daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 19th, 2017, 03:34 PM   #35961
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

In Poland it's 70 on single carriageways and 80 on all other roads. With an exception for buses fulfilling extra technical requirements, for which the limit is 100.

And when the allowed speed in a built-up area is increased from the standard 50 to 60 or 70 with a road sign, then it doesn't apply to trucks and buses.

And we have one of the highest speed limits on motorways - 140 km/h. I think only in Germany it's higher.

By the way - it's quite interesting that it's legal to produce and sell cars allowing to move with speeds like 200 km/h easily and they are permitted to be used on public roads, although there is probably only one country in the world where driving with such speeds is legal on some roads.

(yes, this sign is overinformative, they should limit the amount of information on it)

By the way - when there are four lanes on the road, two in each direction, but they are not divided with a physical barrier (or a lane of ground/grass/whatever), the road counts as a single carriageway.

Last edited by Kpc21; March 19th, 2017 at 03:43 PM.
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2017, 03:45 PM   #35962
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Slubice. I spent a rather drunken afternoon there in January this year. The amount of tobacco shops put Adinkerke to shame. Never seen someone fishing through ice with a swan in attendance before either.

Kpc21, Kanadzie, MajKeR_ liked this post
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:57 PM   #35963
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Funny moment. Let's post what could we imagine being a H&A post in the year 2050.

For example: "Discussions about the Messina strait fixed link. Bridge or tunnel?"
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 12:21 AM   #35964
bogdymol
bogdymod

"Today the last section of the motorway linking Bucharest with the European motorway network has been opened to traffic.

Works on Bucharest motorway ring road have started.

Romania and Bulgaria have finally joined Schengen area.

German A8 east of Munich has been completely expanded to 3 lanes per direction. "

etc...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

cinxxx liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 01:56 AM   #35965
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

I guess no Dutch motorway discussions since the Netherlands would be mostly underwater .

Now more seriously: "Final motorway link in Western Kazakhstan opens to traffic. One can now drive from Lisbon to Beijing only on motorways".

We had a similar thread over on AARoads a few years ago.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 07:28 PM   #35966
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
"Today the last section of the motorway linking Bucharest with the European motorway network has been opened to traffic.

Works on Bucharest motorway ring road have started.

Romania and Bulgaria have finally joined Schengen area.

German A8 east of Munich has been completely expanded to 3 lanes per direction. "

etc...
Bucharest will be linked to occidental Europe in 2030 with all the current corruption and delays...

I believed them when they promised that in 2016/2017 we would be able to travel from Hungary to Sibiu/Cluj/Oradea...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 11:38 PM   #35967
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

My new car

bogdymol, Attus, Kpc21, Suburbanist, makaveli6 and 6 others liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 12:20 AM   #35968
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
It is strange to see higher speed limit in urban area in the night. Probably only case in the world.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 01:00 AM   #35969
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

Originally, it was 60 km/h. It was changed to 50 km/h during the day from 1 May 2004.

Originally - meaning from 1997, when the current road laws were introduced. I will try to check how it was in the previous versions.

So... in the original version of the previous road laws, introduced in 1983, the allowed speeds were:
- 60 km/h in urban areas
- 90 km/h for cars and motorcycles out of urban areas
- 70 km/h for trucks and buses out of urban areas
- 110 km/h for cars on motorways
- 90 km/h for buses on motorways

I will try to go back further...

So the next "Act on the safety and order of traffic on public roads" dates back to 1961. It doesn't mention any speed limits, but there are resolutions (executive acts) to it - so the speeds weren't decided about by the parliament (it was so from 1983), but by the government.

So, the proper resolution was issued in 1962. The limits were:
- 50 km/h in urban areas
- 70 km/h for buses and trucks
I cannot see any speed limit for cars out of urban areas.

There are also some interesting entries:
- 40 km/h for vehicles pulling more than one trailer (for a car pulling a single trailer, the same speed as for trucks applies, and it valid until now, but pulling more than one trailer is no longer allowed - maybe there is an exception for tractors, I am not sure)
- motor vehicles with full rubber tires - 25 km/h in urban areas and 40 km/h out of them

So I will try to look for when the speed limit for cars out of urban areas and on motorways was introduced.

So... the last resolution to the act from 1961, dating for 1979, introduces the following limits out of urban areas:
- 90 km/h for cars
- 70 km/h for motorcycles

No special speed limit for motorways. I guess the condition of the only motorways we had in those times (from the German border to Szczecin and to Wrocław, built by Nazi Germany) was not really good. And the first really Polish motorway (from Kraków to Upper Silesia - a part of the current A4) was still under construction (opened in 1983). It's not weird that only the law issued in 1983 establishes an increased speed limit on motorways

Let's look for even earlier versions of the Polish highway code.

So... before the act from 1961, the law from... 1921 was still valid. It was organized in a similar way as now. The parliament act was very short and almost all the rules were established by the ministry. The first resolution to this act, which established the speed limits, was from 1922.

The speed limits in Poland in those early times of cars were:
- 25 km/h for trucks (a border between a car and a truck was 3 t, 500 km less than now) out of urban areas
- 25 km/h for cars in urban areas
- 15 km/h for trucks in urban areas

And some curiosities:
- 10 km/h on roads intersections, curves, during fog and glaze and on steep or slippery roads
- 6 km/h on wooden bridges longer then 20 m

When did those limits become more civilized? I will try to find.

The resolution from 1928.

For a truck (the threshold weight becomes 3500 kg, same as now):
- on metal wheels without tires: 15 km/h
- on full rubber tires: 25 km/h
- on "hollowed" rubber tires (whatever it means - I am not sure if it's about pneumatic tires or something else): 40 km/h

For a truck in urban areas:
- on metal wheels without tires: 10 km/h
- on full rubber tires: 15 km/h
- on "hollowed" rubber tires: 20 km/h

For a car in urban areas: 40 km/h

On bridges with a warning sign:
- for a truck: 10 km/h
- for a car: 20 km/h

So.... concerning cars, we are close to the current situation!

The resolution from 1933.

Buses:
- with full rubber tires: 40 km/h
- with pneumatic tires: 60 km/h

Trucks:
- without tires: 10 km/h
- with full rubber and semi-pneumatic tires: 40 km/h [20 km/h in urban areas] (does anyone know what the semi-pneumatic tires were?)
- with pneumatic tires: 50 km/h

Cars in urban areas: 40 km/h

On bridges with a warning sign:
- for a truck: 10 km/h
- for a car: 20 km/h

The automotive industry must have been developing very fast in those times, so that the law had to be changed so frequently to catch up!

Year 1937. The limits - basically the same, just slightly reorganized in editing. The last road traffic resolution before the WW2.

In urban areas:
- vehicles on full rubber or semi-pneumatic tires: 20 km/h
- vehicles on pneumatic tires: 40 km/h

Out of urban areas:
- trucks on full rubber or semi-pneumatic tires: 40 km/h
- trucks on pneumatic tires and buses: 60 km/h

Motor vehicles without tires: 10 km/h.

Those limits were valid quite long - until 1960. Then, a changing resolution was issued, and the speed limits were established as follows:

In urban areas: 50 km/h

Out of urban areas:
- buses and trucks above 2,5 t: 70 km/h

So... they are not different from the limits valid from 1961, with the new road traffic act.

What I can also check is what was before 1921 - but I suppose, there was nothing. The Polish country was just recreated 3 years before. Probably, if any road law was applied before, this was the law of the country which was occupying the specific area of Poland in the years 1795-1918 - for lack of any other law concerning this topic.

Kanadzie liked this post

Last edited by Kpc21; March 22nd, 2017 at 02:20 AM.
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 03:10 AM   #35970
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Auris 2015? Nice one!

(Even if in my opinion the whole car is a bit "boring", the design is getting old and it is lacking a clear ligh signature with LEDs.... and the interior is not so good, it's getting old... but that's only my opinion... )
Old March 22nd, 2017, 01:13 PM   #35971
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Auris 2015? Nice one!

(Even if in my opinion the whole car is a bit "boring", the design is getting old and it is lacking a clear ligh signature with LEDs.... and the interior is not so good, it's getting old... but that's only my opinion... )
The car is obviously not flawless and you nailed it regarding the leds. It resembles old cars getting their daytime lights installed additionally. Too close to each other and just boring rectangles. On the other hands I like the interior. Indeed I have seen numerous complains about the interior, but I don't consider it ugly. Yeah it is not made up by white leather, but I can survive.😊

winnipeg liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:19 PM   #35972
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Now more seriously: "Final motorway link in Western Kazakhstan opens to traffic. One can now drive from Lisbon to Beijing only on motorways".
But PRC will still refuse foreign driving license
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:23 PM   #35973
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Bucharest will be linked to occidental Europe in 2030 with all the current corruption and delays...
I guess that building a motorway across the Carpathian range won't be an easy and cheap task...
Old March 22nd, 2017, 07:39 PM   #35974
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

nice colour @volodaaa
Old March 22nd, 2017, 07:44 PM   #35975
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

I like the Auris. A second-hand 2015 model with a station wagon configuration sells from € 16,000 in the Netherlands. Is it a hybrid?

I drove a 2016 Kia Rio this week as a rental car due to some 3rd party damage repairs on my own car. I did not quite like it, the center console has an annoying edge where your knee rests on while driving. The dashboard reflection in sunny weather is also ridiculous, to the point you're going to miss details along the road around you.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 09:08 PM   #35976
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
due to some 3rd party damage repairs on my own car.
What happened?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 11:22 PM   #35977
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

A neighbor opened his car door a bit too quickly, putting a substantial dent in my car door. Insurance took care of it
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:24 AM   #35978
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
The car is obviously not flawless and you nailed it regarding the leds. It resembles old cars getting their daytime lights installed additionally. Too close to each other and just boring rectangles. On the other hands I like the interior. Indeed I have seen numerous complains about the interior, but I don't consider it ugly. Yeah it is not made up by white leather, but I can survive.😊

What matters the most is that you were aware of this when buying the car, and if it's fine for you then it's fine for everyone, most people won't even know/notice you car...

About the interior, since Peugeot launched the 3008 with the "iCockpit", every other interior looks old and boring...
Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:33 AM   #35979
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I guess that building a motorway across the Carpathian range won't be an easy and cheap task...
The task is difficult but what is even more difficult is the corrupted politics, the corrupted or bad companies selected for contracts because they lied about the price of the contract and built a highway of lower quality than what was asked (that's why a part of the romanian A1 had to be closed and demolished only few month after the initial opening...) and not mentioning the other parts that had to be repaired also very soon after opening....

And I don't mention how bad most of national roads are curently... No, I'm very pessimistic with what is going on with romanian infrastructures... of they build a decent network that is still working by 2025-2030 it would be a miracle...
Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:45 AM   #35980
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Today I was in Assen (here in the Netherlands). People there have a strong accent, but that accent is actually easier to catch as a a non-native in Germanic languages.

Tags
highways, motorways