daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #36401
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6782

About the city names (not to OT in the border crossings thread) - in the US, practically two cities have Polish names different from the English ones:
- New York is called in Polish Nowy Jork,
- Washington DC is called Waszyngton (also the name of George Washington is often polonized to Jerzy Waszyngton, although it's quite typical for names of kings or political leaders in the past).
Maybe also Philadelphia - Filadelfia, but it's more a spelling thing, pronunciation is almost unchanged.

But from what I noticed, many languages leave the name New York unchanged. Germans, for example, don't call New York Neues Jork. Even in Russian, I have noticed, they just write it as Ню-Ёрк, or something like that (I am sure I messed up something with the spelling, but I want to give the general idea), so the English pronunciation of New York reflected phonetically in Russian using the Cyrylic alphabet.

Or London. In Polish it's Londyn, in French - it's changed much more (Londres), but many languages (German too) leave it unchanged.

An interesting case is Budapest. S in Hungarian is pronounced as SH, and the Polish name reflects it, in Polish it's spelled Budapeszt (it's funny that in Polish SZ is SH, S is just S, while in Hungarian... it's exactly opposite: S is SH and SZ is S). Many other languages (including English) leave it as Budapest, so people from those countries pronounce the name, actually, the wrong way.

Also Istanbul is interesting. In Polish the most common name is Stambuł, so I is neglected and N changes to M (the question is why), although there are people calling this city Istambuł or Istanbuł. Because the change of L to Ł is understandable - the Polish Ł used to be close to L in the past and it's not so long ago when it changed its pronunciation to the English W.

Anyway, Russians have one letter for the Polish L and Ł: Л. Usually it is considered to be an equivalent to the Polish Ł (although it's actually something in between, maybe it's the old Polish Ł), and when someone needs to spell the actual Polish L in Cyrylic, the soft sign is used (Ль). So the car brand Lada is spelled in Polish as Łada - and it's then pronounced just with the standard Polish Ł ("Wada" instead of "Lada", using the English spelling).
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2017, 11:55 PM   #36402
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

Warsaw in hungarian is Varsó. When you listen to the word of Warszawa you get an other thing in your mind in Hungary, at least if you are old enough to remember. It is a car.

Kanadzie liked this post
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 02:22 AM   #36403
Kpc21

Wow. I know about Fiat 126p in Hungary, but I didn't know that Poland exported to Hungary also the earlier cars

I am not old enough to remember it but I know that my family used to have a Warszawa.

The name came, of course, from the city, and it's exactly the same as the city name in Polish.

The car being the successor of Warszawa (or, rather, more of just a smaller equivalent) was Syrena. The name of which is also Warsaw-related, it means a mermaid, which is the symbol of Warsaw:

Old June 16th, 2017, 10:36 PM   #36404
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
Warsaw in hungarian is Varsó.

Attus, RipleyLV liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2017, 10:39 PM   #36405
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Also Istanbul is interesting. In Polish the most common name is Stambuł, so I is neglected and N changes to M (the question is why), although there are people calling this city Istambuł or Istanbuł.
Yes, the old Slavic name for Istanbul is Stambol or Carigrad.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2017, 11:37 PM   #36406
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7692

Our northern brothers....Serbs in Luzica, present-day Germany:

Kpc21, Sentilj liked this post
CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 12:31 AM   #36407
Kpc21

Their language is closer to Polish than any other.

Nimróad liked this post
Old June 18th, 2017, 05:43 PM   #36408
aubergine72

Sorbs have nothing to do with Serbs.

x-type, MajKeR_ liked this post
aubergine72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 07:22 PM   #36409
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

I took a vacation in Spain over the past 2 weeks. I wonder if there is going to be a severe water shortage by late summer. I've seen several reservoirs that were already very low while summer has only started today.

For example A-3 crosses a reservoir: https://goo.gl/maps/Ha3jwVCwb322 But you almost couldn't see any water from a driver's perspective. Another reservoir near Riaño also appeared already some 15 meters lower than maximum level with some of the bottom exposed. Google Earth has September 2015 imagery that has the lake at a similar level as it is now in June.

In Bilbao, the forecast high on RTVE was a staggering 37°C while the average June high is only 23°C.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 07:41 PM   #36410
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7692

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubergine72 View Post
Sorbs have nothing to do with Serbs.
Say hello to Pavle Jurisic Sturm, Lusatian Serb and general in Serbian army, circa Balkan Wars and World War I. Gave you guys a beating at Solun front.

CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:47 PM   #36411
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1185

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I took a vacation in Spain over the past 2 weeks. I wonder if there is going to be a severe water shortage by late summer. I've seen several reservoirs that were already very low while summer has only started today.

For example A-3 crosses a reservoir: https://goo.gl/maps/Ha3jwVCwb322 But you almost couldn't see any water from a driver's perspective. Another reservoir near Riaño also appeared already some 15 meters lower than maximum level with some of the bottom exposed. Google Earth has September 2015 imagery that has the lake at a similar level as it is now in June.

In Bilbao, the forecast high on RTVE was a staggering 37°C while the average June high is only 23°C.
Yes, it's possible

The reservoirs in certain basins are already below 50% of their capacity:
*Duero (most of Castilla y León): 48.95%
*Tajo (Madrid and the north of Castilla-La Mancha and Extremadura): 49.60%
*Júcar (south of Aragón, part of Valencian Community): 36.69%
*Andalusian Mediterranean (Málaga, Granada...): 45.96%
*Segura (Murcia): 28.48%

Source: http://www.embalses.net/cuencas.php

Also, July and August are the driest months in most of the Iberian Peninsula, and the (little) rainfall is mostly convective.

Besides, the extremely high temperatures cause a higher evapotranspiration. The last three years have been extremely hot. These are the forecasted temperatures for today and the 21st of June of 2016, 2015 and 2014:

Source: https://twitter.com/Fran_Lorenzo95/s...83222459457538

And this is the average maximum temperature for June:

Source: http://climaenmapas.blogspot.com.es/p/pagina-junio.html
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:56 PM   #36412
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Satellite imagery of Spain showed significant convection almost every afternoon, but evidently not that much rain actually reaches the ground. Several times I was under a rainfall area on radar but it stayed dry, with dry thunderstorms. These thunderstorms also died out pretty fast after sunset, as they are primarily driven by daytime heat.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 04:45 PM   #36413
Festin
Changeable constant

Likes (Received): 1458

Open question:
When you are out traveling on your road trips, do you have any hotel chains you prefer over other? Or do you prefer to rest in certain bigger cities?
Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:51 PM   #36414
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festin View Post
Open question:
When you are out traveling on your road trips, do you have any hotel chains you prefer over other? Or do you prefer to rest in certain bigger cities?
i allow myself chosing the hotels in that way only on bussiness trips. dunno, i like to choose Radisson when I have opportunity. however, usually my business trips are in smaller cities where I cannot find large international hotel chains.

when I'm travelling for private purposes, then the price is something that carries 80% of importance. name is not important at all in that case.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 10:05 PM   #36415
ChrisZwolle
Road user

If staying in a hotel, I prefer a chain that has a predictable price range and amenities. I usually like a budget hotel, around € 50 / night in western Europe, though in some countries they are hard to come by. France has a widespread availability of no-frills hotels along major routes. F1 is a bit too simple for me, Première Classe or Ibis Budget is okay with me.

However some trips are just a vacation, I stay on campsites, camping is extremely popular in Western Europe, there are some 10,000 campsites in France alone and even in Norway there are some 1,000 campsites. After a long day of driving it's nice to be outside in a scenic area instead of a small hotel room. I like to take a walk or sit on the terrace, there isn't much of that in a commercial zone.

Camping is also very cheap, I usually pay between € 9 and € 15 per night. Which offsets the cost of tolls. One night in a middle class hotel is as expensive as a week on a campsite.

Funny though, I have yet to find a campsite where there are no other Dutch. Even in more uncommon areas there are usually at least 1 or 2 Dutch people. I stayed on a campsite in Viver (near Valencia) and the campsite had only two guests for some reason; me and another Dutch couple.

I don't like campsites with over 80% Dutch, I like some variation but a few Dutch is nice to have a conversation, as people from France or Spain speak terribly poor English. They often know only a few tourist words but there's often no chance of having somewhat of a conversation, even among younger people. I don't understand how 20-30 year old Spanish people do not speak even some basic English... Don't they teach that in school?
Old June 22nd, 2017, 11:14 PM   #36416
bogdymol
bogdymod

I usually open booking.com, put the dates and aproximate area, and then I look on the map. Whatever is on my route (small detours also possible), within budget, with few extras that I need (parking, wifi, sometimes I also need breakfast) and with reasonable reviews wins.

When I travel for holiday the price is 80% of the importance. When I travel for work it is still important, but if a few euros more mean extra comfort or better location then I take that.

In UK I found that Holiday Inn are of very good standard, although sometimes a little expensive.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 02:09 AM   #36417
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21246

It is interesting to observe the logistics of online order delivers all over Europe. I order a new smartphone on an "Early Drop" plan (just after launch, with promises to deliver it in 3 days). It is a manufacturer (OnePlus) that doesn't sell phones on shops (at least not in continental Europe) or on contract plans.

When the tracking code arrived, I realized my phone was taking a big trip throughout Europe. It was cosigned at a facility in Italy near Malpensa airport (where it was probably on a depot freshly arrived from China), then by road to central Poland where it arrived within 24h. It was then flown to Sweden for whatever reason, and is now on a truck on its way to Amiens, France.

Amazon has become quite integrated. The German version of Amazon sells stuff to the Netherlands without delivery fees above 29 Euro orders. But no matter which Amazon site version we use, things might be sourced from all its Europe-wide depots. It is fascinating how these highly integrated supply chains work, even if at times I feel a little bad that a cheap shaving gel worth less than € 10 and part of a larger order qualifying from free delivery is not been sent from the usual Amazon rented depots in Maastricht or Zwolle, but from the facilities in Ireland or even in Spain through cargo flights.

Kpc21 liked this post

Last edited by Suburbanist; June 23rd, 2017 at 02:17 AM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 07:25 AM   #36418
bogdymol
bogdymod

At the company I work for we were sent an envelope with some documents from the UK. It arrived in Australia instead of Austria.

I also sent something from Austria to the UK with DHL express delivery that should arrive next dey. When looking on the tracking system, I saw that in the afternoon the package was at Vienna airport, during the night it flew to Paris and then to Birmingham, and from there it was delivered on the road. All in less than 24h.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 09:00 AM   #36419
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18303

Booked tickets for a 5 day trip to Faroe Islands second week of September
Atlantic Airways has a super offer from Copenhagen (160€ roundtrip).
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 11:14 AM   #36420
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
At the company I work for we were sent an envelope with some documents from the UK. It arrived in Australia instead of Austria.

I also sent something from Austria to the UK with DHL express delivery that should arrive next dey. When looking on the tracking system, I saw that in the afternoon the package was at Vienna airport, during the night it flew to Paris and then to Birmingham, and from there it was delivered on the road. All in less than 24h.
At work we had a package delivered from Kuwait. If I remember correctly, it arrived in Milan before being shipped to Turkey and then to Turin

On the other subject: when I travel for work, I usually don't mind about the hotel, our administration takes care of it. I just have to say where, and for how many nights, and they do the booking.

When I travel for vacation, I usually prefer b&b's when staying in some town or city, or apartments where I can do my own cooking when going to the seaside or the mountains. They're usually cheaper than hotels and much more practical.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways