daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2017, 08:22 PM   #36561
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I think you cannot compare Whatsapp and Facebook, their purpose is a lot different.
Well, yes and no. Facebook is indeed a different kind of platform, but the WhatsApp group chats moves some content from Facebook groups (and also internet forums) to WhatsApp.

Not everyone likes the fact that posting in a public group becomes visible to everyones feed, including those not involved in that group.

The downside of WhatsApp group chats is that they can become hyper active and filled with nonsense chat. You can't easily browse through that.

Also popular in the Netherlands, residents of neighborhoods keeping an eye out on suspicious behavior using WhatsApp. Many neighborhoods have put up signs as a deterrent for burglars.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #36562
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
This was yesterday on our main commercial TV news - report about incoming heatwave:

rough translation
-----------
How not to forget your child in the car
Advices from National institute for public health

- put an object on the seat beside a child which you will need at first when you arrive at your destination
- set up a reminder on your telephone that you need to leave your child at child care
- before you leave your car, open the back door and check if a child is in in the car
----------
Idiocracy at its best
This does seem like idiocracy, but on the other hand, there have been too many stories of young children dying in cars in hot weather. I wonder, though, whether the issue isn't so much "forgetting" as not realizing how fast a closed car in hot weather heats up, so people think they're okay for ten minutes. (There were numbers on the Weather Channel here a couple of weeks ago. Along the lines of a closed car in 35C weather for half an hour heating up to 55 or 60. Or something like that...they were given in Fahrenheit and I don't remember the exact numbers anyway.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 08:46 PM   #36563
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
How popular is WhatsApp in your country? In the Netherlands it is considerably more popular than Facebook;

Population: 17 million
* 12.1 million people have WhatsApp installed
** 11 million people use it at least once per week
** 9.6 million people use it at least once per day
* 7.1 million people have Facebook installed

So over half of the population uses it daily and the amount of people using WhatsApp on their phone is 70% higher than those who have Facebook installed.

Facebook also uses its MAU metric - monthly active users. These are people who use it at least once per month. But it doesn't say much about the actual usage of an app. Most Dutch people I have on Facebook are not active at all, with many posting less than once per month.

Engagement on Facebook seems extremely low, for example the Dutch public broadcaster NOS has 675,000 likes on Facebook but posts generally get only a few thousand likes at best, with many staying under 500 likes even after a few hours. That's extremely low compared to the amount of people following that page, not to mention compared to the amount of people who use Facebook.

Maybe the same rule applies as on internet forums; a small percentage of users is responsible for a large percentage of content and engagement.
Heck, I follow the NOS (and not only them), for practice reading Dutch. On the other hand, I haven't looked at anything of theirs in probably over a week.... My activity on Facebook changes. Sometimes I'm on top of my newsfeed; at others, I'm too busy and just stay on top of my groups and some friends.

I don't use WhatsApp much at all; I look at Facebook several times a day. I was a late adopter (2015) of both, though. But I'm not one of those people with thousands of Facebook friends; I limit it (mostly) to people I actually know and like.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 20th, 2017, 10:55 PM   #36564
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

I have no statistics. On the other hand I see that the vast majority of my Hungarian friends have not even heard of Whatsapp (no idea about very young people however, the vast majority of my friends are between 35-50 years), even those that actively use FB Messenger and other social media (Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, etc.) have never ever used Whatsapp.
Many of my German friends don't use any, some of them use both and I know only one single person that uses Whatsapp, but doesn't use FB Messenger.
So I have Whatsapp installed in my smartphone but I use it very rarely, I use Facebook Messenger quite oft.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 11:10 PM   #36565
ChrisZwolle
Road user

WhatsApp has 37 million users in Germany, according to this website.
Old July 20th, 2017, 11:20 PM   #36566
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Germany, WhatsApp is used by almost everyone I know except elder people over 60, except of my mother
It's used for private and business purpose.

It's definitely much more used than Facebook here...

btw: Of course, phone calls are still VERY common (minimum for business)...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 11:20 PM   #36567
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

What I need to get a handle on is LinkedIn.... Applying for a job and can't remember where on it I put my writing samples.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 21st, 2017, 12:20 AM   #36568
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

i use WhatsApp only for private purposes, and it is probably the most widespread messenger in country.
for some rebels I have Viber installed.
at work I use Skype.
for gaming I use Telegram.

so yes, I use on daily basis each of the most popular 4.
Old July 21st, 2017, 12:37 AM   #36569
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

I use Facebook messenger much more than Whatsapp, I barely ever use the latter.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 12:48 AM   #36570
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

I think Facebook, which owns WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger, will ultimately allow integration of both while keeping WhatsApp bare-bones available as well. That is has somehow spun FB Messenger for the FB social network is already an indication of that.

WhatsApp is more prominent in markets where SMS and especially MMS were quite expensive back when WhatsApp was introduced. In US, for instance, zero-marginal cost SMS had already been a feature of phone plans, so there was less of an incentive to adopt WhatsApp. In Netherlands, Germany and some other places, SMS were quite rationed and outrageously expensive above their monthly cap around 2009-11, so WhatsApp quickly gained popularity as a way for people to communicate as much as they wanted, through then prevailing 3G networks.

Actually, I think all the major messaging apps have some glaring shortcomings. WhatsApp makes it hard to track older chats and has a clumsy contact list system based only on phone numbers (which on the other hand is an advantage). Facebook Messenger is sleek but handles video not so well. Skype is great for video chatting but completely dropped the ball on making for easier/better text messaging. None of them advanced in terms of integration with cloud services properly (Dropbox, Google Drive etc).

Google itself dropped the ball, it had GTalk but never made a push on mobile and GTalk became irrelevant. Then there was MSN (Messenger), forced to fold onto Skype with loss of some critical functionality.
Old July 21st, 2017, 12:50 AM   #36571
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Quote:
Well, yes and no. Facebook is indeed a different kind of platform, but the WhatsApp group chats moves some content from Facebook groups (and also internet forums) to WhatsApp.

Not everyone likes the fact that posting in a public group becomes visible to everyones feed, including those not involved in that group.
That is extremely easy to configure. The group itself can be set as private or even secret and, in both cases, content in the group cannot be seen by anyone who is not part of the group, nor posts from the group can be shared outside the group either.

Actually, to Facebook's defense, since 2014 privacy settings became much more intuitive and easy to use. It is really easy to spend 10 minutes and configure who can see what, now.
Old July 21st, 2017, 01:24 AM   #36572
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Whatsapp is extremely popular in Italy, virtually everybody uses it on daily base and mostly replaces SMSs (the only SMSs I get nowadays are those from my mobile operator and other services). Most people would probably feel cut off from the outside world without it, as it's a very popular way to keep in touch (both with private and group chats).

Telegram is technically superior to Whatsapp. It allows to create group chats with more than 256 partecipants, it stores data on cloud instead on your phone memory and includes some functions not included in Whatsapp (bots, database of GIFs,...). However, it's still not popular and most people don't use it.

Facebook Messenger is very popular too, but mostly used to contact people you don't have their phone numbers (usually distant acquiatances or even strangers, for example to get information about sth) or to send material you find online or you have stored in your computer (it's more practical if you don't have Whatsapp web).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 01:28 AM   #36573
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Actually, to Facebook's defense, since 2014 privacy settings became much more intuitive and easy to use. It is really easy to spend 10 minutes and configure who can see what, now.
Still, you'll often meet people that are too ignorant/lazy to find it out, and then complain that someone has seen some private content that s/he wasn't supposed to see... talking about idiocracy.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 06:19 PM   #36574
italystf

Old July 22nd, 2017, 06:49 PM   #36575
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Oy. Joy Reid's not stupid, though. Before everyone starts piling on about stupid Americans just because not everyone over here knows central Europe like the back of their hands.... (This is what comes of the 24-hour news cycle; Tweeting without fact-checking.)

EDIT: Or was it the person responding to Joy Reid? I don't use Twitter (getting back to social media....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 22nd, 2017, 07:15 PM   #36576
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I had to look up who that is. A television host and correspondent for MSNBC.

Well, a tweet like that doesn't look so smart but how many Europeans can point out Missouri or Alberta on a map? The topographic knowledge of the average person is quite poor.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 07:54 PM   #36577
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
I had to look up who that is. A television host and correspondent for MSNBC.

Well, a tweet like that doesn't look so smart but how many Europeans can point out Missouri or Alberta on a map? The topographic knowledge of the average person is quite poor.
although i will use the opportunity and say that i am intensively learning US capitals and locations, i don't like this comparison. proper comparison would be to make Americans know French or Italian regions, German states, Spanish communities, Russian states etc.

Nimróad, Verso, RipleyLV liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 09:30 PM   #36578
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Oy. Joy Reid's not stupid, though. Before everyone starts piling on about stupid Americans just because not everyone over here knows central Europe like the back of their hands.... (This is what comes of the 24-hour news cycle; Tweeting without fact-checking.)

EDIT: Or was it the person responding to Joy Reid? I don't use Twitter (getting back to social media....)
I'm sorry, but in the era of Wikipedia and information at your fingertips, writing a stupid thing like this Joy Reid did is not excusable anymore. I have no idea if Wyoming and Idaho border, but before I make a statement about this I just spend 10 seconds on Google.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 09:32 PM   #36579
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Slovenia or Slovakia have a smaller population and area than Missouri. Where Americans tend to think of Europe as one country, Europeans tend to underestimate the diversity of the United States. In some ways U.S. states have more jurisdiction than countries in the European Union.

For example with road planning, U.S. states can use their own environmental approval process if no federal funding is involved. But European countries all have their environmental approval process based on EU directives.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old July 22nd, 2017, 09:49 PM   #36580
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

The roadside rest area

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I'm sorry, but in the era of Wikipedia and information at your fingertips, writing a stupid thing like this Joy Reid did is not excusable anymore. I have no idea if Wyoming and Idaho border, but before I make a statement about this I just spend 10 seconds on Google.

Agreed. As I said. (Although was it her or someone responding to her?) I'm just anticipating an inevitable and predictable round of Europeans displaying their intelligence by generalizing from one person's mistake to an entire population of 300 million's intelligence.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; July 22nd, 2017 at 10:06 PM.

Tags
highways, motorways