daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 29th, 2017, 11:59 AM   #36121
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

How to pronounce 'Kosciuszko Bridge' in New York City.

https://www.facebook.com/ny1news/vid...c_ref=NEWSFEED

The I-278 bridge is named after Tadeusz Kościuszko, a Polish general in the American Revolutionary War.

The Polish guy pronounced it correctly, but the confusion about the name is understandable given that these letters are pronounced differently in English and in Polish.

Just like 'Berlin' or 'Paris' may be spelled the same in German/French and English, but are pronounced quite differently in German and French.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kpc21, piotr71 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2017, 12:09 PM   #36122
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
We don't have a road tax (paid explicitly), but the engine capacity influences highly the insurance price.
Didn't realize this while paying for Fiat 126p (650 cc) and VW NB (1900 cc)

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.

Kpc21 liked this post
MajKeR_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2017, 12:53 PM   #36123
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6766

There is Kościuszko Mountain in Australia (the tallest mountain of the continent, by the way). Australians pronounce it in a definitely non-Polish way.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2017, 07:23 PM   #36124
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Wind 8 m/s from NE. Temperature +1 centigrade, feels like - 5 because of the wind. Heavy snowfall. Visibility 50 meters. Summer is coming!

Attus, Kanadzie, Kpc21, MajKeR_ liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2017, 08:28 PM   #36125
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

We had an unusually warm month of March. Then, around April 4, temperatures dropped and we even had some days nearing zero.
Old April 29th, 2017, 09:04 PM   #36126
ChrisZwolle
Road user

April had a lower average temperature than March. But the first week of April was above average while the last three weeks of April were frequently 6-7 degrees below average.

It seems to be a trend, with unseasonal warm weather in early spring followed by a cold spring and early summer.
Old April 29th, 2017, 10:11 PM   #36127
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Park and ride!

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Attus, btrs liked this post
Old April 29th, 2017, 10:21 PM   #36128
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
We had an unusually warm month of March. Then, around April 4, temperatures dropped and we even had some days nearing zero.
Same in Poland.
Old April 29th, 2017, 10:47 PM   #36129
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

80 cm of snow in the mountains around Turin
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2017, 11:43 PM   #36130
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4001

Few days ago in Vrbas, Serbia, old Zastava 101 was split in two after being hit by BMW. Luckily, passengers got only light injuries.

Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 01:23 AM   #36131
bogdymol
bogdymod

Yesterday morning there were -3 degrees where I live in Austria. I also had to clean the car of 5-10 cm fresh snow in the morning. My parents are now in Tyrol, where it was -15 degrees and approx. 50 cm of fresh snow in one night. So long 1st of May week-end brought snow and chilly temperatures in the area I live.

Therefore today I flew to Portugal, where is warmer. Greetings from Faro.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

g.spinoza liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 02:14 AM   #36132
Kpc21

It is starting getting warmer in Poland.

Friday was a totally rainy day, which... resulted in much increased traffic jams in the city (many people chose cars instead of public transport because of the rain). There were also moments with snow (snow and rain, actually). But today, it was already quite warm and with only very minor showers, difficult even to feel.

Some parts of Poland - not only in the mountains - had heavy snowfalls within the last week. Fortunately, not my area.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 08:27 PM   #36133
Suburbanist
on the road

European new car registrations march 2017 x march 2016 (from The Economist).

I wonder how much of this growth is recovery from crisis in a more stable manner, and how much is just delayed purchases (new car sales in Europe dropped significantly during 2008-11 crisis, people started holding longer into vehicles that became more durable and were driven less, but there is only so many years you can still cling to an old car before maintenance costs or new environmental regulations makes it impractical).

Another factoid: new car registrations in Europe surpassed those in the US for the first time ever.

g.spinoza liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 08:34 PM   #36134
Suburbanist
on the road

I have another question: have Smart cars been a fad in your country, already out of the way? I think they were killed by cheap and reliable small cars like Citroën C1 or Toyota Aygo, which are more fuel efficient, substantially quieter and more spacious than the Smart ForTwo. I was living in Italy in 2008-9 and, by then, they were selling really well and being parked perpendicularly all over the place. Some regulations against that were later passed, enforcement appeared to be spotty yet. Here in the Netherlands, there were not many Smart FourTwo, and over time they became even rarer.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 09:30 PM   #36135
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
I have another question: have Smart cars been a fad in your country, already out of the way? I think they were killed by cheap and reliable small cars like Citroën C1 or Toyota Aygo, which are more fuel efficient, substantially quieter and more spacious than the Smart ForTwo. I was living in Italy in 2008-9 and, by then, they were selling really well and being parked perpendicularly all over the place. Some regulations against that were later passed, enforcement appeared to be spotty yet. Here in the Netherlands, there were not many Smart FourTwo, and over time they became even rarer.
Yes. There is a significant drop of Smart cars on our roads. After having read your post, I immediately visited the site of the Smart importer and checked the prices. It got cheaper. The used cars (10yo) are not more expensive than 2500 €.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 10:06 PM   #36136
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Next Sunday I will leave for a week of work in the (very northern) Svalbard Islands. I will try and document the roads there, or lack thereof, for you.
Temperatures are expected to be in the -20s °C, so maybe there won't be many pictures outdoor, after all.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:20 PM   #36137
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

What do you mean, what is your opinion?
It's Germany, or any other country where inbound roads don't cancel speed limits. A dynamic overhead sign shows 100 km/h speed limit (the usual sign, 100 in a red circle). Approx. one kilometer away the next similar overhead sign is dark (i.e. empty, it does not show anything), the one after is dark as well. The way on, several (20-30) kilometers long there is not any speed limit related sign.
It sounds crazy but it's quite typical in A1-A61 in Western Germany. It happened to me at least ten times in the las six months.

Edit: Wow, exactly 2,500 posts.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:32 PM   #36138
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
The C1 / 107 / Aygo killed the Smart I think. These small city cars are extremely popular in the Netherlands and affordable, whereas Smart is expensive and for a lifestyle city car, people rather buy the Mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Next Sunday I will leave for a week of work in the (very northern) Svalbard Islands. I will try and document the roads there, or lack thereof, for you.
Temperatures are expected to be in the -20s °C, so maybe there won't be many pictures outdoor, after all.
That's a cool trip, not many people go up there. You'll probably have a great time there.

Are you going here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalba...bal_Seed_Vault ?
Old May 4th, 2017, 12:09 AM   #36139
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's a cool trip, not many people go up there. You'll probably have a great time there.

Are you going here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalba...bal_Seed_Vault ?
No, I'm no botanist.

I'm going here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirigi...Arctic_Station

we will install a permanent calibration facility for permafrost and air temperature sensors.
Old May 4th, 2017, 01:12 AM   #36140
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Ny-Ĺlesund (not to be confused with Ĺlesund) is the northernmost inhabitated settlement in the world, known for the Airship Italia disaster of 1928.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways