daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2017, 03:14 PM   #36741
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I bought myself a pair of polarised glasses which I use mostly for driving. I don't see any reflection in my windshield, plus it reduces the sun glare from other cars or water. It works so good that I bought also a polarised filter for my photo camera.
I have a pair, too.

Funny thing is, with them on I barely can see the screen of my smartphone, and I can't see anything on gas pump's LED displays.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2017, 10:54 PM   #36742
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I have a pair, too.

Funny thing is, with them on I barely can see the screen of my smartphone, and I can't see anything on gas pump's LED displays.
Me too

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2017, 11:37 PM   #36743
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

About car crashes, my long lived car ended its life when my brother encountered someone going too fast on an unpaved road. He managed to avoid a frontal collision, but the left side was badly damaged. So, from now I'll be travelling in a van, a Citron Berlingo to be exact. It has been registered as a car, so I won't lose 12 minutes every 120 km on a motorway as I was afraid initially.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 12:28 AM   #36744
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Me too
What if you rotate the smartphone by 90 degrees, so that it's oriented horizontally?
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 01:52 AM   #36745
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

probably the screen is also polarized the other way
I've had that several times... even on cars (e.g. head's up displays)
Old August 18th, 2017, 09:03 AM   #36746
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I've thought that non-polarized sunglasses are only good to spoil your vision.
Polarized sunglasses and LCD displays are an impossible combination. That is why I use non-polarized ones while driving a car or a boat.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 09:53 AM   #36747
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Polarized sunglasses and LCD displays are an impossible combination. That is why I use non-polarized ones while driving a car or a boat.
True. However LCD displays in my cars are fully visible in my sunglasses. I have problem with my cell phone, especially if I am outside and the sunshine is strong.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #36748
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
True. However LCD displays in my cars are fully visible in my sunglasses. I have problem with my cell phone, especially if I am outside and the sunshine is strong.
I depends on the design of the screen. The sunclasses are vertically polarized. They filter all the light from horizontally polarized screens. However, some screens are polarized at 45 degrees, thus supporting both landscape and portrait mode but not at the brightest.

g.spinoza liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 08:03 PM   #36749
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1192

An accident on the A-6 in Spain caused by a tyre puncture. There are still many stretches of motorway in Spain that lack a crash barrier in the median, something which seems uncommon in the rest of Europe. Fortunately not even the truck driver was injured, according to the video description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3SjpiHzqvc

keokiracer liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 08:32 PM   #36750
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
An accident on the A-6 in Spain caused by a tyre puncture. There are still many stretches of motorway in Spain that lack a crash barrier in the median, something which seems uncommon in the rest of Europe. Fortunately not even the truck driver was injured, according to the video description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3SjpiHzqvc
Good the driver did not slow down. That increased the chance to hit something and successfully pass thru.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 08:36 PM   #36751
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

I doubt if a standard class crash barrier would've stopped that truck. Even a jersey barrier could fail (there are many crossover examples on German and Belgian motorways with jersey barriers). An earth-filled double jersey barrier can stop almost anything but even then there are examples of trucks crashing over them.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 10:34 PM   #36752
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

I hope the truck driver had his seatbelts fastened...

And it shows it's always worth fastening them, even on a bus (which could have a similar accident), which many people unfortunately don't do...
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2017, 11:05 PM   #36753
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A fire in the ExxonMobile refinery in Rotterdam:

via: https://twitter.com/marcelwout72/sta...21621778427904

Old August 22nd, 2017, 08:52 PM   #36754
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Smoke from wildfires in British Columbia has reached Europe, with plumes of smoke spanning across Europe from the North Sea into the Balkans.

I'm currently looking at a hazy sunset in the Netherlands. There are no clouds in the sky but the horizon is hazy yellow.

Satellite loop: https://www.facebook.com/severeweath...8757793347311/

NASA also noticed it: https://ozonea*****fc.nasa.gov/blogs...d-and-eastward

2017 has been the most active wildfire season in B.C. history with nearly 9,000 km burned since early July. It is the largest in total area burnt, number of evacuations and largest single fire at 4700 km. To compare, the 2016 Fort McMurray wildfire in Alberta was a nearly 6000 km fire.

August 2nd satellite image of the wildfires:
Old August 22nd, 2017, 09:06 PM   #36755
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What link was this and why does SSC block it?
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2017, 09:08 PM   #36756
ChrisZwolle
Road user

SSC has blocked some domains so they don't end up with litigation over stock photos being posted on the forums. Apparently the NASA website uses part of the same name as some stock photo company.

The missing part is QdotGS

Old August 22nd, 2017, 11:33 PM   #36757
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

Last week a massive weather front came through central and northern Poland causing huge devastation everywhere. The loss of fauna and flora may take up to 30 years to recover.

One of the members of the Polish forum who has been very active especially in drawing various road maps over the years failed to update some maps on the forums. People started asking questions - what happened ?, where the hell are the new maps ? ! It so happens that the forumer's computer fried during the weather storm. What are we to do ? People on the forum got together, opened a bank account, announced a forum-wide collection and began reporting on how much has been donated for the new equipment. So far over 2000 PLN (500 Euros).

Reminds me the time when Polish forumers got together and donated money to construct a drone to take better pictures of highways and expressways. It worked very well - tons of money was donated, the drone was built and started making highway movies

DanielFigFoz, Alex_ZR liked this post
ufonut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017, 01:07 PM   #36758
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Beach-bound congestion in southern Netherlands and Belgium. Today may be the best day of the whole summer which has been very low-key thus far.

The temperatures in the Netherlands have exceeded 25C on only a few days in July. May-June actually had better summer weather than the traditional summer months of July-August.

25C or over is considered a 'summer day' in the Netherlands. The average July-August high is 23C, though temperatures of 25-30C are normal in the Dutch summer, but not for weeks on end, which results in a lower 30-year average of 23C. However the summer of 2017 hasn't had a lot of 'summer days'. Including today likely only 6 for July-August with none over 30C, which is significantly below average.

The weather is not terrible, but it's just not stable, 22C, scattered clouds and a strong wind is not considered real summer weather for many people. August had only 1 day with more than 2/3rds of possible daily sunshine.

Old August 23rd, 2017, 01:41 PM   #36759
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

With temperatures as low as 25 C, my girlfriend would put a light jacket on...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017, 06:41 PM   #36760
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

The 3 month accumulated precipitation at the nearby meteo station in Bergen has surpassed 850mm

Every crack on the rock cliffs is seeping water

Tags
highways, motorways