daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #36781
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Europeans who do not speak English natively often think highway exclusively means freeway / autobahn / autopista, etc. But the term highway can mean any type of road, for example state highway or provincial highway, and not only in the US.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kpc21 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2017, 09:55 PM   #36782
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

I've seen in many Italian texts (translated from English) the word 'autostrada' (motorway in Italian) referred to a normal road. Aparently, some translators translate automatically highway with autostrada, even when is referred to a non-motorway road and 'strada' (road) should have been used instead.
So you can find phrases such as 'Autostrada Transamazzonica' (Trans-Amazonian highway) or 'Autostrada del Karakorum' (Karakorum highway). They should instead write 'Strada Transamazzonica' and 'Strada del Karakorum' respectively.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 09:58 PM   #36783
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

M7 in Hungary is 3+2 in approx. 48 km.
Km 64.
Km 17.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 10:12 PM   #36784
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
M7 in Hungary is 3+2 in approx. 48 km.
Km 64.
Km 17.
Any reason for that?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old August 29th, 2017, 10:18 PM   #36785
italystf

If we count also emergency lane, Croatian A9 has it only southbound for its entire lenght (78 km, minus two half-profile viaducts).
This is because the southbound carriaggeway is older than the northbound one, that was built with modern standards.
Old August 29th, 2017, 10:21 PM   #36786
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Any reason for that?
M7 connects Budapest to lake Balaton and to the Croatian coast. Traffic to Balaton and Croatia spreads from Friday afternoon to Saturday noon, traffic back to Budapest is much denser in Sunday evening/night.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 11:56 PM   #36787
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I've just returned from a three-week road trip from USA, about 5500 miles or 9000 km in about 125 hours of driving. Approximate route, add additional here-and-there trips, mostly around national parks:
https://goo.gl/maps/UoopX74qWNz

I must say it was really satisfying trip albeit pretty tiring. Interesting experience from European point of view, especially driving wide rural highways with 65 or even 70 mph speed limit (110 km/h). Wide roads are actually everywhere and this I miss in EU.
Old August 30th, 2017, 11:43 AM   #36788
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Awesome! (What's in Merced, worth of such a detour? )
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 04:39 PM   #36789
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Only Spain seems to build many wide two lane roads. And those are not even as wide as some North American two laners.
Old August 30th, 2017, 05:24 PM   #36790
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21245

On the other hand, "super-two" and other designs with 2 lanes (one per direction) and physical separation of lanes are very uncommon in US.
Old August 30th, 2017, 06:11 PM   #36791
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Europeans who do not speak English natively often think highway exclusively means freeway / autobahn / autopista, etc. But the term highway can mean any type of road, for example state highway or provincial highway, and not only in the US.
I wouldn't use it for minor roads in rural areas, or for city streets.

EDIT: Let's refine that a little. Any freeway/autobahn/motorway/expressway, urban or rural, is a highway. Major roads...let's say anything with a U.S. or state number...in rural or suburban areas are highways. City streets, even main ones (Broad Street in Philadelphia for example), aren't highways (but a freeway/motorway... in an urban area is). Can't put a finger on why...maybe it's got to feel as if it's leading some place else.

I'm sure in some legal contexts, "highway" can mean any public road.

That's just me, but I'd guess most Americans use these terms the same way. Any input from Canadians, Brits, Aussies, etc.?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

ChrisZwolle liked this post

Last edited by Penn's Woods; August 30th, 2017 at 06:23 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #36792
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
I've just returned from a three-week road trip from USA, about 5500 miles or 9000 km in about 125 hours of driving. Approximate route, add additional here-and-there trips, mostly around national parks:
https://goo.gl/maps/UoopX74qWNz

I must say it was really satisfying trip albeit pretty tiring. Interesting experience from European point of view, especially driving wide rural highways with 65 or even 70 mph speed limit (110 km/h). Wide roads are actually everywhere and this I miss in EU.
What was your favorite area?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 30th, 2017, 06:27 PM   #36793
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
On the other hand, "super-two" and other designs with 2 lanes (one per direction) and physical separation of lanes are very uncommon in US.
Are 1+1 roads with physical separation common elsewhere?
For example in Italy there are many "super-two", but almost none I know is divided. I think they have some road like that in Denmark.
Old August 30th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #36794
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I'm sure in some legal contexts, "highway" can mean any public road.
In English (BrE? AmE? both?) there is the expression "highway code", that refers to rules valid in any kind of road, from pedestrian alleys to ten-lanes freeways.
Old August 30th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #36795
italystf

Quote:
Any freeway/autobahn/motorway/expressway, urban or rural, is a highway.
I wonder if there could be some freeway/autobahn/motorway/expressway that can't be called highways.
Maybe some short stretches in the middle of nowhere, part of uncompleted bigger projects, unconnected to the network and used only by local traffic.
In Italy A21racc, A31, A33, A59 and A60 come to my mind.
Old August 30th, 2017, 06:34 PM   #36796
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
In English (BrE? AmE? both?) there is the expression "highway code", that refers to rules valid in any kind of road, from pedestrian alleys to ten-lanes freeways.
That's what I was thinking of by "legal contexts."

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 30th, 2017, 07:07 PM   #36797
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Talking terminology: I just heard someone on the Weather Channel (round-the-clock coverage of hurricane aftermath in Texas) talk about "water up to the Jersey rails on Interstate 45." The speaker was identified as a Weather Channel employee, but wasn't one of their regular on-air people and seemed to be a local.

"Jersey barrier" - because they were supposedly first used in New Jersey - is used for concrete dividers in the middle of a highway, but I've never heard "Jersey rails"....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 30th, 2017, 07:26 PM   #36798
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've heard of the term 'K rails' as well. Appears to be a west coast thing. I've also heard about the 'no post'.
Old August 30th, 2017, 08:48 PM   #36799
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Awesome! (What's in Merced, worth of such a detour? )
A cheap motel.
Absolutely nothing is worth seeing in Merced. But all reasonable priced accommodation around Yosemite national park was full already in the beginning of this year and Merced was closest affordable on our route. August in most known US national parks is like ferragosto weekends on Italian roads.
Original idea of this trip however was to observe total solar eclipse and when you are already there ...
If I limit my thoughts about USA to road issues and what I miss here -
- cheaaaap gasoline
- wide roads, even country ones
- long on- and offramps from freeways
- turning right on reds
- good speed limit on most highways, up to 70 mph, nothing illogical
- special speed limits (like at schools) are clearly marked and valid only when yellow light is flashing or when children are actually present
- signs on interstates, which food, gas and accommodation companies await you at the next exit (there are no such rest areas as in Europe)
- a lot of large organized parkings on important viewpoints

What I won't miss:
- average pavement quality, often bad (depends of state)
- often confusing traffic lights in intersections
- too much words on signs (with some really funny warnings like "don't pass when incoming traffic")
- in average low speed limit on freeways (75 or 80 mph speed limit is mostly a rarity)

Penn's Woods, Sentilj, RipleyLV, bogdymol liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #36800
keber

Quote:
What was your favorite area?
That is difficult to say, everywhere was nice. But I was most surprised in Utah with astonishing nature.

bogdymol, Penn's Woods liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways