daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 5th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #36681
d29

Likes (Received): 70

In my area we have it here for abt 2 km:
https://goo.gl/maps/Nbde38swbso

It was a good idea.
d29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #36682
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

It can seriously increase capacity compared to a two-lane road, especially on routes with a strong tidal flow.

For example the Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver carries 60,000 vehicles per day which is about twice the volume a highly saturated two-lane road would carry. There aren't many two laners with volumes substantially over 30,000. In some countries 10,000 - 15,000 is already reason enough to go for four lanes or even motorway
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 10:12 PM   #36683
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6794

The only thing is that it may get dangerous when the traffic lights do not work.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #36684
Kpc21

I have found this place in Romania: https://goo.gl/maps/iaD4vmYfk3H2

Here, the usage of the middle lane is determined by means of vertical signs.

So why are double dashed lines used instead of just a normal double continuous line on one side and single dashed line on the other side?
Old August 5th, 2017, 10:56 PM   #36685
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

I'm copying with relentless rain for days in a row. At least drainage works pretty well here in Bergen. The strange thing is how localized heavy rainfall is around here, one small inlet has just light rain, cross a tunnel, a downpour on the other side.

The nice side of rain is plenty of small waterfalls that appear whenever it rains near my house. The vegetation is quite lush for the latitude. Buildings seldom have carpet, for obvious reasons.

They want me to do an official and expensive eye exam before they convert my Dutch driving license into a Norwegian one.

In a different light, it feels a little bad to live outside EU territory. My online shopping possibilities were slashed by 80%. Banking is more complicated as well.

Other than that, everything else is great around here in Bergen.

g.spinoza liked this post

Last edited by Suburbanist; August 5th, 2017 at 11:17 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 11:11 PM   #36686
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They have a lot of rain in Southwest Norway this weekend. If you want good weather forecast, yr.no is probably better than most weather websites which use GFS weather model output. The Norwegian topography causes wild fluctuations in weather over short distances. There are some valleys around Gudbrandsdalen that receive less than 300 mm of precipitation per year - comparable with Southeast Spain.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist liked this post
Old August 5th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #36687
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They have a lot of rain in Southwest Norway this weekend. If you want good weather forecast, yr.no is probably better than most weather websites which use GFS weather model output. The Norwegian topography causes wild fluctuations in weather over short distances. There are some valleys around Gudbrandsdalen that receive less than 300 mm of precipitation per year - comparable with Southeast Spain.
Thanks, I will check that out!
I'm trying to find the Norwegian equivalent of BuitenAlarm, which was surprisingly accurate for very short term rain forecast in the Netherlands.

They use porous asphalt here but it looks different than the mix commonly seen on Dutch highways. Interestingly, they also use porous asphalt for many sidewalks as well, which is the first time I've seen such thing. It works great, even though rain is pouring everything drains and there are no puddles to step into. Impressed so far.
Old August 6th, 2017, 04:51 AM   #36688
bogdymol
bogdymod

How does porous asphalt work in winter time, when water inside freezes and expands? Usually this makes the asphalt crack and so potholes appear...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 11:52 AM   #36689
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Netherlands uses porous asphalt pretty much on the entire motorway system.

Porous asphalt can withstand the frost-thaw cycle, but it becomes quite vulnerable at the end of its life cycle. If the top layer needs resurfacing in 12 years you better not wait with resurfacing until the 13th year. Adequate maintenance is key.

Also, they need to clean the pores from time to time to keep the drainage and noise reducing capabilities. Some jurisdictions only apply porous pavement at the beginning and wait until it becomes a lunar landscape before replacing it. That doesn't work. Also, they need to seriously clean the pavement after a fuel spill. The Netherlands uses special pavement cleaners for that.
Old August 6th, 2017, 01:51 PM   #36690
bogdymol
bogdymod

Special pavement cleaners, resurfacing done on time etc. Sounds expensive!
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 02:10 PM   #36691
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, it is expensive indeed, but it also saves money; there are much less noise barriers needed. It also reduces congestion, in particular during rain. There is no splash even during heavy rain and that greatly improves traffic flow, especially in the Netherlands where you have many four lane motorways with 80,000+ vehicles per day. In some other countries they don't have porous asphalt and you can't see a thing during rain.
Old August 6th, 2017, 02:12 PM   #36692
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Germany has reversible lanes on the Strelasund Crossing (B96 to Rügen) and on B37 east of Heidelberg.
The system in Heidelberg on B37/K710 was deactivated in June 2016 and removed last month; the road is now permanent 2 inbound, 1 outbound. The eastern half of the reversible lane was converted to a permanent bus lane about 10 years before that, shortening the actual switchable part to only around 500m length.

B39 in Walldorf near Heidelberg used to have one that at rush hour was consistently gridlocked for decades. Fully replaced by an entirely new 2+2 road 200m further south around 2010.

B212 in Bremerhaven got a new reversible lane system in 2010. B5 in Berlin (Heerstraße) has one since 1970, renewed in 2003 with federal money (because it's a B road... nevermind that everyone else has to pay for it themselves...) and mostly known for occasionally failing. There's a couple smaller local systems too.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 05:05 PM   #36693
Kpc21

They even have Street View in Berlin: https://goo.gl/maps/sLFmL9tcuSC2 (which is rather uncommon in Germany, Germans don't like Street View, they claim it's against privacy).

But, interestingly, it uses single dashed lines, not double dashed ones.
Old August 7th, 2017, 12:50 AM   #36694
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Pretty much all major German cities have Streetview. Very old Streetview from like 2008/2009.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 01:36 AM   #36695
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
They even have Street View in Berlin: https://goo.gl/maps/sLFmL9tcuSC2 (which is rather uncommon in Germany, Germans don't like Street View, they claim it's against privacy).

But, interestingly, it uses single dashed lines, not double dashed ones.
https://www.google.pl/maps/@52.50909...7i13312!8i6656
This street is considered an expressway??!!
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 01:52 AM   #36696
Kpc21

The original meaning of this sign was a car-only (motor-vehicle-only) road. In some countries it was changed to mean an expressway, so a "worse" kind of motorway, but originally it meant just this. A road for motor vehicles only. Maybe it's still so in Germany.
Old August 7th, 2017, 07:11 PM   #36697
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
https://www.google.pl/maps/@52.50909...7i13312!8i6656
This street is considered an expressway??!!
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraftfahrstra%C3%9Fe

The sign indicates a road which is restricted to cars which can officially drive faster than 60km/h, have a maximum height of 4m and a maximum width of 2.55m (2.6m if it is a refrigerated truck).

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 07:39 PM   #36698
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Fighting between a car driver and a PT driver in Rome, after the car driver did an U-turn in front of the bus and the bus driver went crazy.

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:48 PM   #36699
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Guys, I have a little problem with my car.

Yesterday it was a subject of a small accident (a lady reversed into my rear bumper and announced over an acoustic system in a mall I was shopping). Today I was struggling with an insurance application and it asked for the manufacture year. I am sure my car was made in 2017 but just for sure I looked up how to check the manufacture year. It is through VIN.

I used several decoders and all went erratic with message "the year is now known - an "O" must not be at tenth position of VIN. I checked it and realized that indeed my VIN includes an O. I also checked the VIN in my car (under the front passenger seat) and it was the same.

It should be a problem, should not?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:50 PM   #36700
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Have you tried checking the same VIN with a 0 (zero) instead of an O?
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways