daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2017, 11:49 PM   #36641
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
serious is a bit questionable

Asbestos dust from friable sources is highly hazardous to lungs as we know. The material itself isn't toxic, just its form is injurious (sharp, small "needle" like fibres)

But "asbestos concrete" roof has the fibres held quite strongly in the concrete matrix. As long as some idiot doesn't try to "wash" with a pressure washer, or the like, it doesn't pose any hazard. Probably the worst hazard would be trying to remove the roof and replacing it.
Those roofs were probably safe when they were installed and were in a good shape. But now, after 25-50 years, they are degradating, releasing the toxic dust into air. Before removing it, workers have to wear a gas mask and paint the roof to prevent dust to be released. Then, they have to remove the tiles without breaking them. Finally, the material is packed with plastic foil and disposed in special landfills. Legal removal of few square meters can cost thousands of euros.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2017, 11:43 AM   #36642
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Switzerland is a major concern for Europeans RV amateurs, as a full-loaded RV can easily weight more than its legal max of 3.5 tons.
According to some discussions, Sweden is quite keen in weighing RVs and giving expensive paper slips to drivers. The weight limit is somewhat problematic in the North, because the isolation and heating increase the weight.

A B-class driving licence entitles to drive a 3500 kg car plus a trailer of up to 750 kg. Coupling a trailer, however, typically increases ferry ticket prices and road toll fees.

The B-class licence can be upgraded to B96 or BE. B96: Car max 3500 kg, trailer can exceed 750 kg, max total mass 4250 kg. BE: Car and trailer both max 3500 kg.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 06:33 PM   #36643
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Removing and disposing it require complex and very costly safety procedures.
Actually, from what I know, when it's installed somewhere, like on the roof (it was also used for thermal isolation of buildings), it's safe. A problem (and danger) appears when someone is trying to remove it in an unprofessional way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Probably the worst hazard would be trying to remove the roof and replacing it.
Yes. They always say e.g. on TV that you should hire professionals for that, never do it on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
During the communist time all the houses land was state owned and for example in my town all the houses roofs were asbestos.
Not so bad in Poland. The communists never managed to nationalize the farming, because it was them who finally gave land to peasants here and they would have to meet much opposition if they did so. It would finally happen if the system continued, but it would need very much time.

They were creating national farms, called PGR (Państwowe Gospodarstwo Rolne - I think it can be translated just as State Farm), similar to the Soviet "kolchoz", or rather "sovchoz" farms, but there wasn't so many of them, and definitely the vast majority of the agriculture was based on small farms based on a single farmer (former peasant) and his family. And it's still so. There were also cooperatives, within which the farmers could rent farming machinery, like combine harvesters for example, but I'm not sure if they had something to do with the PGR farms, or it was a different thing. I didn't live in those times.

Most of those PGR farms went bankrupt in the 1990s.

People were also, normally, building private houses, especially in the suburbs and in smaller towns. You could get a free (if I am not wrong) loan for that from the state company you worked for. Again, I am not sure, but from what I know, with this loan, you could build a house only from a ready-made design, without any changes. And the availability of materials for the house construction was a big problem.

But private houses were, of course, built, it's not like you could only live in a commie block.

And... you can also find commie blocks built in the countryside. They are usually small, and if I am not mistaken, they had something to do with the PGR farms.

Here an example: https://goo.gl/maps/W1moSawSGkC2 (of course, it didn't originally have those colors, it's a result of adding thermal isolation based on styrofoam, probably after 2000).

Here is one of typical private houses built in the communist Poland: https://goo.gl/maps/UTvj79thi5w

A new house (or an old one modernized very much) and... a barn with asbestos roof behind: https://goo.gl/maps/HzrqbwLwsWk

The landscape of the Polish countryside consists of many new houses too.

Or here - seems like an old house (built out of bricks) extended very much in the recent times with lightweight aggregate blocks (supposedly this is their English name, the Polish name is just "pustak", which comes from that they have empty spaces ("puste" - empty) inside): https://goo.gl/maps/UxkGkb5h7kr

Just a... wooden barn: https://goo.gl/maps/hDqLHuxfVZE2 - you see them often too

Wooden houses in the countryside: https://goo.gl/maps/1194avo94RT2 are rare in this part of Poland, although you see them more often in the east.

It's different in different countries, but the Polish countryside is the exact opposite of the countryside in Germany. In Germany there is no villages like in Poland. A German village is a miniature town. There are densely packed houses next to each other within the given area. A typical Polish village is a chain of loosely located houses with little farms behind. Often divided by fields.

Another typical Polish communist house unit: https://goo.gl/maps/EzyGfJBj3RB2 - built privately, but from a ready-made design.

With the driving license classes (we call them categories) in Poland, an interesting thing is that with a B category license you can drive a farming tractor on public road, but... you cannot pull a trailer, because tractor trailers are typically heavier than 750 kg. You need either a special T category driving license, or B+E. I haven't heard about it before (nor during my driving course, which was in 2013), but it seems that from January 2013, we also have the B96 category. The mass of the car and the trailer together must be not more than 4250 kg and the mass of the car must be 33% greater than the mass of the trailer. For B96 you must pass an extra exam, but you don't need an extra driving course, like for B+E.

Last edited by Kpc21; July 31st, 2017 at 06:41 PM.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 08:01 PM   #36644
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post

Not so bad in Poland. The communists never managed to nationalize the farming, because it was them who finally gave land to peasants here and they would have to meet much opposition if they did so. It would finally happen if the system continued, but it would need very much time.
I understand, but I was speaking about city and town houses. They for example were private, but the land that belonged to the house was only state owned. It was the same with the commie units as they were again state owned and they were given to ordinary people by the state companies for which they worked.

Quote:
It's different in different countries, but the Polish countryside is the exact opposite of the countryside in Germany. In Germany there is no villages like in Poland. A German village is a miniature town. There are densely packed houses next to each other within the given area. A typical Polish village is a chain of loosely located houses with little farms behind. Often divided by fields.
I know this I have seen it, it is very similar to Balkan countries because after almost 50 years of communist hand the difference is quite obvious when compared with some western countries. I guess it has to do with the gdp per capita and maybe the municipalities have less money to maintain the infrastructure.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 08:18 PM   #36645
Kpc21

I think it has more to do with the people mentality. Germans like order, so they have such a kind of villages. Even in the former DDR (East Germany). In Poland it's also a historical matter, of that here small farms of the "single farmer with his family" type dominate, and in the western Europe very big farms are more common.

Talking about infrastructure, it's cheaper to maintain it in the German system, with "mini-town" villages, than in the one which is in Poland.

In Poland, the land under private detached houses e.g. in the suburbs was always private. Talking about tenement houses in cities and towns - I am not sure about how it was in the past, but currently the cities have problems, because they often belong to multiple owners, some of whom are unknown, live abroad and are not interesting in doing anything with the house etc. So even if the city has some shares in such a house, it cannot renovate it or invest in it in any other way.

By the way, a case from my neighborhood. In a nearby village there is an old manor house with a park. It belonged to someone before the WW2, it was nationalized after the war. They placed a school there, and in the manor house, there were offices and dorms. After it was damaged by fire, it was no longer used, but it still exists. Recently, the old owners wanted to recover it - but it turned out they can't get it back for free, because it was nationalized according to the law which was valid in that time - fully legally. So, they simply bought it out. It's good - maybe they will renovate it.

Junkie liked this post

Last edited by Kpc21; July 31st, 2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old July 31st, 2017, 10:07 PM   #36646
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Do you have your mobile phones rooted? My mobile lost its warranty two years ago and I am really thinking about that.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 10:37 PM   #36647
Kpc21

Just now not, I unrooted it when I had problems with doing a system update. And I didn't need the root later (ok, it's sometimes useful, but I didn't need it very much and I was too lazy to do it).

But the system update doesn't work anyway, I think it's just a feature of this phone that the automatic update is not working.

But there is a phone in my family - Asus one - on which it was impossible to remove a whole mass of crap applications without rooting it.
Old July 31st, 2017, 11:57 PM   #36648
MattiG

Quote:
With the driving license classes (we call them categories) in Poland, an interesting thing is that with a B category license you can drive a farming tractor on public road, but... you cannot pull a trailer, because tractor trailers are typically heavier than 750 kg. You need either a special T category driving license, or B+E.
Are you sure? The EU-harmonized B licence allows the trailer to exceed 750 kg if the mass of the combination does not exceed 3500 kg.

Sentilj liked this post
Old August 1st, 2017, 02:19 AM   #36649
Kpc21

A tractor with a trailer might be more than 3500 kg.

One of the most popular tractors in Poland - Ursus C-330 - has the mass of 2240 kg. Another one (of the two most popular ones) - Ursus C-360 - has 2955 kg. So there is no much space for the weight of the trailer (we are talking about the maximum allowed load, not about the load at the given moment) pulled by the tractor.

I believe, a modern tractor may be even over 3500 kg on its own.

Last edited by Kpc21; August 1st, 2017 at 02:28 AM.
Old August 1st, 2017, 10:58 AM   #36650
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Do you have your mobile phones rooted? My mobile lost its warranty two years ago and I am really thinking about that.
when i was using iPhone, i had it jailbroken, even if it was still under the warranty. i knew what i was doing there, it was so simple to use.
with Android i am still on "You mister" so i don't have it rooted, and I'm not sure that i will.
Old August 1st, 2017, 12:03 PM   #36651
MattiG

Quote:
A tractor with a trailer might be more than 3500 kg.

One of the most popular tractors in Poland - Ursus C-330 - has the mass of 2240 kg. Another one (of the two most popular ones) - Ursus C-360 - has 2955 kg. So there is no much space for the weight of the trailer (we are talking about the maximum allowed load, not about the load at the given moment) pulled by the tractor.

I believe, a modern tractor may be even over 3500 kg on its own.
Of course. But the limiting factor is the weight of the tractor, not the weight of the trailer.

BTW, at least in Finland, the B licence implies the T license. Thus, the B licence entitles to drive any tractor having the max speed at most 40 km/h. This may vary across the EU countries, because it is subject to the local legislation.
Old August 1st, 2017, 03:35 PM   #36652
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Quote:
I'm usually on a two-year contract, typically with a phone one generation older than the newest model to keep the cost down. I don't want a € 700+ phone.

I usually renew the contract every 2 years with a new phone, the main reason being the battery degradation. I currently have a 1 year old Samsung Galaxy S6 but I can already see the battery life being reduced.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 06:22 PM   #36653
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The GRX Hub in Amsterdam handles international data traffic as part of the Amsterdam Internet Exchange, one of the biggest internet hubs in the world.

It shows a significant growth of data usage since roaming fees were abolished in June, going from 25 Gbit/s last summer to 80 Gbit/s this summer.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist liked this post
Old August 1st, 2017, 10:04 PM   #36654
TrojaA
ß-Retter

Likes (Received): 341

!

That's an impressive increase in traffic!
Meanwhile the DE-CIX (the largest IXP by peak traffic) doesn't show any major increase:

I couldn't find any longterm statictics for ECIX, but there is also no press release stating anything like that of AMS-IX.
TrojaA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2017, 10:50 AM   #36655
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A driver was caught transporting to two lighting poles on its roof.

* the light poles were stolen
* the driver was under the influence of alcohol
* the car was uninsured
* the inspection was past its date
* the man's driver's license was revoked last year
* the man was also wanted for not paying for fuel
* his car was impounded
* the man was arrested

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Alex_ZR, keokiracer, Kpc21, g.spinoza liked this post
Old August 2nd, 2017, 12:18 PM   #36656
8166UY

Likes (Received): 294

Quote:
Since PM'ing on this site doesn't seem to work...

I've got quite a bit of experience. Put a custom ROM on 9 phones and 2 tablets so far as I recall (plus a PSP, PS3, etcetera). Short story is that the risk and difficulty really depends on the model. Sony's generally are a challenge, Nexus phones are a breeze.

You don't have to root (= direct connection to the kernel) the phone with most custom ROM's, just unlock the bootloader and install a different recovery (= a BIOS more or less). So unless you are planning to do very specific things it's not worth the extra security risk.

If you want help, just PM me here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=6417298

It's the site on the internet with the most knowledge about android modification, so having an account for when you have other questions, or just want to try other stuff, is recommended anyway.
8166UY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2017, 04:50 PM   #36657
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
* the light poles were stolen
* the driver was under the influence of alcohol
* the car was uninsured
* the inspection was past its date
* the man's driver's license was revoked last year
* the man was also wanted for not paying for fuel
* his car was impounded
* the man was arrested
And the poles were protruding too much in front and behind the car, against the road law.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 06:58 PM   #36658
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9122

I'm only waiting for one thing in that case: that driver came to Holland from Poland.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2017, 07:57 PM   #36659
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Two Poles driving two poles...

Kanadzie, g.spinoza liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2017, 08:03 PM   #36660
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7710

Hahaha, I was just gonna ask - was the driver Polish by any chance?
CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways