvaro Soler, Enrique Iglesias,..).
Highly-popular songs in other languages are rather rare, with some notable exceptions like Maitre Gims (French), Ai se eu te pego! (Portuguese) and Dragostea din tei (Romanian).
I can't think of any very popular song there in a non-English Germanic language or Slavic language.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 08:02 PM   #35828
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
]Dragostea din tei (Romanian).]
Yeah, it was popular once in Poland too.

From other mainstream songs in "weird" languages, which were ones among the top songs in Poland:

- in German (really rare case in Poland):

- in Russian:

Old March 7th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #35829
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I can't think of any very popular song there in a non-English Germanic language or Slavic language.

g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:12 PM   #35830
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
What languages do the radio stations in your countries play songs in? I am talking especially about those most popular stations, playing pop, not niche ones, specialized, for example, in rock or other genres.

In Poland, they play mostly English and Polish songs (talking about languages, not about the countries of origin). Rarely French and Spanish. Sometimes Polish pop performers have songs in languages other than Polish or English, like this one, supposedly in Ukrainian, but it's rather rare - then Polish radios will also play them.

Today, I heard a German pop hit (this one) on a Polish radio station, and I was really happy like that, I like German songs and you don't hear them at all in Poland. Although it wasn't a commercial station, it was a public regional (though state-funded) radio. The speaker/presenter/moderator/host (however you call him in English, I have no idea) admitted that German may sound melodic too

Previously, I heard a few times a song in German on a rock-oriented station, but it's different.

I don't know. Even Germans claim that German is not really a good language to sing in, you hear more English songs than German ones on German radio stations - but I actually like the songs in German. I don't know why.
Croatian, English, Italian, occasionaly Spanish and French.

a month or two ago i noticed Polish song on one Croatian radio, but in English (Margaret is singer)

Kpc21 liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:32 PM   #35831
Ices77

Likes (Received): 867

In Slovakia besides Slovak and Czech music, both contemoprary and past, is English without any doubt the pop and rock music language number one in radios here as well.
Occasionally can be heard hits in French, Russian, Italian and German, but it is more like exception.

Btw, something from my list, Aleš Brychta, Lidi jsou lidi (People are people):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zehOLBoF350
Ices77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #35832
Kpc21

We had two entries on the Eurovision Song Contest (by the same band) with multilingual songs. In the first of them, the main language was... German:

They weren't really successful - the first one with the 7th place (second best for as though until now), the second one the 11th in the semi-final, failed to qualify to the final.

The best one (2nd place, our first entry ever) was sung in Polish:

The third best one (from the previous year) was in English:

Margaret was trying to qualify to the ESC the previous year, but she failed with Michał Szpak. And I don't mind - she is too commercial and she wouldn't probably bring us such a good result.
Old March 8th, 2017, 12:06 AM   #35833
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

In Spain it's mostly Spanish and English, other languages are rare, but I remember several Portuguese songs and at least a French one. Oh, and Dragostea Din Tei (Romanian) and Gangnam Style (Korean ).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 12:12 AM   #35834
Kpc21

I don't really remember Gangnam Style on the radio, it was more of an Internet hit.

But the popularity of Dragostea Din Dai came in the before-Internet times.

Some of our radio stations (not the most popular ones) play also sometimes a Polish-specific genre of pop/disco music called disco polo. A sample of it, which was actually quite good as it got even to the most popular stations, is this song:

Although the disco polo songs are usually considered really unambitious (although actually English pop songs sometimes have less ambitious lyrics, or two German ones mentioned by me earlier in this thread too) and typical rather for village weddings.

This music was especially popular in the 90's but recently one can see a kind of renaissance of this genre. It's not so mainstream as before, it's considered rather a shame to listen to something like that, but actually quite many people listen to that, we have even a music TV station playing such music.

One of the most popular disco polo songs from the 90's:

Last edited by Kpc21; March 8th, 2017 at 12:22 AM.
Old March 8th, 2017, 01:14 AM   #35835
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Yesterday I stopped at a rest area on the Slovenian A4 motorway and they played Turkish music. On top of that, the rest area was full of the Japanese, and I accidently went into the female toilet.

Kpc21 liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 01:31 AM   #35836
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

I love when people who don't know about my multiple citizenships and the places I've lived before make all sorts of assumptions about myself (food I should like, weather I must enjoy), only to be amused when they eventually realize I fit neither the stereotypes nor the categories they had mentally assigned me to
Old March 8th, 2017, 02:18 AM   #35837
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I was listening to an "independent" radio station driving home, they play music from Japan for about 1 hour at that time.

They played this

Generally in Canada there are English stations playing English music and French stations playing mostly french music with some English and occasionally other languages (especially the state broadcaster who aims for more "refined" listeners)
I much enjoy to listen to other languages, the variety makes life more pleasant
Old March 8th, 2017, 08:17 AM   #35838
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
In Spain it's mostly Spanish and English, other languages are rare, but I remember several Portuguese songs and at least a French one. Oh, and Dragostea Din Tei (Romanian) and Gangnam Style (Korean ).
AFAIK O-zone were Moldavians

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 08:38 AM   #35839
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

But they sang the song in Romanian.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 09:14 AM   #35840
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
AFAIK O-zone were Moldavians
True, but the language is the same and he wrote about languages, not nations.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways