daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:40 AM   #36241
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

i have prepaid combination. 6GB of 4G and 300min of national calls to all networks costs me 11,5€ per month. unused minutes and GB are being transfered to next month.

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:45 AM   #36242
kreden

Likes (Received): 589

I'm paying €10 per month for unlimited minutes and texts and 8 GB of data throughout the EU plus 1 GB in 40 other countries. If I wasn't tied in a contract for another 18 months, I'd switch to a competitor that offers 20 GB (2 GB in the EU) and 3000 minutes and texts for €10 per month.
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 01:29 AM   #36243
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Pre-paid SIM cards have rather expensive data plans here in the Netherlands. I use yearly plans that don't include phones. That way, I can buy phones myself, upgrading as I want when it makes sense. The long-run cost of phones diluted on phone subscription plans is also on the high-ish size compared to buying them outright.

With a year-long commitment, I can always upgrade to the next "new offer" plan one year after. For instance, in 2014 my plan that 8GB/month. Now, for a lower cost than then, I have 20GB/month.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 01:30 AM   #36244
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreden View Post
I'm paying €10 per month for unlimited minutes and texts and 8 GB of data throughout the EU plus 1 GB in 40 other countries. If I wasn't tied in a contract for another 18 months, I'd switch to a competitor that offers 20 GB (2 GB in the EU) and 3000 minutes and texts for €10 per month.
Wtf, which operator and package is that?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 08:53 AM   #36245
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Not only EU countries are included, also Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein signed the agreement. Unfortunately Switzerland didn't.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 11:53 AM   #36246
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

My Dutch operator also includes Switzerland within EU roaming at no additional charge.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 01:26 PM   #36247
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
My Dutch operator also includes Switzerland within EU roaming at no additional charge.
Telekom does that here too, but other operators don't.
Vodafone offers a special option for CH and channel islands which you can buy for a week I think
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 05:18 PM   #36248
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Wtf, which operator and package is that?
i would also like to know. i am immidiately taking that option, will be better than any croatian one, even for using it here.

Verso liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 10:54 PM   #36249
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
I ordered my sticker yesterday. Let us see what happens.
I placed the order on last Wednesday, and the sticker arrived this Monday. Not bad.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 11:28 PM   #36250
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9122

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i would also like to know. i am immidiately taking that option, will be better than any croatian one, even for using it here.
Sadly, at least Poland's operators state that promotional fees abroad are valid until majority of services is delivered by domestic operator. But I guess they may be the most greedy all around the EU...

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 12:18 AM   #36251
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6792

It's a general rule agreed by the EU authorities. Otherwise Germans would all suddenly start using Polish SIM cards
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 12:46 AM   #36252
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

For some years that had been exactly the major conflict point that stalled earlier implementation of this directive: fear that a "unified mobile telecom market" would, in practice, force prices of mobile services in Eastern Europe way up to more closely match those of bigger and richer countries, else Germans and French would just start ordering SIM cards from Hungary and Bulgaria. They also feared an enormous race-to-the-bottom whereby some companies set up shop in Luxembourg, then aggressively market SIM cards with regular fares slightly above the EU wholesame roaming caps - which big operators in big countries feel would unfairly compete with their own expensive infrastructure.

The former is prevented from happening with the new directive. The latter is somehow a moot point as wholesale cap fares are often lower than the marginal cost of minutes, text or GB data anyway for heavy use plans (and for light use plans, the logistics of ordering a foreign SIM card probably would not be successful in the market).
Old May 24th, 2017, 10:37 PM   #36253
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
And does any of your operators do what most Polish ones does, that means, they limit the number of the "roam-like-at-home" minutes and SMS-es?
Yes, they do, although I would have to change my data plan to a slightly more expensive one because of it.

E.g. I have a shared 24GB data plan with a family member which costs €22 a month (92 cents per GB). If I wanted to have some free data roaming within EU I would have to choose a 16GB (5GB in the EU) or 32GB (6GB in the EU) data plan but these would cost €20 (125 cents per gig) and €26 (81 cents per gig) respectively.

Kpc21 liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 10:43 PM   #36254
Kpc21

In Poland, one of the operators has already withdrawn from the announced price list and told they will announce one soon.
Old May 25th, 2017, 12:37 AM   #36255
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9122

Which one? I stay ahead signing a new contract

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 01:32 AM   #36256
Kpc21

Play: http://mvno-gsm.pl/play-jako-pierwsz...awie-roamingu/

Although the first was T-Mobile, not Play, according to one of the comments.
Old May 26th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #36257
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4016

Two young guys from Bečej, Serbia are on their trip to Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia and back by their Yugo from 1989. Currently, they are on 33rd day of their 20,000 km journey.

CrazySerb, Kpc21, dubart, makaveli6, keber and 3 others liked this post
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2017, 01:02 PM   #36258
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I also see other potential problems with this directive. As I saw this weekend on the Croatian coast because of larger-than-usual crowds mobile networks couldn't cope with demand and networks (all of them) were not stable. I think in July-August peak season there could be quite some problems with accessibility as networks are dimensioned to much less usage. Now everyone will use mobile data, not WIFI networks.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #36259
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

True, this is already a problem with large festivals, where they have to install additional temporary 4G capacity to cope with peak demand.

Starting 1 June, I have a 10 GB/month package. I won't be using slow public wifi then... Though I noticed that 4G coverage in France, Spain, etc. is more spotty compared to the Netherlands where there is almost 100% 4G coverage. Last week I was in the Vosges and there were quite a number of areas with no 4G or even no signal at all.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2017, 05:42 PM   #36260
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
I also see other potential problems with this directive. As I saw this weekend on the Croatian coast because of larger-than-usual crowds mobile networks couldn't cope with demand and networks (all of them) were not stable. I think in July-August peak season there could be quite some problems with accessibility as networks are dimensioned to much less usage. Now everyone will use mobile data, not WIFI networks.
yeah, that's true, but it's not only here. i am active player of certain mobile phone GPS based game (no, it's not Pokemon Go) and few times a year few thousands of players meet in random city, where in those days mobile data network has large problems handling that much traffic.

Tags
highways, motorways