daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 10th, 2017, 03:07 PM   #36381
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
The -ng ending will never be close to it in any Slavic language. But in English - yes.
why do you think so?

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2017, 03:07 PM   #36382
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6794

Some crazy signage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [BÉTON!BRUT!] View Post
Apart from the obvious part, the "Droga wewnętrzna" and "Strefa ruchu" have contradictory meanings. "Droga wewnętrzna" means a private road (so the highway code doesn't apply there unless in case of a danger), "Strefa ruchu" - a private rode, on which the highway code applies (often used in residential areas, or in places like supermarket car parks or gas stations).
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 05:18 PM   #36383
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
why do you think so?
Because in Slavic languages it's pronounced just a the N and G sounds, not as a digraph meaning a long and "soft" N, like in English.

Unless it's so in some Slavic languages I don't know about.
Old June 10th, 2017, 06:14 PM   #36384
x-type
con los terroristas

but i still don't find it unusual. ok, if it is at the beginning of the word (the only one that I know is ngultrum and that should be Bhutanese currency) then it might be catchy, but I'm sure it is catchy for English speakers too, so they cannot read it as -ing thing. but here -ng- is nothing special. dunno, štanga (vault). everyday word. also, in German -ng- thing is very common, and they don't read it as in English ŋ, but the reall say ng
Old June 10th, 2017, 10:16 PM   #36385
Kpc21

Yes, but in what Slavic language will this ng be really pronounced as ŋ?
Old June 10th, 2017, 11:48 PM   #36386
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Language posts are like heatwaves; twice a year you get one and it feels endless...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 12:09 AM   #36387
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

I got an unexpected tax refund. It is strange but good to get these extra €€ straight from the government to your account without you having to do much about it.

I am checking the weather in Bergen (Norway), where I am moving to this summer. I often check weather forecasts every day when I wake up and swipe off the alarm clock. I know that it rains a lot in Bergen (annual precipitation = 2400mm) but it the realization of what life will be like comes more real when checking forecasts and seeing heavy rains expected for 8 days in a row. I'll get used to it, I'm sure, yet it is a challenge.

g.spinoza liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 12:12 AM   #36388
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 797

Quote:
In BCSM.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS

Kpc21 liked this post
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 01:38 AM   #36389
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
counter-question: in which language, except English, will it be pronounced as ŋ?
Old June 11th, 2017, 05:06 AM   #36390
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
In BCSM.
Yeah right. Especially not in Serbian: if it says "ng", it's pronounced [ng], not [ŋ].
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 09:04 AM   #36391
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I am checking the weather in Bergen (Norway), where I am moving to this summer. I often check weather forecasts every day when I wake up and swipe off the alarm clock. I know that it rains a lot in Bergen (annual precipitation = 2400mm) but it the realization of what life will be like comes more real when checking forecasts and seeing heavy rains expected for 8 days in a row. I'll get used to it, I'm sure, yet it is a challenge.
I use yr.no in Norway. It's available in English:

https://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Horda...rgen/long.html

Bergen is an umbrella's paradise.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 12:51 PM   #36392
Kpc21

So... in which version of BCSM it's actually pronounced as ŋ?

I'm reminding, the discussion is about, in which languages the transcription of the name of the capital of North Korea as Pyongyang reflects more or less accurately the Korean pronunciation.

In Korean the ending is ŋ, and while in English the transcription as -ng is exact, in many languages it just makes not sense, and it would be closer to leave it just as -n (for no way of writing the ŋ sound).

It doesn't mean, the ŋ doesn't appear in the language. I don't know about the other Slavics, but in Polish it exists. The thing is, when it appears, it does it "by accident", unintentionally, because it's easier to pronounce it then the normal "n" before "k" or "g".

A similar thing like the "hard" consonants (b, w, g etc.) changing into "soft" ones (p, f, k) in pronunciation at the end of the word.
Old June 11th, 2017, 01:47 PM   #36393
Junkie
Supervisor

In BCSM there is a letter "nj" and its pronounced as ŋ.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:

Kpc21 liked this post
Old June 11th, 2017, 02:09 PM   #36394
Kpc21

So Pyongyang should be spelled in this language as Pyonjyanj, Pjonjjanj, or somehow like it (I don't know, which letter is used to spell the English "y" sound).

I looked at spelling of this name in different languages, and it's interesting in Mongolian. There are two variants: Пхеньян (P-hen-yan) or Пёнъян (Pyon-yan). They don't use "g" anywhere. Although it's interesting that the first variant has a soft sign after the first "n" (which suggests to me that the first "n" is palatalized, although it may have a different meaning in Mongolian, I don't know) and the second one has a hard sign there.

In the Nahuatl language (spoken by Aztecs in Mexico) it's Pionyan.

And those seem to be the only languages using Latin or Cyrylic script and having both no "ng" and no "h" in this name.

But in Slovak, believing the Slovak Wikipedia, it's... Pchjongjang. So it has both "h" (here: "ch") and "ng".

Junkie liked this post
Old June 11th, 2017, 02:29 PM   #36395
Junkie
Supervisor

In BCSM, Pyongang is pronounced as "Pjonjang". Y becames "j". And ng, will be pronounced as ŋ. Actually it will became nj.

BEEN IN:
Old June 13th, 2017, 02:56 AM   #36396
aubergine72

ng and nj are two separate sounds. NG is a nasal sound.
aubergine72 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 10:01 PM   #36397
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Has anybody recently crossed the Röszke - Horgoš border crossing? Just being curious about the waiting times.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 10:15 PM   #36398
bogdymol
bogdymod

I have never crossed there, but on M5 motorway in Hungary, just before M43 exit towards Romania, there is an electronic sign above the motorway which warns you for congestion ahead (I suppose it warns you for the border crossing, but I always drove towards Romania on M43 so I don't know how was further ahead on M5).

However, what I find funny and probably is a malfunction of the sign, is that in the last 2-3 years, I crossed at least once per month in that area, at various times and various days of the week, and each and every time it was written STAU on it. I doubt that on 20+ occasions when I have been there, there was so much congestion every time.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 10:51 PM   #36399
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

You pass the M43 exit and at that moment, you literally enter the border crossing area :-) But I would not be sure about the STAU writing. There is always a huge congestion.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 11:00 PM   #36400
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
You pass the M43 exit and at that moment, you literally enter the border crossing area :-)
Not really. From M43 exit you still have 15 more km until the border checkpoint, including 2 other exits from the motorway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
But I would not be sure about the STAU writing. There is always a huge congestion.
I drove there at least once per month in the last 2-3 years, at all possible times, and always, without any exception, there was written STAU. Even my wife has noticed it! I know there is often congestion at this border, but I seriously doubt that each and every time there was a lot of congestion.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways