daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2017, 09:27 AM   #36141
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Ny-Ålesund (not to be confused with Ålesund) is the northernmost inhabitated settlement in the world, known for the Airship Italia disaster of 1928.
This is disputed. Some say that Alert, Nunavut is. Ny-Ålesund is located 78° N, Alert is at 82 °N.

Last edited by g.spinoza; May 4th, 2017 at 09:33 AM.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #36142
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Quote:
Ny-Ålesund (not to be confused with Ålesund) is the northernmost inhabitated settlement in the world, known for the Airship Italia disaster of 1928.
In fact Ny-Alesund means "New Alesund", so they are related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
This is disputed. Some say that Alert, Nunavut is. Ny-Ålesund is located 78° N, Alert is at 82 °N.
Station Nord in Greenland is also further North than Ny-Alesund. Oh, and how I could miss Camp Barneo somewhere in the ice cap near the North Pole . Anyway, the northernmost true town, i.e. settlement with permanent population, is Longyearbyen, not far from Ny-Alesund.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 02:43 PM   #36143
bogdymol
bogdymod

I just spotted a car registered in Moscow (777 Oblast) in Cascais, west of Lisbon, Portugal. That'a a long drive...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #36144
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Russians get everywhere, even more than Dutch. 1000 km is nothing for them. Few days ago I was around Lake Garda and Russian plates were as common as in Helsinki if not even more.
I also saw GBG plate for the first time (do you find out which country is it without Google?)
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 03:05 PM   #36145
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

That's Guernsey, right? GB + G. Gibraltar is GBZ if I'm not mistaken.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 03:41 PM   #36146
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's Guernsey, right? GB + G. Gibraltar is GBZ if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, it is.
GBZ: Gribraltar
GBG: Guernsey
GBJ: Jersey
GBM: Man
I've never spotted any of them, though.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 03:44 PM   #36147
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Russians get everywhere, even more than Dutch. 1000 km is nothing for them. Few days ago I was around Lake Garda and Russian plates were as common as in Helsinki if not even more.
I also saw GBG plate for the first time (do you find out which country is it without Google?)
I confirm, there's quite a lot Russian plates here in summer, mostly on expensive cars and with Moscow codes (I always google them to see if I find something more exotic like Vladivostok or something else very eastern).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old May 4th, 2017, 04:00 PM   #36148
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

I've seen RU car somewhere on a motorway between Manchester and York. I also see from time to time BY (not Bavaria ) around Munich.

GBZ I've seen of course in Gibraltar :P
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #36149
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

I only got St. Petersburg in Central Spain back in 2011. And I remember seeing a car from Guernsey once.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 04:40 PM   #36150
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

In 2015 I was strolling through the dunes near Tarifa, which is the southernmost point of mainland Spain. There was a car parked with a GBG plate. First I thought, O.K., no big deal because Gibraltar is nearby. Then I realized GBG is not Gibraltar but Guernsey.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #36151
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Russians are coming with cars here in Croatia in the summer too. probably it is more aadventure than flying for them.

I am now thinking about European plates that are probably the rarest here in HR, it is definitely Finland. I saw it maybe 2 or 3 times. ok, excluding Iceland which I saw once, maybe twice.
Old May 4th, 2017, 06:23 PM   #36152
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I remember a huge SUV (don't remember the model) with Russian plates struggling its way through the very narrow streets of Sirmione, on lake Garda...

A waitress at an ice cream shop in the old town was outraged and told me that she, not resident there (only employed) cannot enter the town with her teeny tiny car, and has to park - paying - very far away, while rich Russians come with their giant cars and can roam around the town paying nothing...
Old May 4th, 2017, 06:25 PM   #36153
italystf

I've never seen Iceland, Malta, Kosovo, all British territories, Aland.
Seen only once: Faer-Oer, Transnistria (in Austria)
Very rarely seen: Andorra, Ireland, Estonia, Liechtenstein, Turkey (on cars, trucks are common)

Non-European plates spotted: USA (cars from Texas, Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, Kansas, California, Virginia), Canada (two cars from Ontario), Japan (a motorcycle in Budapest), Iraq (a truck), Iran (a few trucks), Georgia (a few trucks), Tunisia (a truck), Algeria (a car), Russia (truck from Novosibirsk and cars from Ekaterinburg/Celjabinsk).
Old May 4th, 2017, 06:27 PM   #36154
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I remember a huge SUV (don't remember the model) with Russian plates struggling its way through the very narrow streets of Sirmione, on lake Garda...

A waitress at an ice cream shop in the old town was outraged and told me that she, not resident there (only employed) cannot enter the town with her teeny tiny car, and has to park - paying - very far away, while rich Russians come with their giant cars and can roam around the town paying nothing...
It's not that he was allowed to do so, he just did it risking to being fined (because he didn't know it was forbidden or just didn't care).
Old May 4th, 2017, 07:23 PM   #36155
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6780

Maybe they are just so rich that paying a fine is nothing for them.
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 07:38 PM   #36156
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Very rarely seen: Andorra, Ireland, Estonia, Liechtenstein, Turkey (on cars, trucks are common)

Non-European plates spotted: USA (cars from Texas, Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, Kansas, California, Virginia), Canada (two cars from Ontario), Japan (a motorcycle in Budapest), Iraq (a truck), Iran (a few trucks), Georgia (a few trucks), Tunisia (a truck), Algeria (a car), Russia (truck from Novosibirsk and cars from Ekaterinburg/Celjabinsk).
It is because you are not located on the gastarbeiter commuting route Just visit Hungarian M1 motorway and you are very likely to see all European plates

Very common exotic plates here are Greek, Macedonian, Turkish, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Russian.

Few times I've seen Iranian and Irish plates.

I have never seen Malta here, but saw Cyprus once.

From the strangest observations I've ever seen the top was the black Belarusian Cadillac GMT K2XL Escalade with all limo-dimmed windows and the licence plate 1111-AA-11 overtaking me on the Bratislava bypass at 140 kph. First I thought Lukashenko had arrived

cinxxx, Kanadzie liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 07:43 PM   #36157
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
ok, i didn't think of those displaced teritorries.
you are right for Andorra and Turkey on cars, I saw Andorra only in Spain. the same stands for Monaco, very rarely seen, although i saw it. for instance, Liechenstein and San Marino are much more often. Ireland and Estonia I also see quite often during the summer. but Finland - no way.
Old May 4th, 2017, 08:33 PM   #36158
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 793

Just before the summer starts I see a lot of foreign (european) plates transiting on the way to Greece. I see Romanian, Hungarian, Slovak, Polish cars and buses, and I've just spotted Moldavian plate starting with the letter "C", so probably that's their capital city code.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 09:28 PM   #36159
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

I've only seen RKS plates once at the border between MNE and AL
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #36160
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
It's not that he was allowed to do so, he just did it risking to being fined (because he didn't know it was forbidden or just didn't care).
No, tourist lodging in one of the town's hotel are allowed to do so.

Tags
highways, motorways