daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2017, 04:15 AM   #36621
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

neat system

I've noticed my own (Canadian) phone has been "roaming" even sometimes while being in my own region (!) showing a different carrier. The phone stops using data and I don't dare make a call...

it is strange since if the phone picks a signal from a competing carrier (company "T"), it shows as "extended coverage" and says usage is without extra cost. But if it picks "company B" I get full "you're roaming watch out" icons...

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2017, 05:18 AM   #36622
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
neat system

I've noticed my own (Canadian) phone has been "roaming" even sometimes while being in my own region (!) showing a different carrier. The phone stops using data and I don't dare make a call...

it is strange since if the phone picks a signal from a competing carrier (company "T"), it shows as "extended coverage" and says usage is without extra cost. But if it picks "company B" I get full "you're roaming watch out" icons...

I used to get notices that I was roaming, but that doesn't mean you'll be charged for it....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 03:43 PM   #36623
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6792

The domestic roaming is connected with that the operators share their base station between each other.

In Poland it began when a new operator Play Mobile entered the marked dominated by three companies in 2007. Because building whole new infrastructure, base stations covering the whole country, would be costly, they decided to make an agreement with one of the existing operators (Plus GSM), so that they will be able to use their infrastructure. This is domestic roaming. The phone shows the "R" letter next to the signal strength indicator and warns that using roaming may cost you something, but in fact it doesn't change anything and you are charged as in the Play own network. The only thing is that the possibility of using mobile data is somehow limited in the non-Play network. For sure if you have a data-only SIM, you can use it only in the Play own network, not in the domestic roaming.

Later some other smaller networks appeared, which have base stations only and sell their capacity to other operators (they don't have any offer for normal people), two operators: T-Mobile and Orange started to share the capacity of their base stations between each other and build new common ones together. And Play changed the network the coverage they use in domestic roaming from Plus to Orange (now the Plus coverage is used only if there is no Orange signal and it's weak). So Play advertises itself that they have the coverage of four networks, even though it's not fully truth.

By the way, I noticed that in many countries of the former Yugoslavia, or in Hungary, the former national telephone operators are now owned by the Deutsche Telekom (the German national telephone operator). In Poland it's France Telecom.

I also noticed that while telephone booths and public payphones are practically unseen in Poland any more (although there were still quite common just a few years ago, and they were present practically everywhere, say, 10 years ago), they are still quite frequent (although it's practically unseen that someone uses them, and I think it might be difficult to buy a card for them) in some other countries, like Germany, Italy or Hungary. I am not sure whether in Germany or in Hungary, but I have even seen once someone using it something like a year ago.

I remember the time when I was at the Baltic Sea in Poland for the first time, something like 15 years ago. It was still before cell phones became popular. There were so many public phones at the pedestrian street along the beach, and I remember waiting in a queue to one of them...

Penn's Woods, Verso liked this post
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 05:16 PM   #36624
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

There have been reports that roaming users are significantly throttled since the new rules went into effect. Some people report extremely slow internet speeds even on 4G. One guy did a speed test with his Dutch sim in Italy: <1 mbit. With an Italian sim on the same phone and network: 27 mbit. According to reports it occurs with all home providers and on any foreign provider network, so it is a roaming issue.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 07:28 PM   #36625
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There have been reports that roaming users are significantly throttled since the new rules went into effect. Some people report extremely slow internet speeds even on 4G. One guy did a speed test with his Dutch sim in Italy: <1 mbit. With an Italian sim on the same phone and network: 27 mbit. According to reports it occurs with all home providers and on any foreign provider network, so it is a roaming issue.
I experienced it as well. In fact, the internet was completely out. Strange enough on another phone with the same provider on the same plan on the roaming service from the same foreign provider the internet worked just fine.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 09:04 PM   #36626
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 797

So the most domestic operators are obviously not following the new rules and they are restricting data to foreign cards from another roam at home countries. Is it like they are only restricting the speeds for download or they completely cut out data.
I read that if you don't use your card back at home, when going abroad and only using it there it is considered as abuse and can be cut off. So I wonder if these cases are actually abuses.
Then maybe its good idea to take some cheap pre-paid cards when traveling, instead of buying one and then to be used as roam-at-home service whenever going abroad.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 09:25 PM   #36627
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Hungarian cell phone users reported the same, especially (but not only) in Germany. On the contrary, I had no problem in Hungary, using my German SIM.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 12:40 PM   #36628
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've noticed that Google Maps is highly unreliable for long-distance route planning. Its algorithm is based on historical data of traffic congestion. However that does not take into account construction zones that exist for 3-6 months and peak holiday traffic during weekends.

So Google Maps thinks that on long routes (300+ km) traffic congestion will disappear before you get to a bottleneck, because that's the historic average.

If you plot a route from Ulm to Innsbruck, Google Maps takes you across the Fernpass in Austria. But when you zoom in, there are significant delays on that route, 1.5+ hours to get past Füssen and Reutte plus another half hour between Ulm and Memmingen, putting the total delay to 2+ hours. Yet Google Maps does not suggest to take a different route, because it forecasts that the congestion will be gone by the time you get there, because that's the average situation. But a Saturday or Sunday in July is not an average situation.

Currently, Google Maps says that on the Ulm - Innsbruck route, there is only a 39 minute delay. But if you zoom in on the individual traffic jams, the accumulated delay is more than 2 hours.
Old July 30th, 2017, 07:46 PM   #36629
Kanadzie

Google Maps is so weak for this compared to Waze, though the Waze alerts often are out of date as well...
Old July 30th, 2017, 08:29 PM   #36630
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6792

An interesting situation on a road (a village street):

A combine harvester is pulling up onto a field (on which it will start working), but I drove a few hundred metres behind it. And it took the whole road width

What if someone drives from the opposite direction, and there is no space for the combine to pull up?

A short time before, I was passing a combine harvester driving from the opposite (by the way, it was a Polish-produced Bison), but it was on a wider road. I had to move maximally to the right, and the combine operator to his right.

By the way, on left you can see a barn with an asbestos roof. It's still quite a common view on the Polish countryside.
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:17 PM   #36631
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Dutch people love to watch trucks:

Returning trucks from the TruckStar truck festival in Assen. This photo was taken 80 kilometers south on A28 near Zwolle. All bridges and roadsides are full of people watching 2200 trucks driving by.

Switzerland does not approve.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kpc21, Penn's Woods liked this post
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #36632
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Switzerland is probably the most truck-hating country in Europe/world. i don't know a single carrier (And i know them a lot) who drove to Switzerland, and didn't have problems with height measuring.
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:34 PM   #36633
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Switzerland is probably the most truck-hating country in Europe/world. i don't know a single carrier (And i know them a lot) who drove to Switzerland, and didn't have problems with height measuring.
And also weight measurement. Not only about trucks, but also RVs. Switzerland is a major concern for Europeans RV amateurs, as a full-loaded RV can easily weight more than its legal max of 3.5 tons.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:37 PM   #36634
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Then you need to pay the truck toll. Ouch!
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:37 PM   #36635
Kanadzie

it's kind of interesting that they enforce weight restrictions on RV

In North America typically just trucks (i.e. commercial cargo-carrying vehicles) are restricted, but a RV can sail past anytime with anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post

A combine harvester is pulling up onto a field (on which it will start working), but I drove a few hundred metres behind it. And it took the whole road width

What if someone drives from the opposite direction, and there is no space for the combine to pull up?
I always drive on some roads like this across farm fields, and one farmer has this large tractor, like very large... wheels maybe 2.5 or 3 m diameter (!) and the ground clearance very large, so much that I wonder instead of trying to pass if I can just drive straight underneath Like that Chinese meme-bus...

So far each time I see him, he's going the opposite way, but if I catch him in my way maybe I'll try it

Kpc21 liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:40 PM   #36636
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
By the way, on left you can see a barn with an asbestos roof. It's still quite a common view on the Polish countryside.
Asbestos is a serious issue also there. In Italy it was legally commercialized unyil the early 1990s, although its toxicity has been scientifically known for decades. Italy was also an asbestos producer, so thousands of workers died due to lung cancer. After 25 years of ban, there are is plenty of buildings containing it. Removing and disposing it require complex and very costly safety procedures.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:43 PM   #36637
italystf

Quote:
Then you need to pay the truck toll. Ouch!
It's much worse than that. If a vehicle isn't registered to weight more than 3.5 tons and it's found weighting more (I don't know if there's a tolerance), it's stopped and not allowed to drive. Also, most RV drivers in Europe only have B-category driving license, that forbids driving vehicles weighting more than 3.5 tons.
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:44 PM   #36638
Kanadzie

serious is a bit questionable

Asbestos dust from friable sources is highly hazardous to lungs as we know. The material itself isn't toxic, just its form is injurious (sharp, small "needle" like fibres)

But "asbestos concrete" roof has the fibres held quite strongly in the concrete matrix. As long as some idiot doesn't try to "wash" with a pressure washer, or the like, it doesn't pose any hazard. Probably the worst hazard would be trying to remove the roof and replacing it. It's much different from situations like asbestos brake linings that create dust that the mechanic then sprays away with compressed air
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:45 PM   #36639
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
it's kind of interesting that they enforce weight restrictions on RV
Some travellers reported having being pulled over till a truck scale.
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:48 PM   #36640
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 797

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Asbestos is a serious issue also there. In Italy it was legally commercialized unyil the early 1990s, although its toxicity has been scientifically known for decades. Italy was also an asbestos producer, so thousands of workers died due to lung cancer. After 25 years of ban, there are is plenty of buildings containing it. Removing and disposing it require complex and very costly safety procedures.
Asbestos was mainly used in the communist countries during the Cold Era, because it was produced massively and it was relatively cheap material. During the communist time all the houses land was state owned and for example in my town all the houses roofs were asbestos. Today there are some programs for dropping off that material and with some kind of municipality/state help for those who can't pay on their own.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways