daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2017, 08:49 PM   #35941
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
If you want to see what happens in absence of that, take a look at vehicles exempt from these rules, such as express van delivery services.
Until a couple of years ago we had a forumer (now banned) who knew that thing well.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2017, 11:31 PM   #35942
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6778

In Poland, apart from the police, which is centrally managed and subordinate to the Ministry of Internal Affairs, a city or a municipality may introduce so called "city guard" or "municipal guard", which is also a kind of police (although not officially called police). They are things the police is allowed to do and the city guard is not, their purpose is rather dealing with little offences, like illegal parking, littering or drinking alcohol in public places. Their permissions are limited with respect to those of the police. And they are subordinate to the municipality, not to the state.

Up to not a long time ago - the beginning of 2016, from, if I am not mistaken, 2003 - the municipal guards could control the speed of the drivers by means of speed cameras. And it was frequently abused. Many municipalities were creating municipal guards... only in order to bring extra income to the municipal budget, by means of installing a speed camera. Very often not in a place were speeding would actually cause a danger, for example, for pedestrians, but in the places where there was actually no real reason for a speed limit or for a built-up area, where nobody would expect it, so that they could gather much money from the fines.

Fortunately, someone has finally noticed that and gave it an end. Apart from that, a law was introduced that all the speed cameras must be painted yellow so that they are well visible and no dummy speed cameras are allowed. While I can understand the regulation that the cameras should be visible - then the focus is about making the drivers actually slow down and increasing safety instead of catching as many of them as possible speeding to bring money from speeding tickets - I don't understand the ban on dummy cameras. It was sometimes so that a local police division had a single speed camera devices which was being moved between a few different enclosures installed in different places - and it worked well. Now, it's not allowed.

Concerning the tolerance, for speed cameras it's 10 km/h. For manual devices - from what I know, there is no tolerance. Which is not so good since the radar speed meters used by the police are not always very precise. I some models, it is possible to measure... the speed of the cooler fan instead of the speed of the car by using it improperly. Especially one model of radar meter used by Polish police is known for that - Iskra 1, by a Russian company Simicon. There have already been court cases won by the drivers accused of speeding, when the speeding was detected using this unreliable device - most popular one in the Polish police.

The tickets are as follows:
- exceeding the allowed speed by 6 to 10 km/h: 50 zł and 1 penalty point
- 11 to 20 km/h: 50 zł to 100 zł and 2 penalty points
- 21 to 30 km/h: 100 zł to 200 zł and 4 penalty points
- 31 to 40 km/h: 200 zł to 300 zł and 6 penalty points
- 41 to 50 km/h: 300 zł to 400 zł and 8 penalty points
- from 51 km/h: 400 zł to 500 zł and 10 penalty points + losing the driving license for 3 months (only in built-up area)

1 euro is about 4,3 zł.

The maximum number of penalty points is 24. After exceeding it, the driver is directed to a re-education course, which has to be done within 6 weeks after receiving a notification. If it's done, the penalty points are zeroed, if not, he loses the driving license. If 24 points are reached again within 5 years, he also loses the driving license.

To the end of 2016, the penalty points were disappearing after a year, reaching 24 points meant a lose of the license, by it was possible to cancel some points by doing an extra driving safety course.

The penalty points are, of course, not only for speeding. For example, you get 6 points for causing a car crash, 10 points for drinking and driving, 10 points for overpassing a car which stopped in front of a zebra crossing, 6 points for ignoring a red light, 4 points for not wearing a helmet on a motorbike or seat belts in a car (the driver gets points also for the passengers).

Kanadzie liked this post
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 10:40 AM   #35943
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

LANE DISCIPLINE!
And the idiot of the month is ... (source)
Quote:
Driver gives WA Police bad excuse for driving in right-hand lane

IT is a thought that surely must run through the mind of every Perth driver caught behind a right-hand lane hog: Where are the police when you need them?

Well, the boys and girls in blue have shown they are willing to act and weed out those who stubbornly refuse to move over for passing traffic.

Just don’t expect the offenders to fully grasp the traffic flow ramification of their inertia.

A post to WA Police Traffic on Twitter showed the driver of a Holden sedan was caught on Tonkin Highway last week.

They copped a $50 fine and their licence was docked two demerit points, but not before giving police their excuse: “I was driving in the lane I always do.”
I know several guys in France that would give this kind of excuse. Lane indiscipline issues are much worse in France than in Poland, Lithuania; the U.K. .... Especially when you drive around the Paris or Lille areas!

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 12:30 PM   #35944
MajKeR_
¡La Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9104

God bless the Netherlands!

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 04:29 PM   #35945
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

The lorry driver did nothing wrong. In Britain lorries can overtake another lorry in the outside lane if there's only two lanes. If there are three or more lanes then lorries aren't permitted to use the outside lane but can use the others for overtaking. The max speed limit for HGVs is now 60mph which does make a noticable difference.

The moron in the Civic should be banned from driving for at least one year.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 07:43 PM   #35946
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I think people commented on the duration of the overtaking (2 minutes), not the overtaking movement per se.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 09:04 PM   #35947
Kpc21

Was it actually a truck? I can't read the car model on the ticket, but it seems it was issued just for using the left right lane although the right left (it's Australia, they drive on the left) one was free.
Old March 16th, 2017, 11:38 PM   #35948
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

What about drivers that drive on motorway so slowly (usually on a busy motorway) that buses and even truck have to overtake them? I often see those. In my opinion car drivers should drive at least as fast as trucks (that is 90 km/h) except if motorway has difficult alignment or in bad weather. If this is too fast for them they should use parallel road.

Sentilj, Kpc21 liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 12:34 AM   #35949
Kpc21

Trucks are allowed to drive no more than 80 km/h. At least in Poland. So driving 80 should be OK.

Driving much slower is just dangerous.
Old March 17th, 2017, 12:39 AM   #35950
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Trucks are allowed to drive 80 in pretty much all of Europe (UK as the most notable exception) but the limiter can't be higher than 90km/h. So trucks will usually drive into the limiter unless the company they drive for sets a lower speed limit for their drivers (not actually limited, but will get reprimanded if they exceed the limit often).
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 01:17 AM   #35951
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

UK is the only country in Europe where trucks (or lorries, as they say) are allowed to drive faster than 90 km/h (96 km/h or 60 mph in their case).

Most European countries don't allow for more than 80 km/h for trucks on any road, some allow 90 km/h on motorways (France).

I think Estonia and Slovakia are the only countries where trucks are allowed 90 km/h even on single carriageways but correct me if I'm wrong.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 01:19 AM   #35952
Kpc21

True, but theoretically if you drive 80 in a truck, nobody should be angry at you. And theoretically (probably in some countries also practically) you can be fined for driving 90.

Both issues are rather not the case in Poland. It's not uncommon to drive even 90 (for any cars) in places like this: https://goo.gl/maps/ehay7Zw4PqK2 (it's inside a built-up area, even though exactly here it may not look like that - but it's not without reason, this area is actually built up, although not very densly, and sometimes you meet pedestrians walking to reach the bus stops), although 50 is allowed there, unless there is a police control ahead.

I drive there maybe not 90 km/h, but normally more then 50, together with the whole column of cars on the road. Although when I happen to have someone driving 50 in front of me - it's OK, I accept that and I have respect to that someone actually obeys the regulations; I do not overpass him.
Old March 17th, 2017, 01:28 AM   #35953
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2110

Greetings from Sarajevo!
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 08:25 AM   #35954
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
I think Estonia and Slovakia are the only countries where trucks are allowed 90 km/h even on single carriageways but correct me if I'm wrong.
Right. The intention was to prevent all vehicles from overtaking. Like if a lorry drives at 90 kph and the passenger car too, there is no reason to overtake.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:13 AM   #35955
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

In England and Wales, 'the national speed limits for HGVs over 7.5 tonnes, travelling on a single carriageway increased from 40mph to 50mph.' I've found it quite annoying to be honest, especially here in Wales where the roads are bendy and the overtaking opportunities few and far between. I now find myself slown down as before in the bendy bits, but now it's harder to overtake where it's possible.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:40 AM   #35956
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Differential truck speed limits are interesting. In North America they were once common but have generally been abolished as pointless or negative.
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:45 AM   #35957
Kpc21

What do you mean as differential limits? You mean a different limit for trucks and buses and a different one for personal cars?
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:54 AM   #35958
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Sweden allows 90 km/h on some single carriageways (and all motorways).
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 07:41 AM   #35959
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
What do you mean as differential limits? You mean a different limit for trucks and buses and a different one for personal cars?
That's right, in Canada for example I think all such differences have been eliminated, and in the US, it is relatively rare but some exceptions, like Michigan.

That said, the best motorway in Canada would have a speed limit of 100, 110 or one exception, 120 km/h so it is more holding everyone back instead of letting the trucks run fast
Old March 19th, 2017, 11:14 AM   #35960
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

The German truck speed limit is 60 km/h unless it's a four-lane divided highway. In France it's also 60 km/h but it doesn't appear to be enforced much.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways