daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 23rd, 2017, 08:13 AM   #35981
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I like the Auris. A second-hand 2015 model with a station wagon configuration sells from € 16,000 in the Netherlands. Is it a hybrid?

I drove a 2016 Kia Rio this week as a rental car due to some 3rd party damage repairs on my own car. I did not quite like it, the center console has an annoying edge where your knee rests on while driving. The dashboard reflection in sunny weather is also ridiculous, to the point you're going to miss details along the road around you.
I don't know, but it could be. A brand new full equipment hybrid costs here approximately 23.000 €. I've got a 1,6 petrol engine and there was a special offer at the end of 2016 for brand new 2016 models that (with middle equipment and a 1,6 petrol engine) costed 16.000 €. Hybrids are generally 5.000 € more expensive.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2017, 01:14 PM   #35982
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9116

Why have you blurred some part of license plate? I guess you would not be met and recognized by any of us.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 01:32 PM   #35983
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
But PRC will still refuse foreign driving license
Well, anything can happen in the next 33 years.

Also, over at AARoads forum we have a thread about threads one will never see there. It contains things ranging from construction threads about cancelled motorways freeways to just plain nonsense ("Egyptian goddess changes name due to Islamic State"). It also contains several ones that have since come true, like "Chicago Cubs wins World Series" (Posted in 2013, they managed to do so last year after more than a century). I once went so far, I'm still amazed I didn't get banned.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 03:19 PM   #35984
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

AdBlue

A new diesel scandal is emerging across Europe, the manipulation of AdBlue / Diesel Exhaust Fluid.

AdBlue is a fluid that is inserted into the exhaust of diesel engines, mostly trucks, but also some passenger cars. It cleans the exhaust so it can conform to the latest Euro emission standards. Without AdBlue, it would be as dirty as a 1990s truck.

However AdBlue cost money, reportedly the operating cost is around € 1000 - 2000 per year per truck. Eastern European trucks increasingly use devices that manipulate the engine management system, so it thinks the system is operating as it should, while in reality no AdBlue is consumed. This means they pay a lower toll rate in some countries than they should, and of course they pollute more.

The German ZDF reported on it earlier this year. The Polish police is aware of it and also checks trucks for AdBlue manipulation. The Norwegian police also checks foreign trucks for manipulation when entering the country, and they detect an increasing amount of AdBlue manipulation.

The device looks like this:
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 05:22 PM   #35985
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

The whole car/trucks industry is a fraud, let's hope it will push forward Tesla and their cars (and future trucks)...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 11:17 PM   #35986
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Welcome to Switzerland Gypsytown.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 02:51 AM   #35987
bogdymol
bogdymod

That is light compared to what you can sometimes find in Romania.

Greetings from the smallest country in the European Union.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

winnipeg liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #35988
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

The European Commissioner for Transport, Mrs. Bulc from Slovenia, was interviewed by a German national newspaper. She said that that it's planned to introduce an EU toll system. A legislative proposal should be published in May. Goal: "Driver should be able to drive all European roads without stopping" ("Autofahrer sollten künftig alle Straßen in Europa nutzen können, ohne anhalten zu müssen"). No sticker, no toll booth but a single electronic toll system. Toll rates should depend on pollutant emission and mileage driven. She hopes it could be effective by 2030.

Source in German: https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/artic...er-Europa.html (published 8:05AM CET, I guess it will be available in other languages "soon").

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 12:41 PM   #35989
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Welcome to Switzerland Gypsytown.
Renault Megane? no, not happenning here. Mercedes is must have with such property.

bogdymol, Kanadzie liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 12:56 PM   #35990
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The European Commissioner for Transport, Mrs. Bulc from Slovenia, was interviewed by a German national newspaper. She said that that it's planned to introduce an EU toll system. (...) She hopes it could be effective by 2030.
So in 13 years. Very optimistic, I shall say. Will EU exist in 2030? Will all the member states agree about such an idea?
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 05:32 PM   #35991
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
That is light compared to what you can sometimes find in Romania.
If you mean tacky Disneyland-like houses (or mansions), it's not the same. That house actually has style and looks like straight from Switzerland with all those flowers. Of course the rest of the village doesn't look that well (although it's not so terrible either).
Old March 25th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #35992
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
So in 13 years. Very optimistic, I shall say. Will EU exist in 2030? Will all the member states agree about such an idea?
The USA basically accomplished that (well, in large part) in perhaps less than 13 years (EZ-Pass) and the tolls were all managed by their state-level governments... it's definitely the kind of initiative the EU should be working at, facilitating interstate commerce and simplifying people's lives. And as seen here, many EU toll systems are working with the same equipment already so costs should be small.
Old March 26th, 2017, 09:44 PM   #35993
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A new diesel scandal is emerging across Europe, the manipulation of AdBlue / Diesel Exhaust Fluid.

AdBlue is a fluid that is inserted into the exhaust of diesel engines, mostly trucks, but also some passenger cars. It cleans the exhaust so it can conform to the latest Euro emission standards. Without AdBlue, it would be as dirty as a 1990s truck.

However AdBlue cost money, reportedly the operating cost is around € 1000 - 2000 per year per truck. Eastern European trucks increasingly use devices that manipulate the engine management system, so it thinks the system is operating as it should, while in reality no AdBlue is consumed. This means they pay a lower toll rate in some countries than they should, and of course they pollute more.

The German ZDF reported on it earlier this year. The Polish police is aware of it and also checks trucks for AdBlue manipulation. The Norwegian police also checks foreign trucks for manipulation when entering the country, and they detect an increasing amount of AdBlue manipulation.

The device looks like this:
It's a matter of time before all police officers throughout europe know where to look at for this device. I expect this fraud to be over in just a couple of years. The economical benefit of not using adblue is simply too small to risk high fines, unlike for instance red diesel fraud (although the latter is a more well-known problem).

Verso liked this post
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 11:58 PM   #35994
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6783

Opel Corsa B from 1993. Today, I had to exchange the headlight bulb. H4. An old car, so apparently it should be easy. A German one, in addition, so you can expect that they made it so that it's practical. But actually, to exchange the bulb, I had to remove a part hiding the access to the bulb (it was simple), but then... I had a lot of problems with installing the bulb in its place. It is kept there with a special spring, which I had much difficulty fitting. There is so little room over there that I could operate with one hand only and I couldn't see almost anything...

In an old German car.

A few months ago I was doing the same in Ford Fiesta MK7 from 2011. And I think it was simpler here... I had to disassemble the whole lamps, then disconnect a cable, which was not easy at all (the connector had a very strong latch - and I didn't want to break it), finally untighten two screws keeping the bulb in its place and remove the bulb. More steps to do and a tool (screwdriver) needed - but, actually, it wasn't so problematic as in Opel from 1993 - the access was considerably better.

And then... what when the police catches you not having one of the headlights? You have to exchange the bulb on site. If you haven't done it before, you will spend a lot of time with the police waiting until you finish...
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 12:53 AM   #35995
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
And then... what when the police catches you not having one of the headlights? You have to exchange the bulb on site. If you haven't done it before, you will spend a lot of time with the police waiting until you finish...
Is it mandatory to change to bulb on spot in Poland? In Latvia you can continue driving to the nearest parking or car mechanic with your hazard lights on, if only one headlight is out.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 01:38 AM   #35996
Kpc21

Driving with hazard lights on? How do you indicate that you turn left or light then?

Yes, you must either change the bulb on the spot, or you get a fine and the police confiscates the registration certificate, you get a few days to exchange the bulb and then you can get the certificate back from the car registration authority.

In some countries, like Slovakia, if I am not mistaken, it's even obligatory to have a set of spare light bulbs with you. In Poland not, but if you are caught with no light, you must fix it.

And the lights are obligatory 24/7, so they can catch you for that even on a sunny day

By the way, what I often notice is that some drivers have indicators with white glass in their cars - which means they should use orange light bulbs for them - but they use standard, transparent light bulbs, so their indicators do not blink orange, but yellowish-white... It's weird and sometimes annoying.
Old March 27th, 2017, 01:51 AM   #35997
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Driving with hazard lights on? How do you indicate that you turn left or light then?

Yes, you must either change the bulb on the spot, or you get a fine and the police confiscates the registration certificate, you get a few days to exchange the bulb and then you can get the certificate back from the car registration authority.

In some countries, like Slovakia, if I am not mistaken, it's even obligatory to have a set of spare light bulbs with you. In Poland not, but if you are caught with no light, you must fix it.

And the lights are obligatory 24/7, so they can catch you for that even on a sunny day

By the way, what I often notice is that some drivers have indicators with white glass in their cars - which means they should use orange light bulbs for them - but they use standard, transparent light bulbs, so their indicators do not blink orange, but yellowish-white... It's weird and sometimes annoying.
Apperantly you have to turn them off and use the indicator when turning, then turning the hazard lights back on, after the turn. But that's only in the dark. As you pointed out, we also have obligatory lights 24/7, so during the day you can use your front fog lights instead of the regular headlights, if something goes wrong with them. Quite a diffrence to Poland, where driving with front fog lights is practically forbidden.

This reminds me of older US imports on our roads (very few though), which sometimes have red glass instead of the orange one in the rear for indicators. So you see a red light blinking, that's quite confusing and made some dangerous situations on road.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 02:07 AM   #35998
Kpc21

I have heard about this red indicators problem too. In Poland it's not allowed to use red indicators, you must change them to orange ones.

Another problem with American cars are symmetric headlights. In Europe, they are required to be asymmetric.

And yet another problem is that the Polish law doesn't provide license plates in the American format. Some people do custom ones, but it's illegal. Others use ones in the square format (designed mostly for offroad cars and trucks, but they were once quite popular on Fiat 126p too) and bend them so that the plate protrudes from its place on the car down. So:

Old March 27th, 2017, 02:27 AM   #35999
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

New LED lamps are far more durable than old ones, right?

The only downside is that they produce little heat when on and don't melt any snow.
Old March 27th, 2017, 04:59 PM   #36000
Verso
Islander

The Slovenian sea has just avoided an ecological disaster. A tanker with 200 t of oil got stranded between Koper and Trieste, but luckily rocks didn't break the ship's bottom (bilge). After it was stranded the whole night, they towed it to Koper and forbade it further sailing.

http://www.rtvslo.si/news-in-english...isaster/418379

Last edited by Verso; March 27th, 2017 at 10:55 PM.

Tags
highways, motorways