daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2017, 08:07 PM   #36661
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6782

In the Polish SSC section we are also wondering about that
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2017, 01:51 AM   #36662
grykaerugoves
In the brig

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A driver was caught transporting to two lighting poles on its roof.

* the light poles were stolen
* the driver was under the influence of alcohol
* the car was uninsured
* the inspection was past its date
* the man's driver's license was revoked last year
* the man was also wanted for not paying for fuel
* his car was impounded
* the man was arrested

Sooooo..... what happens on a roundabout?
grykaerugoves no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 02:45 AM   #36663
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

kind of a Jackie Chan-like attack
Old August 3rd, 2017, 02:22 PM   #36664
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
A driver was caught transporting to two lighting poles on its roof.

* the light poles were stolen
* the driver was under the influence of alcohol
* the car was uninsured
* the inspection was past its date
* the man's driver's license was revoked last year
* the man was also wanted for not paying for fuel
* his car was impounded
* the man was arrested

He was only practising for the motorised version of Fierljeppen.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 05:18 PM   #36665
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 793

He must have been Polish

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 06:59 PM   #36666
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21245

Greetings from my new home in Bergen, Norway. I have a direct view from above to E39

Highway89, DanielFigFoz, g.spinoza liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 07:11 PM   #36667
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

You live on Flyfjellet now?

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 11:46 AM   #36668
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

I have recently noticed that our drivers have a lot of problems in terms of two traffic rules:

First is the priority to pedestrians walking along the straight direction while turning left or right, especially if the intersection is controlled by traffic lights and both motorized vehicles and pedestrians have the green light ahead. In such case (if I am not mistaken) according to the Vienna convention on road traffic, a pedestrian has the priority. This is clear insofar as the green light for pedestrians is on. Once it turns red, some drivers tend to honk at the pedestrians to get out of the way (even if a pedestrian has stepped to the crossing at time the green was on).

In more sophisticated intersections (with no collision signal phases) controlled by traffic lights, there is usually so called clearing period for pedestrians, meaning that even though the pedestrian gets a red light, he may calmly pass the pedestrian crossing since some time before cars get green is granted. The time for clearing period is calculated for a person with limited moving ability (2kph) stepping onto the crossing right at the time of turning to the red light.

This should be respected by drives in the case I describe above.

The second problem (very similiar) is section marked with this pair of signs:

Indeed, a car facing the first sign is supposed to give way to a car facing the second one. But sometimes it happen (when you are facing the first one) that the way is clear and you enter the narrow road and just at that time the ongoing car appear. What are you supposed to do except to finish the move? But only you can finish it if does the car that have formally right of way respect the fact you have not seen it. Rarely is that respected here and sometimes the topping on the ice is an ongoing driver who deliberately enters the narrow passage, block it and make you reverse.

What about you country?

Kpc21 liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 12:03 PM   #36669
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18303

afaik in Romania, pedestrians have no right to cross the street outside of special markings for them (zebra crossings) or at street corners.
What I was taught is that pedestrians have no priority while crossing at street corners at all.

This is very different to how it is in Germany, where pedestrians have priority when crossing straight from vehicles turning left or right at them, and also here in Germany, they can cross almost everywhere.
In Romania you will get fined if you do that...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 12:17 PM   #36670
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
afaik in Romania, pedestrians have no right to cross the street outside of special markings for them (zebra crossings) or at street corners.
What I was taught is that pedestrians have no priority while crossing at street corners at all.

This is very different to how it is in Germany, where pedestrians have priority when crossing straight from vehicles turning left or right at them, and also here in Germany, they can cross almost everywhere.
I meant this case:

You have simple green light and you are allowed to turn wherever you intend to. But let's imagine you are turning left - the pedestrians on the left have the green light too - you are supposed to give them way. But very often it happens that the pedestrian traffic lights turn red when pedestrians are in the middle of zebra crossing - drivers seem not to understand that.

Here a pedestrian is allowed to cross the road everywhere (except it is not a motorway or expressway), but should use pedestrian crossing where they have priority.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 12:38 PM   #36671
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21245

Quote:
You live on Flyfjellet now?

''
No, I live on the other side of the Floyfjellstunel!

Last edited by Suburbanist; August 4th, 2017 at 12:49 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 01:17 PM   #36672
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I have recently noticed that our drivers have a lot of problems in terms of two traffic rules:

First is the priority to pedestrians walking along the straight direction while turning left or right, especially if the intersection is controlled by traffic lights and both motorized vehicles and pedestrians have the green light ahead. In such case (if I am not mistaken) according to the Vienna convention on road traffic, a pedestrian has the priority. This is clear insofar as the green light for pedestrians is on. Once it turns red, some drivers tend to honk at the pedestrians to get out of the way (even if a pedestrian has stepped to the crossing at time the green was on).
This should not be a problem. The green means: "The pedestrian is allowed to enter the carriageway". The red means: "The pedestrian is not allowed to enter the carriageway". There is no rule to oblige the pederstrian to cross the whole carriageway while the green is on.

Quote:
The second problem (very similiar) is section marked with this pair of signs:
The Vienna Convention text states on the sign B,5: This sign shall mean that entry into the narrow section is prohibited so long as it is not possible to pass through that section without obliging oncoming vehicles to stop.

After the entry, I do not believe there is an obligation to back up even if the oncoming vehicle appears. Shit just happens.

There is a rule in the Finnish legislation applicable to the road masters: Those signs are allowed to be used only when the whole narrow section is visible from both directions.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 05:44 PM   #36673
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post

In Poland, you are allowed to cross the road in places without zebra and out of street corners only if it's more than 100 m to the nearest zebra, the street is not double-carriageway and has no separated lane for trams (the last two rules hold only in built-up areas). Only if there is no subway below or bridge above the street for the pedestrians.

There is a place where I often cross the road: https://goo.gl/maps/RYUng6KgPMA2
In this photo, this gate is closed, but the things changed and now it's the main entrance to the university campus. And the nearest grocery store, to which I sometimes go, is is just behind me, in the tax office building (it doesn't exists in the photo either - the shop, not the office).

I used to think that I do it illegally, so, for example, when the police was in the sight range, I was always waiting until they disappear. But later, a friend made me realize that it's actually more than 100 m to both nearest zebras (it's a bit more than 100 m to one on one side and a bit more than 100 m to one on the other side), so I don't have to care about the police I didn't realize before that 100 m is such a short distance.

The only problematic thing here is that the waiting time until there is no cars approaching is usually quite long. But it would the same (or more) if I went to one of the zebras (each of which has traffic lights) and I would have to walk 200 m more.

In Italy, there is also a yellow light for pedestrians. It works more or less like the blinking green light in Poland - it's quite long, so it allows the pedestrians currently being at the crossing leave it. Following the rules which normally hold for cars, the pedestrian wouldn't be allowed to enter the zebra on green (unlike in Poland, where the blinking green light doesn't forbid entering the street). But the people in Italy are normally still entering the crossing on yellow. How does it actually work from the legal point of view?

In Poland, if a car turns right, its driver is obliged to give way to the pedestrians (and cyclists) going forward. If it turns left, too, but then it's more obvious, as he gives way also to the cars from the opposite direction.
Old August 4th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #36674
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
In Italy, there is also a yellow light for pedestrians. It works more or less like the blinking green light in Poland - it's quite long, so it allows the pedestrians currently being at the crossing leave it. Following the rules which normally hold for cars, the pedestrian wouldn't be allowed to enter the zebra on green (unlike in Poland, where the blinking green light doesn't forbid entering the street). But the people in Italy are normally still entering the crossing on yellow. How does it actually work from the legal point of view?
Judges in Italy tend to protect pedestrians. If a pedestrian crosses with red and gets hit by a vehicle, which has obviously green light, the driver is still responsible and liable. The only extenuating circumstance is, if the pedestrian behaved unpredictably.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 06:05 PM   #36675
Kpc21

Like probably every country in the world. Even in Poland it's not allowed to hit or drive over a pedestrian even if he is present illegally on the roadway, you definitely can go to jail for that, especially if you kill him. But the pedestrians are often fined if they go on the street illegally - enter the roadway out of zebra with the special conditions not satisfied, enter the roadway on red etc.

I have even seen a pedestrian being fined here: https://goo.gl/maps/MvbLD7rUBWA2 - when there was green through both roadways for cars, but red through the tram/bus lane. Even though there was no bus or tram in the view range.
Old August 4th, 2017, 06:57 PM   #36676
Kpc21

Tempo-30 zone in Poznań:

Old August 5th, 2017, 07:09 PM   #36677
Kpc21

Do you know any places - in the world or in your countries - where the traffic direction on the middle line is controlled by traffic lights (such a lane is marked with double dashed lines)?

In Poland it's either extremely rare, or it doesn't exist. But our law predicts such a possibility, the double dashed line is the road sign P-5 here.

Supposedly, such a solution was tested in Żywiec:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
P-5 kiedyś była na moście DW946 w Żywcu ale pomysł nie wypalił.

Old August 5th, 2017, 07:21 PM   #36678
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Avinguda Diagonal in Barcelona is pretty famous:

It's also used on some bridges, for example the Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver:
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 08:22 PM   #36679
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Do you know any places - in the world or in your countries - where the traffic direction on the middle line is controlled by traffic lights (such a lane is marked with double dashed lines)?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reversible_lane

Germany has reversible lanes on the Strelasund Crossing (B96 to Rgen) and on B37 east of Heidelberg.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 08:50 PM   #36680
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1185

In Spain we also have the SE-30 bridge in Seville: https://goo.gl/maps/hWPhV9Q11Qk

And the Carranza bridge in Cdiz: https://goo.gl/maps/9xFcRwhjNjw
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways