daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2017, 04:25 AM   #35881
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

what about enforcement of those laws by the Italian authorities?
Especially during "anni di piombo" I kind of suspect enforcement of food-safety or whatever was not very strict.

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2017, 05:35 AM   #35882
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21245

Certain foods might be traditional, but are inherently unsafe, and used to cause several cases of hospitalization or worse. It is good to have a supranational body trampling some weird tradition in the name of objective safety standards in a few cases.
Old March 13th, 2017, 08:17 AM   #35883
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Then tell me, why don't we have the unified traffic rules yet?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 09:24 AM   #35884
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Then tell me, why don't we have the unified traffic rules yet?
We have. The harmonizing body is by purpose not the EU but the UN. The harmonization instrument is the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, and the respective set of rules on traffic signs.

The Vienna Convention is like an EU directive: Each country creates their own legislation on top of it, and the interpretations vary. Still, the degree of harmonization is very high. Wherever you drive, the rules are about the same.

The one-size-fits-all approach is not valid for traffic rules either. For instance, the Nordics apply a few rules valid in areas where the roads are covered by ice and snow for six months a year. Such rules would be just unnecessary in the Mediterranean area.

AsHalt, Rebasepoiss liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 12:43 PM   #35885
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Certain foods might be traditional, but are inherently unsafe, and used to cause several cases of hospitalization or worse. It is good to have a supranational body trampling some weird tradition in the name of objective safety standards in a few cases.
Why should I rely on a Scandinavian, or English, or Bulgarian guy who tells me what I can or cannot eat? Food culture is a lot different in these countries. I am prepared to listen to whatever anyone tells me for whatever matter, but not food. If some food has to be regulated, or blocked, it must be coming from the Italian government.

(and then Tocai and Tokaj... I still call the Italian wine Tocai, I don't care at all what Hungarians say)
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 01:38 PM   #35886
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Would you care if Grana Padano or Gorgonzola would be produced much cheaper elsewhere, like in Romania?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 01:42 PM   #35887
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

What many of you seem to forget is that a single market of goods, services and people in principle creates the need for loads of regulations. If a single country wants to regulate a the production or sale of a product for example, then it has to happen EU wide even if it's an unimportant issue to most other EU countries.

That being said, there are still loads of areas where EU member states have the freedom to choose how they want to regulate things in their own country.

What's more, many beliefs about EU regulations are actually myths, often created by the UK media (surprise-surprise). There's even an EC we page dedicated to debunking EU myths: http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/...ths-a-z-index/
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 01:57 PM   #35888
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Would you care if Grana Padano or Gorgonzola would be produced much cheaper elsewhere, like in Romania?
Tocai and Tokaj are both high quality wines with an history. Nobody copied anybody.

Prove that in Romania they produce Grana Padano since 1400 and I won't oppose it.
Old March 13th, 2017, 03:11 PM   #35889
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

So much fuss for nothing.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #35890
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21245

Intellectual property and geographic branding protection issues are not a product of European Union. There are some contentious (if not much consequential) issues involving different countries not in the EU. It is an issue insofar there is plenty of trade and a more integrated global society around.

Saying that the EU should collapse because of a wine designation or whether one insect/worm made cheese fell through regulatory hurdles is quite a petty thing.

Rebasepoiss liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 05:42 PM   #35891
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
What many of you seem to forget is that a single market of goods, services and people in principle creates the need for loads of regulations. If a single country wants to regulate a the production or sale of a product for example, then it has to happen EU wide even if it's an unimportant issue to most other EU countries.
I do not believe that anyone forgets this. Of course, the EU internal market needs harmonization to some degree. But the current flow of new regulations is just overwhelming. More and more effort is paid to regulate smaller and smaller things.

I made a quick glance at the EU legislation database. For example, the word "wine" is mentioned in 4594 regulations. Cucumbers are mentioned in 1126 regulations or directives. Strawberries are less sexy than cucumbers in Brussels: 835 hits only.

You might know that by an EU regulation, the sales of toasters to North Korea is restricted. The same applies to baby scales.

The regulation text of the provision of food information to consumers consists of 60 pages: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...744834&from=EN The matter is important, of course, but the need for that detailed regulation is questionable.

italystf liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 08:17 PM   #35892
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
I do not believe that anyone forgets this. Of course, the EU internal market needs harmonization to some degree. But the current flow of new regulations is just overwhelming. More and more effort is paid to regulate smaller and smaller things.

I made a quick glance at the EU legislation database. For example, the word "wine" is mentioned in 4594 regulations. Cucumbers are mentioned in 1126 regulations or directives. Strawberries are less sexy than cucumbers in Brussels: 835 hits only.

You might know that by an EU regulation, the sales of toasters to North Korea is restricted. The same applies to baby scales.

The regulation text of the provision of food information to consumers consists of 60 pages: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...744834&from=EN The matter is important, of course, but the need for that detailed regulation is questionable.
Don't forget the bananas curve radius.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Kpc21 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 08:23 PM   #35893
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Saying that the EU should collapse because of a wine designation or whether one insect/worm made cheese fell through regulatory hurdles is quite a petty thing.
You say that because The Netherlands are not exactly a food country.
In Italy this is deadly serious. Lots of people work in this industry.

I'd like to see your reactions if they start to make a fuss about flowers, or anything else the Netherlands produce.

(by the way, I didn't say I want EU to collapse. I said I want THIS EU to collapse).
Old March 13th, 2017, 08:27 PM   #35894
italystf

Some long-established traditional Italian wines like Fragolino or Clinto have been banned by the EU with the pretext that they contain too much methanol. There are no clear scientific evidences that those wines are harmful, so many thinks that they were banned to advantage producers of other wines. In fact, Austria is still allowed to legally sell Uhudler, that is practically the same of Italian Fragolino.
The 'Fragolino' you can buy legally in shops is not real Fragolino, but another wine mixed with artificial flavours (!) to resemble the real, banned, Fragolino.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

g.spinoza liked this post
Old March 13th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #35895
italystf

Some fields where I would like to see more EU regulation:
- banning food addittives suspected of being harmuf, in the respect of precaution principle (it will mostly affect industrialized junk food, not traditional local foods)
- banning factory farming where animals are kept in terrible conditions in very small cages
- banning agricultural pesticides unless absolutely necessary
- using biodegradable packaging instead of plastic where is possible
- introducing a deposit for beverage bottles to reuse them
Old March 13th, 2017, 08:52 PM   #35896
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
You say that because The Netherlands are not exactly a food country.
The Netherlands is the second largest exporter of agricultural products in the world (€ 81 billion).

I guess one's life must be pretty perfect if the biggest issue is the name of a wine on the market.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Attus, Kanadzie liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 10:20 PM   #35897
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Netherlands is the second largest exporter of agricultural products in the world (€ 81 billion).
Yes, loads of people lining up outside Dutch restaurants around the world.

Quote:
I guess one's life must be pretty perfect if the biggest issue is the name of a wine on the market.
See? You cannot even begin to fathom how important food is, if you make this bad jokes.
Old March 13th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #35898
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The food chain is quite a bit more than restaurant dining.
Old March 13th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #35899
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The argument 'we have worse problems that...' doesn't automatically mean that an aparently-unimportant thing is right.
Abolishing consolidated traditional brand names by an external authority is simply plain wrong.

g.spinoza liked this post
Old March 13th, 2017, 11:35 PM   #35900
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Okay, I couldn't imagine this being such a huge deal

Tags
highways, motorways