daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2017, 11:20 AM   #35861
bogdymol
bogdymod

I have a small laptop with touch screen. Yesterday I have noticed that I cannot scroll down with my finger on the screen, like on every other website.

edit: now it works
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Last edited by bogdymol; March 11th, 2017 at 12:37 PM.
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2017, 12:07 PM   #35862
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Typical Suburbanist statement. Who cares about global warming as long as we can drive over mountain passes.
A couple of days warmer than usual don't necessarly imply global warming.
To define global warming, is necessary to analize and compare statistical data collected in a long time.
I'm not denying that the problem of GM exists, of course, but I made a precisation.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2017, 03:14 PM   #35863
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Global warming is a fact, not something I made up in the last few warmer days.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2017, 03:16 PM   #35864
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Geez, I just said this season road passes will open sooner. I made no statement on global warming or on the folly of taking one single season climatology as proof or counterproof of anything.
Old March 11th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #35865
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Relax, it was just a joke.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #35866
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6770

By the way, how do your countries react to the last political events in the EU, that means, reelection of Donald Tusk as the president of European Council?

Polish state TV reacted in a very funny way:

"The choice of Donald Tusk to be a success of Germany"

Kanadzie liked this post
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2017, 05:35 PM   #35867
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7679

Like the appointment of Soviet apparatchiks. THat's what Europan Union increasingly resembles.
CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2017, 05:53 PM   #35868
Suburbanist
on the road

Donald Tusk was voted in by 27 EU country delegations, which are established, each one, by their own democratic government. Poland voted against. It did so entirely for domestic policy reasons.

Kpc21 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2017, 06:32 PM   #35869
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

it's such an odd situation

But I'm not sure if it is more strange that Poland opposes Tusk, or that the "convention" is for a country to always support their countryman in a nationalistic way, instead of being truly "European".

but the whole thing is such cheap politics
Old March 11th, 2017, 06:41 PM   #35870
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2107

European institutions have so little power that it won't matter at all
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2017, 07:15 PM   #35871
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1749

EU needs a reconstruction. Without fascists, xenophobes, radicals, but without current left-welcomers either. People, who want to build a reasonable alliance of sovereign, well-developed countries.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #35872
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
By the way, how do your countries react to the last political events in the EU, that means, reelection of Donald Tusk as the president of European Council?

Polish state TV reacted in a very funny way:

"The choice of Donald Tusk to be a success of Germany"

There has been some discussion about how much it would cost to send Poland back to the other side of the Iron curtain or to sell it to Kazakstan. Thus, some degree of irritation.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2017, 08:56 PM   #35873
Suburbanist
on the road

The greatest achievements of EU are on the economic front, and keeping its members from severely damaging each other while greater dangers and threats and challenges lurk outside (Russia, China, Middle East etc).

I am moving to Norway this summer, and I realized online shopping throughout EU will be much more cumbersome. Need to get a VAT invoice, then pay a 110NOK processing fee, pay Norwegian VAT and request reimbursement of EU-VAT to Norwegian customs. At least all of that can be done online. I rely heavily on online shopping and EU-wide competition means prices in a relatively small country like Netherlands are kept in check by everpresent threat of retailers from Germany or UK.

italystf liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2017, 09:35 PM   #35874
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
But I'm not sure if it is more strange that Poland opposes Tusk, or that the "convention" is for a country to always support their countryman in a nationalistic way, instead of being truly "European".
If all the EU members but Poland voted for a Polish candidate, they actually were truly "European".

And... if it was actually so that each country would support their countryman, then - I don't know if all the votes are equal or they have weights, but in the first situation, nobody would be chosen.

It's sad that our government maintains such "low-level" thinking and is not able to go beyond the internal divisions and disputes... But what can we do about that? Now, I just feel ashamed of the government of my country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The greatest achievements of EU are on the economic front, and keeping its members from severely damaging each other while greater dangers and threats and challenges lurk outside (Russia, China, Middle East etc).
I fully agree.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2017, 01:20 AM   #35875
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

I am moving to Norway this summer, and I realized online shopping throughout EU will be much more cumbersome. Need to get a VAT invoice, then pay a 110NOK processing fee, pay Norwegian VAT and request reimbursement of EU-VAT to Norwegian customs. At least all of that can be done online. I rely heavily on online shopping and EU-wide competition means prices in a relatively small country like Netherlands are kept in check by everpresent threat of retailers from Germany or UK.
I think that also EU legislations aimed to improve food safety, environmental standards, free market competition, consumer's rights, and transparency in public administration, were great achievements of EU.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old March 12th, 2017, 11:00 PM   #35876
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I think that also EU legislations aimed to improve food safety, environmental standards, free market competition, consumer's rights, and transparency in public administration, were great achievements of EU.
From an Italian point of view, EU food regulations are not that good. They made us change the name of a centuries old wine (Tocai) because there is another, completely different, with a vaguely similar name in Hungary; they forbade production and selling of traditional cheese like casu marzu for unspecified health hazards; they constantly rejected proposals for controlling the origin of ingredients, with the result that I can buy a "made in Italy" olive oil bottle with olives coming from Spain or Tunisia.
I am proud of being European, but I really hope that this Union falls apart. It is a failure in every possible way.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2017, 11:46 PM   #35877
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
True. Still the EU has taken an exaggerated number of actions to regulate things that do not need Europe-wide regulation. This irritates people more and more. That makes the brexit a logical move. Unfortunately, the people in the ivory tower in Brussels do not want to look at the mirror but try to make UK evil, and preferably to punish it.

I am sure that 80 per cent of the existing regulations and directives could be canceled without any harm and we still had a working EU bringing benefits to the citizens. I am sure this will not happen, and that is why I am sure there will be no EU after 50 years. During the history, all oversize complacent organizations have collapsed after reaching the point were the value is less than the price. Examples: Ancient Egypt, Roman Empire, Austro-Hungarian Empire, League of Nations, Soviet Union, Yugoslavia, the Ottoman Empire.

italystf, AsHalt liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 12:15 AM   #35878
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1749

Like everything else, the EU has its timeline with the rises and falls too. For me, the fall of the EU started with unfortunate Irish referendum in 2008 concerning the Lisbon Treaty. It means, the EU was at its bests in 2007.

I partially work with the EU funds now, not on the site of beneficiaries but on the side of managing authority and I see how many useless regulations and limitation the EU makes up.

It is really like in the joke about different establishments compared to breeding cows. AFAIK EU democracy was described like having a pair of cows, the one will be hand over to other country with senseless subsidies and the other was milked till its death and its milk was then spilled into a river.

All of this under the cover of an overly false and hypocritical political correctness pretending to be the United states of Europe. I wish the old (pre-2008) could be brought back.

Kanadzie liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 01:31 AM   #35879
italystf

I like the idea of EU, but not a shift towards something like the 'United States of Europe'.
I think EU integration should stop somewhen, before getting too intrusive in internal matters.

There are some ideals EU should actively pursue: human rights, civil liberties, transparency, free competition, health, and environmental preservation.
Any field that is not related to these, should better be left to national states, instead of EU, to prevent EU being seen as too overkill, thus increasing euroscepticism.
It's better to have an EU limited to regulate the basics, but widely accepted by its population, rather than an EU who regulates everything, but perceived as an enemy by large parts of population. In the first case, it will probably survive forever, in the latter, countries will likely vote to get out, cancelling also positive sides of EU.

Moreover, EU should not harm national or local traditions, but preserve them instead, unless they are plain violations of basic principles like human rights, civil liberties, transparency, free competition, health, and environmental preservation.

For example, forcing countries to change well-established historical brands, because they are too similar with other brands in other countries is ridiculous and overkill.
Forcing countries to respect health, hygiene, and labelling standards in food production is acceptable, instead.

Kpc21, AsHalt liked this post
Old March 13th, 2017, 01:35 AM   #35880
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
From an Italian point of view, EU food regulations are not that good. They made us change the name of a centuries old wine (Tocai) because there is another, completely different, with a vaguely similar name in Hungary; they forbade production and selling of traditional cheese like casu marzu for unspecified health hazards; they constantly rejected proposals for controlling the origin of ingredients, with the result that I can buy a "made in Italy" olive oil bottle with olives coming from Spain or Tunisia.
That's because Italy had already very advanced laws in food matters. It wasn't probably the case in other countries.

In other fields, like market competition, environment, and transparency, Italian legislation improved a lot since the 1980s, due to the obligation of adopting EU directives and regulations.

Tags
highways, motorways