daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2017, 08:42 PM   #36021
bogdymol
bogdymod

In case anyone was wondering how the most dangerous road in the world looks like, have a look at this video:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Surel, x-type, Rebasepoiss, piotr71, Dyziol84 liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2017, 08:59 PM   #36022
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Maybe not with the car but I would definitely try it with a motorbike.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 10:34 PM   #36023
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6761

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I once totaled my 1994 Toyota Corolla. It was 12 years old at that time. It was economically totaled (it was not worth to repair it). But I got € 400 for the car, which someone then repaired. I saw it driving around a few months later.
A few years ago my family was selling a Renault Clio II after a crash, in which it landed on the roof. A local company buying totaled cars, extracting spare parts and scrapping them paid for it 600 zł (150 euro).
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 11:39 PM   #36024
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
Surely they can be traced by the VIN number? Or have they destroyed/taken them too?
That's not that easy, as they need to access German database, but indeed that's how they try to track the owners. However, the owners are unresponsive or deny ownership, or the tracks lead nowhere.

According to the law, they have to wait around half a year before they can tow the car (if parked properly), then they have to keep it at a special lot for another half a year before they can scrap it.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 02:03 AM   #36025
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21232

The percentage of cars written off after accidents has been increasing. Not steadily but there had been some jumps. In particular, after the latest collapsible frame/survival cell improvements were adopted on mass scale even on cheaper cars in the mid-2000s, more and more accidents with no injuries to passengers are resulting in cars being written off.

Sadly, some people, instead of being happy car crashes injure far less today than 30 years ago, lament that old cars survived small crashes better, not making the direct relationship between what gets hurt: the car body or the human bodies.

Kpc21 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 02:15 AM   #36026
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I'm not so sure it is so much related to that, it may be more the cost of skilled labour to put the car back into good condition that has risen quickly in past decades. But certainly, especially for expensive cars (e.g. BMW) with aluminium or other exotic (even high-strength steels for example) have big difficulty to repair after crashes, because the metal is difficult to bend back (it is liable to crack, poor ductility)

It seems wrong that a car costs money to scrap though. Is there some regulatory issue in Germany causing it to be so expensive? There is a significant amount of scrap metal, and also usable parts in any "junk" automobile, it is easily worth 250 - 500 Euro. Is there 500 Euro of paperwork or "sonderbehandlung" that Germany requires?

Kpc21 liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 03:11 AM   #36027
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
A few years ago my family was selling a Renault Clio II after a crash, in which it landed on the roof. A local company buying totaled cars, extracting spare parts and scrapping them paid for it 600 zł (150 euro).
I forgot to add that this Clio looked more like a Renault Twingo than like a Clio after this accident

Fortunately, nobody injured. Remember to fasten your seatbelts
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 03:17 AM   #36028
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I once bought a 1999 Saab 9-3 SE that had rolled on its roof, for 300 USD (I wanted the engine)
The structure was very good, but the roof was all twisted, dented, deformed. But the pillars held strong and there was no intrusion in the cabin.

The part that impressed me though was the glass moonroof. It was now at a slight angle because the roof had bent. But... not even scratched, let alone cracked. It must have been real "gorilla glass" haha. All other glass on the car was damaged of course.

Kpc21 liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 12:38 PM   #36029
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Opel Corsa B from 1993. Today, I had to exchange the headlight bulb. H4. An old car, so apparently it should be easy. A German one, in addition, so you can expect that they made it so that it's practical. But actually, to exchange the bulb, I had to remove a part hiding the access to the bulb (it was simple), but then... I had a lot of problems with installing the bulb in its place. It is kept there with a special spring, which I had much difficulty fitting. There is so little room over there that I could operate with one hand only and I couldn't see almost anything...
So apparently they fixed it in later Corsa C, where you must only open the cover at rear part of the lamp to get an access, open the bulb's fitting and get it out. The whole operation takes less than one minute.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 04:39 PM   #36030
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Are Like (Thumbs Up) buttons disappeared or it's only me that does not have them?
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 04:40 PM   #36031
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

It has been disabled since a forum update yesterday: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1987380
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 04:42 PM   #36032
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Thanks.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 03:21 PM   #36033
Surel

This car/gyro got the necessary certificates for roads and is registered as a vehicle and as a flying device at the same time. The first market production of 40 will be started shortly in Přerov. The auto-heli, or as they call it Autogyro was developed by Nirvana Systems.
http://www.autogyro.cz/r0c214/GyroDr...lnicni-provoz/

Flying from Přerov to Prague, and then riding from the airport to the center of Prague and back.

piotr71 liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2017, 08:49 PM   #36034
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

ok, if you drive it as a road vehicle with (probably) A category licence, are you allowed to fly with it, or you must own flying certificate?
Old April 3rd, 2017, 09:35 PM   #36035
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
ok, if you drive it as a road vehicle with (probably) A category licence, are you allowed to fly with it, or you must own flying certificate?
If you want to fly it, you need a pilot licence obviously.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:26 PM   #36036
Ices77

Likes (Received): 867

Cool. Is needed a permission for each flight, or is the flight possibly limited like height, or distance?
Ices77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 03:23 PM   #36037
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Is permission limited to the Czech Republic?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 04:59 PM   #36038
Surel

I think you can just use it as any other ultralight gyrocopter. I am not familiar with the exact rules, but you need flight plans etc. The flight is limited by the specification of the gyrocopter. Some 4-5 hours in the air, 160 km/h. But those people make international flight trips. They were above the polar circle as well.

Those gyrocopters are originally designed by a German company, the Czech company that produces this particular design is its subsidiary. The registration is a Czech registration. It has limited max speed to 40 km/h on road. I think that once you register it in the Czech Republic, you register it for the EU. The device received Czech homologation for the road use, that should be valid in the whole EU. They say that it is a first flying device in the world that is also officially registered as a road vehicle and they are preparing a line production.
Old April 8th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #36039
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

A common problem in the Netherlands are people ignoring the red X on the motorway traffic signalling. So in this case they used a VMS that says;

WARNING
ignoring red cross
fine 230 euros!

Sometimes they have a connector closed due to an accident on the other motorway and then put a police officer at the end. Everyone driving through is queued and receives a 230 euro fine.

Wait in line to get a fine!

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

piotr71 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 03:22 PM   #36040
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21232

One of the reasons I think Dutch drivers often ignore closed lane signs is that often there are closed lanes for nothing more than bureaucracy, such as plus lanes (less common now than 4 years ago)

Tags
highways, motorways