daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #36081
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19424

A large amount of snow in Southern Poland. I think it's quite unusual to see this much snow in late April in the lowlands.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

g.spinoza, x-type, Kpc21 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2017, 07:37 PM   #36082
ChrisZwolle
Road user

An iceberg off the coast of Newfoundland creates a spectacular view. There is reportedly a lot of congestion on the road to Ferryland, where this iceberg is located. It's quite far south, 47 N, on a similar latitude as Switzerland. Though icebergs do get farther south than this.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; April 19th, 2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old April 20th, 2017, 01:38 AM   #36083
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A large amount of snow in Southern Poland. I think it's quite unusual to see this much snow in late April in the lowlands.

And in the central Poland... no snow at all.

Although the media say that some parts of my voivodeship suffer power outages due to excessive amounts of snow which overloads the wires on the lines between villages (mechanically).

Quite unusual - but in April still possible here.
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 11:43 AM   #36084
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Also last year Central Europe (including Northern Italy above 500 meters) had snow in late April.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 11:46 AM   #36085
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
An iceberg off the coast of Newfoundland creates a spectacular view. There is reportedly a lot of congestion on the road to Ferryland, where this iceberg is located. It's quite far south, 47 N, on a similar latitude as Switzerland. Though icebergs do get farther south than this.
That's not far away from where Titanic sunk 105 years ago, and it was in the same period of the year too.
North America's winters are usually colder than European ones, at the same latitude, because North America doesn't get Gulf Stream.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 08:13 PM   #36086
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Also last year Central Europe (including Northern Italy above 500 meters) had snow in late April.
I remember. Was on my way to trst.
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 02:30 AM   #36087
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
That's not far away from where Titanic sunk 105 years ago, and it was in the same period of the year too.
North America's winters are usually colder than European ones, at the same latitude, because North America doesn't get Gulf Stream.
Yup. New York is further south than both Naples and Barcelona. New York is far, far colder than those two.

Newfoundland actually has quite moderate temperatures for its latitude in North America, if it were inland it would be at the same latitude as the freezing cold North Dakota.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 11:21 AM   #36088
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

N Hitler St

Actually it is named after one of the original settlers of the area. There is more people surnamed Hitler.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 10:40 AM   #36089
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

I ordered yesterday my new car, a Peugeot 3008.

Delivery time: 7 months
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 11:49 AM   #36090
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post

What? That long? Did you order it at a regular seller? What are the specs (something unusually customized)?
Old April 27th, 2017, 01:23 PM   #36091
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What? That long? Did you order it at a regular seller? What are the specs (something unusually customized)?
It is a certified Peugeot dealer in Turin. The car is not particularly customized: it is a GT-Line (the next-to-top trimming) with some options. The dealer showed me a brochure they regularly receive from the manufacturer which states the ETA for each trimming: others were shorter, the GT-Line was 210-240 days...
Old April 27th, 2017, 01:43 PM   #36092
bogdymol
bogdymod

Peugeot 3008 is an interesting car. I'll be honest and say loud that the front is ugly (in my opinion), the back is nice, but the interior... the interior is one of the best you can currently find on the market. It looks like the cockpit from a Star Trek shuttle:

Wish you all the best and many km without any incidents!
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #36093
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some auto journalists criticized the small steering wheel that Peugeot uses, but liked it in the 3008 because it's not in the way due to the higher seating.
Old April 27th, 2017, 02:03 PM   #36094
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Peugeot 3008 is an interesting car. I'll be honest and say loud that the front is ugly (in my opinion), the back is nice, but the interior... the interior is one of the best you can currently find on the market. It looks like the cockpit from a Star Trek shuttle:

Wish you all the best and many km without any incidents!
Thank you very much!
I am not a fan of the back of this car but I appreciate the front and I think the side is very nice. Of course the interior is impressive.
I think the best looking car in this category is the Hyundai Tucson, but I test-drove it and wasn't impressed.

Quote:
Some auto journalists criticized the small steering wheel that Peugeot uses, but liked it in the 3008 because it's not in the way due to the higher seating.
I did a test drive before buying and I did not have problems with the steering wheel at all: I think it is an improvement over my current 207's because this always stands between my eyes and the dashboard. To see the instruments I currently have to set the wheel too high for my arms. I had little problems with the shift stick, it is a little too high: but I think it is something you get used to eventually.
Old April 27th, 2017, 02:32 PM   #36095
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
My 308 has this and it didn't take me long to get used to it. In fact, there's no real difference to a normal steering wheel except the top of it is below the dash. The idea was that you would sit in a position whereby you could look at the dials with minimum eye movement from looking at the road ahead. Doesn't make any difference to me as I'm 6'2" (189cm) so I still have to tilt my head slightly to see the dials.

g.spinoza liked this post
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #36096
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Peugeot 3008 GT Line is priced in the Netherlands: from € 35,360 (1.2 Puretech petrol), € 39,890 (1.6 e-THP petrol) or € 49,650 (2.0 HDI diesel). Those are the base prices, without any options.
Old April 27th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #36097
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9122

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post

Don't you have enough decent cars being manufactured in Italy?

I guess I'll must look for something for my mum this year. If only the price is reliable, it would be nice preposition She would prefer something taller, so as for now, VW Golf Sportsvan and Citroen C4 Picasso look the best. Currently she has a 2005 VW New Beetle with very nice setup and the plan is that I'll get it if becomes unuseful for her.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 03:03 PM   #36098
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
The Peugeot 3008 GT Line is priced in the Netherlands: from € 35,360 (1.2 Puretech petrol), € 39,890 (1.6 e-THP petrol) or € 49,650 (2.0 HDI diesel). Those are the base prices, without any options.
Wow, that's expensive.
Basic 2.0 HDi diesel, in Italy, is priced at 33,900 €. I got mine, with 2,500 € worth of optionals and giving back my 207, for 31k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajKeR_ View Post
Don't you have enough decent cars being manufactured in Italy?
I was very interested in the new Jeep Compass (I know it's American, but owned by Fiat and I think it is produced in Italy as the Renegade is), but the dealer told me that the Opening Edition (with a lot of optionals and very decently priced) was out of stock and didn't know when or if it would be available again.

Last edited by g.spinoza; April 27th, 2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old April 28th, 2017, 01:30 AM   #36099
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

30 000 something Euro for car with an engine that is small for a motorcycle?! :o
Old April 28th, 2017, 07:19 AM   #36100
bogdymol
bogdymod

2.0 is not small by European standards, but this is seen different in North America...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways