daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2017, 11:47 PM   #36001
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
New LED lamps are far more durable than old ones, right?

The only downside is that they produce little heat when on and don't melt any snow.
With those used in the street lighting, there is a problem with security. Typically, the light sources used in street lighting are designed so as to minimize so called light pollution, the light that goes to the areas other than the ones desired to be lightened. Especially to the sky, which is a pain for the astronomers (it decreases the contrast between the sky and the stars, so you can see less of them).

The LED's are particularly good in that, they can be designed so that the street reaches really nothing else than the carriageway and the sidewalk. So a criminal might be hiding in the not lightened, dark area very close to the sidewalk.

Which is not the case with the older lighting systems (e.g. sodium lamps - most popular now in street lighting - you recognize them by monochromatic yellow-ish/orange-ish light), with which the light was always very dispersed, the transition from the well lightened area to the darkness was very smooth and some light was reaching a big area out of the carriageways and sidewalks.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2017, 01:15 AM   #36002
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Opel Corsa B from 1993. Today, I had to exchange the headlight bulb. H4. An old car, so apparently it should be easy. A German one, in addition, so you can expect that they made it so that it's practical.
Haha, German car are honestly the worst to repair

e.g. VW or Audi, replace radiator... step 1, remove all front bodywork
Or my old Mercedes... replace starter, step 1, remove engine I sold the car for scrap instead, I had no time or patience...

Interesting that police in PL and LV are so aggressive on lamp burnout. I drove maybe 20 000 km on my old Mercedes with only one lamp, nobody hassle me (xenon type... I would change left, then right would go out, change right, left goes out... cheap Chinese bulb ) I see "one-eyed" cars every day.

I worry about the LED bulbs... they last long, and there are many. But they eventually fail, and then, essentially irreparable - throw out whole block and buy new one for $200 or maybe "ok, used" for $50. Whereas in old days, just look in your drawer in garage or basement and probably you have a $0.99 9005 or H4 sitting in there.

Kpc21 liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 08:21 PM   #36003
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Desertpunk

U.S. forum member Desertpunk passed away last year: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1986843

He contributed on Highways & Autobahns as well.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 08:28 PM   #36004
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I worry about the LED bulbs... they last long, and there are many. But they eventually fail, and then, essentially irreparable - throw out whole block and buy a new one for $200 or maybe "ok, used" for $50. Whereas in old days, just look in your drawer in garage or basement and probably you have a $0.99 9005 or H4 sitting in there.
A good LED implement lasts 40.000h of operation. That should be enough to outlast most cars' useful life, shouldn't it?

Anyway, the debate about the increasingly un-repairability of car components or necessity for specialized tools/shop instead of a DIY is as old ad the time when electronic fuel injection became the norm and carburetors were phased out, right?

I remember, some 12 years ago, reading critics on a then influential car magazine against the "creeping electronically-controlled systems" that prevented not only the drivers but simple auto shops without tools/licenses to fixed once common problems in the engine, climate control and fuel pumps.
Old March 28th, 2017, 08:33 PM   #36005
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
U.S. forum member Desertpunk passed away last year: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1986843

He contributed on Highways & Autobahns as well.
That is sad, I had wondered what happened to him a while ago.
Old March 28th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #36006
Kpc21

By the way... why is it so difficult to find the EU anthem sung in English on YouTube?

By typing "eu anthem", I find the German (original) version. Or instrumental only. It's not a problem at all to find the Polish version. But English - no way.

I know that a big part of the UK is now anti-EU and they are leaving, but... they had been in the EU before for quite long... Is it really never sung in English?
Old March 28th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #36007
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't really see the UK for being the reason that EU matters are in English. English is de-facto the lingua franca in business, education, and cross-border issues, especially for ordinary people and businesses who don't have a whole staff of translators for dozens of languages like governments have. It makes a lot of sense to continue having English as the primary language for EU matters even if the UK is not a part of the EU anymore.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol, Rebasepoiss liked this post
Old March 28th, 2017, 09:57 PM   #36008
flusispieler

Likes (Received): 16

The official EU-Anthem doesn't have any lyrics, so it doesn't look like a certain language is preffered

g.spinoza liked this post
flusispieler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 10:26 PM   #36009
bogdymol
bogdymod

English will continue to be EU-language even after Brexit, as it is official language in Republic of Ireland as well as in Malta.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 10:54 PM   #36010
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by flusispieler View Post
The official EU-Anthem doesn't have any lyrics, so it doesn't look like a certain language is preffered
However - it seems, German is preferred in practice, as the original version is German and all others are translation.

But, anyway, if it's played in Poland - then it's usually with the Polish lyrics. Specifically, in the translation by Konstanty Ildefons Gałczyński. In many schools, those lyrics are taught to children too.

So, I expect that it's common to sing it in the language of the specific country where it's played. I understand that it's anyway not so common to use it as the national anthems - but there are situations when it's relevant.

Ireland and Malta are smaller countries, so it's understandable that their influence on YouTube is also smaller

I have found this - a performance of "Ode to Joy" by students of a Polish primary school, in 5 languages:

"10 years of Poland in the EU".

Supposedly, one stanza is sung in English - although I couldn't recognize it at all. Thought it's Dutch or something like that (a language sounding a bit English-ish). I don't know, maybe those kids are so bad in English - although the German part sounded nice and - for my Polish ear - correct (although I am not a good person to judge it).
Old March 28th, 2017, 11:11 PM   #36011
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
English will continue to be EU-language even after Brexit, as it is official language in Republic of Ireland as well as in Malta.
Technically, this is not true. Each country can choose only one language to be represented in the EU, Ireland chose Gaelic while Malta chose Maltese.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 11:15 PM   #36012
Kpc21

When the Brexit becomes a fact, they will have to change this rule

After all, people in the EU institutions will not suddenly start using French or German instead - probably not everyone there can speak both of them.
Old March 29th, 2017, 12:13 AM   #36013
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
By the way... why is it so difficult to find the EU anthem sung in English on YouTube?

By typing "eu anthem", I find the German (original) version. Or instrumental only. It's not a problem at all to find the Polish version. But English - no way.

I know that a big part of the UK is now anti-EU and they are leaving, but... they had been in the EU before for quite long... Is it really never sung in English?
Here you go a version in Serbian:

Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 12:19 AM   #36014
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

oh no, flooding with poor Beethoven sung in all world's languages is beginning...

Verso, Alex_ZR, bogdymol liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 01:33 AM   #36015
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
A good LED implement lasts 40.000h of operation. That should be enough to outlast most cars' useful life, shouldn't it?

Anyway, the debate about the increasingly un-repairability of car components or necessity for specialized tools/shop instead of a DIY is as old ad the time when electronic fuel injection became the norm and carburetors were phased out, right?

I remember, some 12 years ago, reading critics on a then influential car magazine against the "creeping electronically-controlled systems" that prevented not only the drivers but simple auto shops without tools/licenses to fixed once common problems in the engine, climate control and fuel pumps.
Well, according to my car's trip computer, I drive an average of 53 km/h for the past 10 000+ km. So 40 000 h sounds very impressive, if only the rest of the car can last so long (the clock shows 269 000 today...).

But ! The 40 000 h number is only a statistical measure, maybe an L-10 life (90% LED are still working at t=40 000h) or L-50 life (50% survive)
But you have maybe 200 LED in each rear lamp cluster, and some in front, it is likely some will fail. The "infant mortality" is generally always high, especially for electronic components (and cars in general... at 10 000 km the car usually will have more risk of failures than at 100 000 km).

g.spinoza liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #36016
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Apparently the Czech cities nearby the German borders have a new problem. Germans park their old cars meant for liquidation there, take the registration plates and leave them rot there. Its cheaper than to have to pay for the liquidation in Germany. The owners are very hard to find and even so unresponsive. They also leave crashed auto's at the crash site if their value is low.
http://zpravy.idnes.cz/vraky-aut-nem...823_domaci_fka

piotr71 liked this post
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #36017
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
LED bulbs... they last long, and there are many. But they eventually fail, and then, essentially irreparable - throw out whole block and buy new one for $200 or maybe "ok, used" for $50. Whereas in old days, just look in your drawer in garage or basement and probably you have a $0.99 9005 or H4 sitting in there.
They should make the blocks modular so you dont need to replace electronics. They should also add spare leds to it that would take over the failed ones so you would not notice a problem.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 02:30 PM   #36018
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Apparently the Czech cities nearby the German borders have a new problem. Germans park their old cars meant for liquidation there, take the registration plates and leave them rot there. Its cheaper than to have to pay for the liquidation in Germany. The owners are very hard to find and even so unresponsive. They also leave crashed auto's at the crash site if their value is low.
http://zpravy.idnes.cz/vraky-aut-nem...823_domaci_fka
Surely they can be traced by the VIN number? Or have they destroyed/taken them too?
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #36019
Kpc21

In Poland you don't usually pay for car liquidation, unless it's incomplete.

With a complete car, which has some parts that can be resold, they sometimes even pay you something.

If the car has some missing parts, they are obliged by law to charge something for the lack of them.
Old March 29th, 2017, 02:53 PM   #36020
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I once totaled my 1994 Toyota Corolla. It was 12 years old at that time. It was economically totaled (it was not worth to repair it). But I got € 400 for the car, which someone then repaired. I saw it driving around a few months later.

Tags
highways, motorways