daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 15th, 2017, 12:41 AM   #36061
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6770

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
How to use a traffic signalled pedestrian crossing to your advantage as a car driver
We have creative drivers in Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
What if a button or sensor is broken?
Well... With the Polish law, you should walk to another crossing, or 100 meters away, because you are allowed to cross the street without a zebra if there is no zebra less than 100 meters away.

In practice - you would not care and just walk through when there is no cars (and, first of all, no police at sight).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
For example if the main road gets a green and there is no right turning traffic, the parallel bike path gets a green light too, even if there are no cyclists detected.
The problem is that in Poland it often doesn't work like that.

When there is an intersection with no buttons, detectors etc. at all - then yes.

But when there are detectors and buttons - it's often pointlessly configured so, that the pedestrian or cyclist (for a separate cycle path along the road) gets green only if he presses the button.

If there is green for cars along, but it's not so that it has just went on - even though the cars still have green, you as a pedestrian must wait to the next cycle, you won't get a green immediately.

They explain it so that if the light for pedestrians went green immediately after pressing it (assuming that the cars along already have green), the pedestrian would have too little time to safely cross the street.

I don't like it. It's my problem whether I manage to cross it safely or not. Not to mention that even if my light returns to red when I am on the zebra, I am allowed to continue walking and nobody is allowed to drive me over (although - someone may not think about that and start driving once he sees green, which can easily lead to an accident and a pedestrian's injury or death... but, again, if we were so careful all the time, we would drive not faster than 10 km/h at any time).

By the way. From the driver's perspective, a little less pedestrian-related, but traffic light - yes.

Here: https://goo.gl/maps/qbohAf5jK612 (it looks a bit different now, the whole intersection was totally rebuilt, but for the purposes of my description, nothing has changed)

I had the situation that I was turning right on red here (which was allowed by the "green arrow", which was on - some countries don't have it or the arrow is - more sensibly - amber, but we have already discussed that). I was behind the semaphore, letting the drivers from the left pass. When there was no drivers from left any more - and the pedestrians had red - I started driving. And... I almost crashed with someone. Driving... from my opposite and turning left. It turned out that when the drivers from my left stopped driving (as they got a red light), the left-turners from my opposite got green light. In such a situation, the green arrow for the right turn on red should be off. So I didn't care about the drivers from the opposite, thinking that if I have the green arrow, they won't be able to turn left. And that when they will be finally allowed to turn left - it will be totally collision-free for them. Making just one error. I was BEHIND the semaphore, I did NOT know if I still had the green arrow. Of course, I had already crossed it, so it not decide whether I was allowed to do the right turn any more. But it doesn't mean I am allowed to hit someone who has a general left turn signal, which actually gives him the full right of turning left without taking care of anyone.

Last edited by Kpc21; April 15th, 2017 at 12:59 AM.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2017, 01:38 AM   #36062
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
As I know they changed them recently.
They changed them already in 2010.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 11:48 AM   #36063
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

In Louisiana...

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 02:30 PM   #36064
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
They changed them already in 2010.
Ok. But I think you're wrong.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS

Last edited by Junkie; April 15th, 2017 at 05:21 PM.
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 07:07 PM   #36065
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

That's what Wikipedia says, not me.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 12:37 AM   #36066
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4004

Was there any particular reason why traffic signs posts used to be painted in blue-and-white in the past?
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:14 AM   #36067
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

I've never seen a Kosovan plate, neither new nor old, neither in Italy nor abroad (although I've never been in Balkan area except SLO and HR).
This may be strange as we have many Kosovan immigrants in Italy and plates from all other Balkan countries are regularly spotted here (Montenegro may be tricky, but it happens from time to time).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:24 AM   #36068
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Was there any particular reason why traffic signs posts used to be painted in blue-and-white in the past?
In which country? In Poland they were red-and-white.
Old April 18th, 2017, 12:52 PM   #36069
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

You probably remember a story about a bunch of trucks which got stuck in a narrow forest track because their GPS mistook a place in Poland for another place with the same name in La Rioja, Spain.

Well, it's happened again. This time a Portuguese truck that was going to Nestares, Cantabria ended up in the hamlet of Nestares, La Rioja

The only access to the village:

This must be the whole population of the village just watching what probably has been the most exciting thing that's happened there for centuries

Source: http://www.larioja.com/comarcas/2017...418083402.html

Do this kind of things happen anywhere else? Because I got the impression that they only happen in my region

Kpc21, winnipeg liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:15 PM   #36070
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
Do this kind of things happen anywhere else? Because I got the impression that they only happen in my region
It happens any time anywhere, with different variables: getting stuck below a low bridge, in a narrow alley, in a pedestrian path,...
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #36071
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
In which country? In Poland they were red-and-white.
In former Yugoslavia. Some of them can be seen even today:

https://goo.gl/maps/8rypci3ybEG2

https://goo.gl/maps/sz4KAdkQ8BH2

https://goo.gl/maps/RvJBf1EZ7yn

https://goo.gl/maps/CjxFPezLaNL2

These posts are 35-40 years old, some of them still holding original signs, while on some of posts signs have been replaced by new ones.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 04:16 PM   #36072
ChrisZwolle
Road user

How do you get out of a crash like this with only minor injuries?

A61 near Boppard, Germany.

Old April 18th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #36073
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It happens any time anywhere, with different variables: getting stuck below a low bridge, in a narrow alley, in a pedestrian path,...
We had drivers who leaded by GPS landed in water
Old April 18th, 2017, 04:59 PM   #36074
italystf

Quote:

From the picture it looks like the car had the most serious damages on the front (engine), with the driver seat being less affected.
Anyway (s)he was very lucky, as many car vs truck accidents results in the death of the car driver/passenger(s). Probably speed wasn't that high, otherwise the car could have been entirely crushed by the truck, like happened last week on Italian A4 near San Stino di Livenza (the car driver died):

Old April 18th, 2017, 05:10 PM   #36075
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I meant the truck in the background. The cab is almost torn off of the chassis and severely deformed. There were only 3 minor injuries in that crash.
Old April 18th, 2017, 09:32 PM   #36076
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I've never seen a Kosovan plate, neither new nor old, neither in Italy nor abroad (although I've never been in Balkan area except SLO and HR).
This may be strange as we have many Kosovan immigrants in Italy and plates from all other Balkan countries are regularly spotted here (Montenegro may be tricky, but it happens from time to time).
The road to the west is via SRB so as I know no new plates originating from there are permitted to transit. But its possible that many use the route via Montenegro and Croatia to get to the western countries such as Italy.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 01:37 AM   #36077
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
I meant the truck in the background. The cab is almost torn off of the chassis and severely deformed. There were only 3 minor injuries in that crash.
minor crushing of head
Old April 19th, 2017, 08:07 AM   #36078
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1749

Quote:

Reminds me the head-on train crash near Bratislava in 1995. Due to severe rainstorms the electrical wires running along the trackside responsible for signalling got cut-off a thus the signalling went off. The double-track was closed for a while, but after a few hours, the track technicians were able to launch the traffic at least at one track.

Due to outstanding situation (single-track operation, semi-working signalling) two trains appeared on one track facing each other. Since the track has bends and there are trees along, the train drivers spotted each other just seconds before the crash. The local train was driving at 30 kph (because of the outstanding situation), while the express train did 130 kph.

Result:

Causalities: none

The first-class car coupled in express train just after the locomotive was thrown away from the track making some people fall out of the car. Thanks to severe rainstorms the ground was extremely soft an even if some people ended up under the derailed car, they were not smashed.

The train drivers jumped out of locomotives. The one from the fast driving express train ended up with permanent injuries (afaik he was the only one). Only minor injuries.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 02:28 PM   #36079
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Meanwhile in Spain, another chapter of the "nobody was injuried" series (photo from regional newspaper Heraldo de Aragon):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
You probably remember a story about a bunch of trucks which got stuck in a narrow forest track because their GPS mistook a place in Poland for another place with the same name in La Rioja, Spain.

Well, it's happened again. This time a Portuguese truck that was going to Nestares, Cantabria ended up in the hamlet of Nestares, La Rioja

The only access to the village:

This must be the whole population of the village just watching what probably has been the most exciting thing that's happened there for centuries

Source: http://www.larioja.com/comarcas/2017...418083402.html

I like to deliberately confuse places with identical or similar names. For example in Zaragoza province there is Longares and Longas. Not only they have similar names, in Aragonese both have the same name, Longars, but since the second one still has some Aragonese speakers it just got its name translliterated rather than translated. Recently they completed a road to the latter, and I said I thought they had a motorway already for some time and I linked to the Aragonese Wikipedia article about the former. Now that I think, it would be a good April Fools' Day joke for the Did You Know? section of Wikipedia, among things like "Did you know that T. rex survives underground in Kenya?".
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 04:34 PM   #36080
Kpc21

The previous year, I think, we had a case of a tram which went out of control, became "autonomous" and started speeding through the city. Ignoring zebras and red lights. Finally it derailed. Nobody was injured either.

Video:

piotr71 liked this post

Tags
highways, motorways